Orange CR120

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Orange CR120

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 am

Wow very impressive! A friend of mine got one and I had the chances to try it over the weekend at loud home volume , Great build quality, Great tones and really nice on board reverb, Orange really made a good job of these.... This must be a better choice for home practice than any of the orange valve amps?.... Sure the differences at gig volume is where the benefits of a valve Amp will become more obvious but well done Orange.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Re: Orange CR120

Post by lunchbox » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I love mine (CR120H and CRPRO412). Loud AF, great tone, versatile. I may be selling it soon though. It's way more than I need now since I can't find anyone to jam with in my new town. I'm gonna get a 1x12 combo and call it a day. Maybe a TT or something. Then I'll be looking to get a Gibby J-45.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am

I really like mine and it's pretty good at gig volume too.

Lunchbox, could you not keep your CR120 and maybe get a 112 and put a speaker in to handle the power? I tried a G12H-150 Redback in one of my 112 cabs a while ago and it sounded good. I found that pretty portable. I went back to using 2 112's though because I preferred the sound of the V30's. I didn't try any other high power speakers though. The good thing about the CR120 is that the tone doesn't change too much on low or high volume as I'm sure you know and it would be a shame to let it go. Cleans are great on it too..
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'd thought about that exact thing. But if I'm not going to be in a really loud band anymore (which seems more than likely at 48 years old and in the area I'll be moving to), then I just don't see the point in having a 120 watt amp that sounds best through a full stack cranked the F up. I'd rather have a grab-n-go 1x12" should I ever find a jam again. I really like the idea of either a TT combo, or maybe an OR15 w. a PPC112. I could always add a 2nd PPC112 to it for a mini stack should the need arise. I used to love the bedroom/garage level tone of the OR15 that I had. It's when it was cranked that it would lose balls and tone, imo.

But yes, the CR120H is a really, really great amp and sounds so much like a tube amp that 99% of musicians wouldn't know the difference in a blind recording. Here's some rough tracks from my last band (Hexarkana) for a sample. This was my guitar plugged straight into my CR120H and CRPRPO412. There are no effects or pedals of any kind. Just raw, gainy, hard, CR120 tone. Best heard through some earphones.

https://soundcloud.com/sirillsamustache-1

Sounds better than a lot of tube amps I've heard.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm

lunchbox wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, and I'd thought about that exact thing. But if I'm not going to be in a really loud band anymore (which seems more than likely at 48 years old and in the area I'll be moving to), then I just don't see the point in having a 120 watt amp that sounds best through a full stack cranked the F up. I'd rather have a grab-n-go 1x12" should I ever find a jam again. I really like the idea of either a TT combo, or maybe an OR15 w. a PPC112. I could always add a 2nd PPC112 to it for a mini stack should the need arise. I used to love the bedroom/garage level tone of the OR15 that I had. It's when it was cranked that it would lose balls and tone, imo.

But yes, the CR120H is a really, really great amp and sounds so much like a tube amp that 99% of musicians wouldn't know the difference in a blind recording. Here's some rough tracks from my last band (Hexarkana) for a sample. This was my guitar plugged straight into my CR120H and CRPRPO412. There are no effects or pedals of any kind. Just raw, gainy, hard, CR120 tone. Best heard through some earphones.

What about the a CR60 combo? That would be my choice over the tiny terror probably. Or TH30 combo.... Or R30 combo.

I like a clean (ish) channel.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 am
Wow very impressive! A friend of mine got one and I had the chances to try it over the weekend at loud home volume , Great build quality, Great tones and really nice on board reverb, Orange really made a good job of these.... This must be a better choice for home practice than any of the orange valve amps?.... Sure the differences at gig volume is where the benefits of a valve Amp will become more obvious but well done Orange.
My exact thoughts when i finally got to try it. It was the 212 combo. I suspect the speakers might let it down somewhat.... but what an amp regardless!!!! It really sounds great.

I was very impressed.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 pm

The speakers just need some break in time. They're a lot like V30's in that way (and sonically, but with a little more mids, imo).

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 pm

lunchbox wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm

That is a great guitar sound you got there!
Orange CR120C
Orange Rocker 15 Terror
Orange 212CB
Orange Two Stroke
JHS Haunted Mids
Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker
Gibson SG Jr
Gibson Les Paul Jr

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 am

It's important to let that V30 break in before giving it any critique. How would you guys describe an unbroken in V30 as opposed to one that's pretty well matured? :?:

My PPC112 was a bit spikey on the highs when new. I don't know if it was because I did not have my amp and guitar dialed in just right, but almost a year later it's shed some of those scratchy highs and the bass seems more natural and blended more smoothly with mids and highs.

I use a Dark Terror and it has a “shape” control rather than 3-band e.q. It's a clever design and infinitely variable the louder my DT gets. If I mange to hit the shape control's “sweetspot” in relation to my playing volume, it really can smooth and blend amp frequencies much betters and faster than a 3-band e.q.

What say you all?

adkguy07

JohnyWalter

Post by JohnyWalter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

So as many have said..The clean channel is amazing. And the range from clean to dirty is so easy to dial in what you want for blues a nice country sound or whatever you wish. I personally play heavy modern metal and it does not lack in any way. I like my tones with more dialed back gain and a good amount of mids and this amp delivers very well and sounds very good in my recordings. For the "djent" metal artist it'll need some help but that's not my style so it works well for my as it sits. However it is very receptive to pedals. For the price and sound quality I would recommend it to anyone.
"The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike antenna... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true."

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Just got my CR120C today. Gotta say I’m very impressed with the quality and I’m in love with the sound. I play a Hallmark 65 Custom and can get amazing surf tones out of the clean channel and perfect early LA punk tones from the dirty channel. This is just what I wanted and I couldn’t be happier
Orange CR120C
Orange Rocker 15 Terror
Orange 212CB
Orange Two Stroke
JHS Haunted Mids
Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker
Gibson SG Jr
Gibson Les Paul Jr