Rockerverb Mk2 sound issue

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dobranskym

Rockerverb Mk2 sound issue

Post by dobranskym » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi! I have recently bought Rockerverb 50 Mk2 second hand and I think I am having some sound issue. The tone on dirty channel is flat, muddy and pretty much unusable when the master volume is below 12 o'clock. When the amp is cranked it sounds great, however the loudness is insane then. The distortion level also can't be really called high gain, even when the gain is all the way up. Although it starts to distort more when the power section is above half way as I said. The clean channel is ok though. I am seriously disappointed, since I have spent some serious money on this amp.
If anyone has this amp, could you please tell me if this behaviour is normal with this amp or do I have some technical issue, probably with preamp tubes?
-Guitar: 2010 Gibson SG
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume
-Amps: Rockerverb 50 Mk2, Kustom Quad 200, Fender Mustang combo

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb Mk2 sound issue

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:29 pm

First thing I would do is change the tubes. Not normal.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 am

Yep definitely the first thing to do is you to get the tubes changed this is no way near normal....even saying the clean channel is ok is not a great endorsement!

Can you find out from the previous owner when the valves were last changed?

The volume knob should works super and give a very linear increase in volume - even surprisingly good at low volume. Unfortunately a change of valves could cost another 100 quid!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

dobranskym

Post by dobranskym » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks for help, but I think I have explained it wrong. The volume knob gives very linear increase in volume. However when the volume is set low, the sound is nowhere as good as when it is set high. It lacks low end, treble and definition. I have asked local guitar amp seller and he also told me that it is not normal and showed me how OR15 sounds when the volume is low. This thing is FAR superior to my top-of-the-line -Orange-amp. I hope that when I swap the tubes, it will change because otherwise I have just spent 1300 bucks on piece of pile of poop.
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume

dobranskym

Post by dobranskym » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 am

The previous owner told me that the amp has been used only a few times and then hasn't been used at all for 3 years or so. The valves have never been changed. Don't know if I should believe him, though.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:48 am

It's always a good idea to put in new tubes when purchasing a used amp. If you actually know the seller and are assured that the amp only had very few hours on it, then you might leave the tubes in, but in, but in your case, something does not seem right to you, so new tubes are the way to go.

I'd look at the new tube purchase as sort of an “insurance policy” on the future enjoyment of that expensive amp. Kind of like buying an expensive car and forking out more dough to insure it.

adkguy07

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:19 pm

dobranskym wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:34 am
Thanks for help, but I think I have explained it wrong. The volume knob gives very linear increase in volume. However when the volume is set low, the sound is nowhere as good as when it is set high. It lacks low end, treble and definition. I have asked local guitar amp seller and he also told me that it is not normal and showed me how OR15 sounds when the volume is low. This thing is FAR superior to my top-of-the-line -Orange-amp. I hope that when I swap the tubes, it will change because otherwise I have just spent 1300 bucks on piece of pile of poop.
The Rockerverb should definitely sound bigger than the OR15. However, not sure sure how you’re using it, but playing it at very low volumes isn’t going to make it sound the way it’s meant to. Not a bedroom amp.

dobranskym

Post by dobranskym » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Well, it seems that I have kinda got rid of the problem. It was my fault. The eq in this amp is different to what I am used to. It has naturally much more mids than any other amp I have played. I am really more of a metalhead than a rocker, but I don't like scooping the mids either. I have played with the equalizer and found the sound I have been looking for. I leave the mid knob somewhere at 9 o'clock now and add a bit more treble. I was used to TH30 sound which I had before and it has probably that eq when the tone knob is at 5/10. The gain is at 8/10 and if I need more, I add my Boss SD1 with level nearly maxed and a bit of drive. It tightens the bottom end too. The sound difference between master volume set low and at 6/10 is not that obvious now.
I will change the tubes anyway and see if it will got even better. I will also ask the technician if he can tweak the reverb knob sensitivity, because it is mega sensible and unusable at 1,5/10 and more. This is common problem with Mk1 and Mk2 as I know. So thx for help anyway!