Micro Dark, recording with DI amp without cab

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

rob_kay

Micro Dark, recording with DI amp without cab

Post by rob_kay » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to record from the Micro Dark speaker output using an amp DI (Radial JDX48), without the cab, but with headphones.
Will this cause damage to the amp?
If I understand the manual correctly, as long as the headphones are connected, the cab doesn't have to be, but I'd like to confirm this before I fry this little cutie pie...
Apologies if this is a bit of a duplicate thread, as similar (albeit slightly different) questions have been asked.

Thanks!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Micro Dark, recording with DI amp without cab

Post by bclaire » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Wait, what?

I don't think you should do that from the output - from the headphone jack, sure. I don't know if the solidstate output section is ok without a speaker load and nothing in the headphone jack...

rob_kay

Post by rob_kay » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 am

Hey, thanks for your answer,

I think I might not have made myself clear. Here's the situation I'm trying to describe
- Studio headphones in Micro Dark headphones output at all times
- Micro Dark speaker out -> Radial JDX48 -> studio preamp

The JDX48 is designed to take the output of an amp and transform it to a balanced Mic level signal.
Normally, the cab would be connected to the JDX48 so that the amp sees a load.
But in this case there is a headphone out, which if in use (according to the manual), allows the amp to be used without the cab.
From the Micro Dark page on the Orange website:
"If the Phones jack is not in use, a suitable speaker cabinet must be connected at all times during use."

So my reasoning was, IF the Phones jack is in use, with a pair of studio headphones for instance, then can I send the Micro Dark speaker out to my JDX48 without the cab?

R.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Hmm. I see what you mean, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I would have thought that having the headphones plugged in would stop a signal to the output, but maybe not.