PPC412 Slats/Feet

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Semetery

PPC412 Slats/Feet

Post by Semetery » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 am

Hi there!

So I recently picked up 2 PPC412's and absolutely love the sound! My God do these things sound (and feel) heavy! I have fallen in deep for the brand, fast! I just got a Kemper but plan on grabbing a Dual Dark 100 sooner than later.

Now, one of them had the slats removed and casters added when I bought it. I knew ahead of time but didn't consider they'd remove the slats (guess I should have). Regardless, I got both for literally less than a single new one, so I can't complain too much. I can certainly see the upside to the casters, when we picked it up it was a lot easier to get in the house, but I'd like to have the slats on there since I won't be moving it much and that's how the other sits.

What should I do? I can't find them for purchase anywhere. From looking around I've seen people suggest making them but I'm not really sure the best way to do that. Should I just literally head to a hardware store and get some boards cut to a specific size or ? Is rubber a better way to go? If so, what size should I be looking for, does anyone know exactly for the 412's? I guess I could measure the other cab's but I'm still curious if there's a recommended way, size and material from you guys and gals.

Also, I'm considering stacking the the one with the casters on the other (taking the casters off, of course), would there be any benefit at all of having the slats at that point or just let them sit flush? I'm thinking it'll look nice.

Thanks to any and all!

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: PPC412 Slats/Feet

Post by Sooner » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am

The originals are made of 11-ply 3/4 inch plywood. Probably Baltic Birch, although any 3/4 wood thick would do. Soft woods like pine would be cheaper although less durable. No benefit to having the slats if you stack them other than protecting the bottom of the cab during transport.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:00 am

Sooner wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am
The originals are made of 11-ply 3/4 inch plywood. Probably Baltic Birch, although any 3/4 wood thick would do. Soft woods like pine would be cheaper although less durable. No benefit to having the slats if you stack them other than protecting the bottom of the cab during transport.

Yeap, just good quality plywood.

As for the advantage of the wooden skids to stack them, if you never move them, would be to prevent the tolex sticking to one another, but that shouldn't really be an issue.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:32 pm

As others have mentioned, you can get plywood to match what's on there, and that should be easy enough, considering you have another cab for reference. To make it like factory, you'll need some wood working tools, which you may or may not have.

If you're looking for a similar functional benefit, you can get some molding/trim strips from the hardware store, and just have the store cut them to length, which is no work to you. They're already rounded, so this is quick and easy. I get oak molding and cut 2 strips to cover the bottom of my combo amps and cabinets. Oak is very hard, so it's extremely durable, and I just stain it black and screw it in to the bottom. It saves the tolex on the bottom. I just drag them right over stairs, and slide them over the trunk threshold in my car without any worry of tearing the tolex up. The oak doesn't even splinter. I beat it up pretty bad, and it's held up on amps I've owned for 15 years +.

I like to put the rubber feet right on top of the trim, so I'm not making any new holes. In instances where I'm not using rubber feet, I just use a countersink bit or a forstner bit at the screw holes so the screw is countersunk.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 am

And no rubber feet on the top one if you stack them. Might stain the tolex on the bottom cab.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001