STRINGS! what do you use?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

STRINGS! what do you use?

Post by Wired » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Seeing as how I've been "out of the game" for 5 years I'm shocked to learn that my local shops no longer carry Dean Markley strings. I used to run an 11-50 with a wound third, but I can't find them anywhere and I need to order in "cartons" to get them. I don't like the inconvenience of not being able to drop in and buy, but will probably still do this anyways... in the meantime I loaded up each of my guitars with different variants of 11 gauge strings to see what I'd like.

Telecaster AM PRO: my most used guitar, logged around 20 hours on a set of Ernie Ball 11-48 Paradigm strings. They rusted on me really flippin quick (within 6 hours I noticed it, and I wipe down after every session). snapped the high E at the neck pickup this past weekend.

Put on a set of Dean Markley 11-52 wound 3rd yesterday, too much tension, the extra meat on the bottom strings made it really unruley. Will be ripping these off this weekend.

PRS Cu 24: Been putting some hours on it, about 5 so far. Strung with D'Addario NXYL 11-49. Seeing as how this guitar played stunningly well with the Markleys the slight change in tension did cause a need for some adjustments. It plays pretty good, but the tone seems flatter.

Les Paul Traditional: British Steel 11-48 is the flavor here. Very bright, responsive, and good feeling string. But very limited playing time and I see some rust already. My sweat must be too acidic for these...

Gibson ES-335: Elixr Polyweb 11-49 feel incredibly comfortable, lots of play time on this guitar and they still feel awesome. Still has some top end shimmer and good sustain. This is what I usually put on this guitar tho, and have for years. So it is as I expected...

So far, I like the tone of the EB Paradigms, but not happy with how quickly they deteriorated. I used to change strings monthly with 40 hours a month on them on average. The Paradigms are not cheap either at around $17 CAD a set... Was hoping for a bit more life out of them.

What do you guys use?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: STRINGS! what do you use?

Post by mici88 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Elixir Nanoweb user here, 10-46. They are a bit pricey, but last really long and stay "fresh" much longer, too.

However I am short on the money right now, so I'm back to EB Slinky (pink packaging) and they do the job as well.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:15 pm

No strings are better intoned, longer lasting and brilliant sounding that D'Addario 10's for electric guitar, or 12's for acoustic. Been using them for about 29 years. Just my two cents worth.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 pm

I've used Gibson Brite Wires 11-50 on 24"75 scale guitars, and fender bullet 10-46 strings for my Vigier, and regular Fender 10-46 for my other 25"5 scale guitar.

Both have been pretty good to me.

I've recently learnt that Daddario is the only company that will recycle strings/drum skins (from any other companies too) so my money will be going to them in the future. I'll have to figure out how I can send them my used strings for recycling too if I can.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Ten guitars, ten tunings so different sets. All D'addario tho.
Orange OR100
White LW100

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:40 pm

11-52 D'Addario.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 pm
I've used Gibson Brite Wires 11-50 on 24"75 scale guitars, and fender bullet 10-46 strings for my Vigier, and regular Fender 10-46 for my other 25"5 scale guitar.

I've recently learnt that Daddario is the only company that will recycle strings/drum skins (from any other companies too) so my money will be going to them in the future. I'll have to figure out how I can send them my used strings for recycling too if I can.
which Vigier do you have? they look interesting.

Looks like most of you guys like D'Addario. I never really found them that awesome... I'll give the NXYL a try on my Tele as they decent on my PRS. never liked the regular XL.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Wired wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:09 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 pm

which Vigier do you have? they look interesting.

Looks like most of you guys like D'Addario. I never really found them that awesome... I'll give the NXYL a try on my Tele as they decent on my PRS. never liked the regular XL.
My Vigier is a Vigier Expert Retro 54. Essentially a classic strat..... beside the fact that it blew away all strats I've had in my hands sinceI tried it. Very well thought out guitar, with a superb neck amongst things. I must say the carbon insert instead of the truss rod is pretty neat..... if you don't change string gauge, you never have to set it up again.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 am

Kalium Hybrid 43-150

I feel that these aren't going to be used by many of you guys.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 am

Nowadays I only use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 9-42, D'Addarios XL 9-42 & Dunlop 9-42 all Nickel wound but thru the nearly 40 years I have experimented with GHS Boomers, Dean Markley Cryo Blue Steels, Gibson Brite Wires, & Fender Bullets. But I always kept going back to the Ernie Balls & D'Addarios, they've been the best all thru the years for me since the beginning.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:11 am

I've had the best luck with Ernie Ball Slinkys - supers and regulars. Never had a problem unlike the D'Addario's which I tried and had dead G strings right out of the package. Nope.

Blowtorch

Post by Blowtorch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 am

I like using DR Strings. Pure blues for a more vintage tone and the Tite-Fit for a modern tone. They sound great and last a good long while for me.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MkII
Gibson Custom Shop 2005 Historic 58' Les Paul

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:47 am

I've recently started to use the long life D'addario nxyl strings - expensive but I think worth it, long life, Great tone, better and quicker tuning stability you can certainly see/ feel the higher quality.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm

I put the NXYL on my Tele last night. don't like them, they just dont feel or sound right... something I've felt about D'Addario for a while. I got a set of EB Cobalts I'm gonna throw on it tonight. Even my PRS doesn't like the D'Addarios, I'm noticing the attack and top end cut is quite a bit less than what I had before with my Blue Steels. Man I hate all the selections LOL
-LK

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Wired wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm
I put the NXYL on my Tele last night. don't like them, they just dont feel or sound right... something I've felt about D'Addario for a while. I got a set of EB Cobalts I'm gonna throw on it tonight. Even my PRS doesn't like the D'Addarios, I'm noticing the attack and top end cut is quite a bit less than what I had before with my Blue Steels. Man I hate all the selections LOL
Watch out for the Cobalts - let me know what you think of them. I found that my guitars didn't sound in tune with them since they allow for an increased magnetic pull compared to nickel. They were literally pulling themselves out of tune.