Thuderverb 50 to Dual Dark 100 upgrade!!!? Makes sense? Is it worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Thuderverb 50 to Dual Dark 100 upgrade!!!? Makes sense? Is it worth it?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:08 am

I've never tried the Dual Dark, but the RV50 MKI I have is a real jack of all trades, master of them all type amp.

I love it. There isn't a thing it can't do extremely well. From jazz to metal....!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

dflipp

Post by dflipp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am
If you have to work to make your amp sound different for your core tone, you have the wrong amp.
I'm starting to think you are completely right... I keep getting this happening to me often: "Oh, that's sounds awesome! I want some of that!!", to later find it was a Dual Rectifier or a 5150. It kind of sucks because I'm "Orange at Heart". So, I'm looking to get the RV or the DD, in the next couple of months...

In the meantime, what can I do to "tighten" and make my Thunderverb 50 more "modern"?

Your input is very much welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Some ODs, especially if they have some bass control (so you can cut it) will work to tighten the bass.

Tube screamers can work very well, maxon and Ibanez come very recommended. Usually set with the gain low, just to colour your tone (boost mids, cut the bass).

An EQ pedal should get you there too.

The RV will not necessarily be tighter than the TV50. You may have the same issue there.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 pm

I will give you the unpopular advice but it sounds like you should probably get a Mesa or a 5150. They will do what you are describing straight out of the box. Plus side is, you can generally pick up a 5150 III 50 watt new for $1K or used for $600 which means maybe you could keep your TV as well as get a new amp.

The RV is more modern for sure and does a lot of stuff but getting a tight Mesa tone out of it isn’t something I have had luck with. Granted, I don’t personally care for the Mesa tone so I also haven’t been trying THAT hard to get it.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:54 pm
I will give you the unpopular advice but it sounds like you should probably get a Mesa or a 5150. They will do what you are describing straight out of the box. Plus side is, you can generally pick up a 5150 III 50 watt new for $1K or used for $600 which means maybe you could keep your TV as well as get a new amp.

The RV is more modern for sure and does a lot of stuff but getting a tight Mesa tone out of it isn’t something I have had luck with. Granted, I don’t personally care for the Mesa tone so I also haven’t been trying THAT hard to get it.
I agree.

Orange has a typical tone that i love and, whether it's my RV50, R30 or AD15, they all have a common ground despite sounding very different.

But I embrace their strong points.

If the basic Orange tone isn't what you need, get what you need. It happens. Get what works best for you!!! (We just won't speak to you anymore..... - just kidding :wink:)
Ant

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Definitely play one before you buy. I bought a DD50 for a band I was in without trying it out first, because I needed more headroom and "punch", but honestly never felt like I really bonded with the amp the way I did with my Rocker 30. I will say that all the features on the DD are great the dual channels are flexible, the effects loop and attenuator are great, it takes pedals well. Even on the 50 watt, there was way more bass on tap than I ever needed for doing stoner metal stuff like Mastodon, Baroness and QOTSA, I usually had the bass on the DD50 down around 9 oclock. I sometimes had trouble cutting through the mix unless I hit my TC Spark that was in the loop. Wish I had my Naga Viper treble booster when I was in that band to try out through the front end, probably would've given me the cut I was looking for. My issue with the DD50 is that the eq on the A channel just didn't have the range I was looking for, it could use a presence knob. Still love my Rocker 30 though!

I guess if you like the tone of the Thunderverb 50 though, the DD100 sounds like what you're looking for.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:02 am

Thunderverbs could also use a presence knob.