TH30 intermittent cut-out

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Scholesy

TH30 intermittent cut-out

Post by Scholesy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:37 am

My second hand TH30 quite randomly decides to emit a loud noise that sort of sounded like when you touch the end of your instrument cable, only worse. I plug into it later and it works for sometimes hours, sometimes just minutes, then decides to cut out and does the same thing. I just plugged back into it and it did it again. No guitar signal is coming out at all. It just replaces my guitar with the horrible noise almost as if a fader knob is being turned up. It stops making the noise in standby, and starts right back up in full and half. It also does it in clean.

I have checked it with multiple guitars, instrument cables, cabinets, and speaker cables.

All four tubes are lit up...they are stock tubes and will be old. A matched set of all 7 tubes are on the way...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: TH30 intermittent cut-out

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

If it does it on the clean and dirty channel, I bet one or more of your power valves have gone bad.

Refrain from switching it on until you've replaced them all. Worst case scenario, and bad power valve can take out a few components (rare) and blow the fuse (common), which is just extra hassle.

Replace all EL84, and I bet your issue will be gone.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

robbvant

Re: TH30 intermittent cut-out

Post by robbvant » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 am

ya man, id retube all JJ's, preamp too while your in there. I just did it on mine under $100 amazon prime, 1 day shipping, good luck. you wont need it, its very simple.