OR15 keeps blowing its fuse

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Tommyboy610

OR15 keeps blowing its fuse

Post by Tommyboy610 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 pm

So I recently purchased my first Orange amp and I'm loving it. The first head I purchased ended up blowing its fuse. The person I bought it from wanted it returned to him after I told him it stopped working but it ended up just being a fuse. I purchased a completely different amp again locally, same OR15 model. Been playing it for 2 weeks and working just fine. Amp is in mint like new condition with tag still on it. Yesterday I tried using it and the amp was having the same issue as the first amp that I returned. So I'm assuming it's a blown fuse. Now how could do separate amps have the same problem? Could it be the outlet being bad? I've had both plugged directly into the outlet when they blew. Maybe plugging into a power strip is a better option. I've had many different amps and never had any issues with fuses blowing though.

Also the fuse specs are T250maL 250v. Do I need the exact same fuse or just one with the same basic specs of 250ma and 250V. The T means timing and the L means low break. Not sure if I should get fast acting or slow blow. The hardware stores near me don't have that exact fuse listed, I can only find the exact ones online. I'm wondering if a fast acting timing fuse with 250ma and 250V will do the trick. I'd like to buy it in store today so I can determine if it is just a fuse issue.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR15 keeps blowing its fuse

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm

A fuse blows when something is wrong typically. Bad tube is usually the culprit and that can and will happen to any tube amp at any time.

It could be a voltage spike, too. Try replacing the fuse with the exact same one, and get yourself an outlet tester (a few bucks at the hardware store) and test your outlet to make sure it's wired properly. I always check outlets at gigs, too, so it has paid off many times. If the fuse holds, awesome. If the fuse blows, take it to an amp tech to sort it out or the dealer where you bought it if it is still under warranty. Not sure how long the tube warranty is, though

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 pm

My Dark Terror did something similar two weeks ago. After somemtube testing with the vendor's tech dept., we learned that it was not a power tube. I shipped to vendor under warranty repair work (I bought it new 10 months ago). I love the Orange tone from it and it was going fine. I've been using it primarily Of its 7-watt setting, but just before it went down I briefly had it at its 15-watt mode; from standby to 7 watts. I'm now wondering if that caused an intermittent “spike” to an internal fuse?! I use it plugged into a power strip.

The issue has happened to other, so I've read. Vendor email'd that they will keep me informed as to what they find....when it is the amp's turn in the repair queue.

Here is the link to my query recently in the Orange amp forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56743

adkguy07

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56743

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

You keep using the word, "vendor," and I'm trying to understand what you mean by that....

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

The “vendor” is one of the large online outfits. I purposely didn't use the exact name. Anyone reading here may PM for the name. A vendor is anyone who sells products or services.

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm
The “vendor” is one of the large online outfits. I purposely didn't use the exact name. Anyone reading here may PM for the name. A vendor is anyone who sells products or services.

adkguy07
Yeap, vendor = seller = retailer.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute