Moved from US to UK, change fuse?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

WayneGacy

Moved from US to UK, change fuse?

Post by WayneGacy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

I own a Brent Hinds Terror i purchased in the US and the markings on the back says its 100V. Do i need to replace fuse before i plug it in here in the UK?
Also would anybody know where i can buy a new cable for the amp so i dont have to run it into a converter?

Mr Mustard
Tiny Terror

Re: Moved from US to UK, change fuse?

Post by Mr Mustard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

You need to change the fuse from 1 amp to 500 ma. But more importantly the amp will need to be re-wired internally to run on UK voltage or you'll need a step-down transformer to use it there.
Mr. Mustard

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

A step down transformer is the easiest way. UK is on 220V

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 pm

WayneGacy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm
I own a Brent Hinds Terror i purchased in the US and the markings on the back says its 100V. Do i need to replace fuse before i plug it in here in the UK?
Also would anybody know where i can buy a new cable for the amp so i dont have to run it into a converter?
As the others have helpfully said, you will need either a step down transformer, or swap the transformer cables inside the amp.

I believe you're misunderstanding the fuse function. A fuse is a passive electrical component that will fail if too much current passes through it. When it fails, it shuts down the amp amd protects the much more expensive amp circuitry, valves and transformers most of the time.

A fuse cannot increase or decrease voltages/current, but needs to be changed depending on the input voltage assuming the transformer is correctly wired.

Rewiring your amp is pretty simple. All a tech needs to do is swap 2 wires from the power supply to different taps on the transformer. Once done, you could use a local power chord to save having to use an adaptor. You would need to get it rewired as well when going back to the US.

Using a step down transformer doesn't need to do anything to the amp..... but you run the risk of someone plugging your amp without it and possibly frying your amp. You also need more gear around..... step down transformer, adaptor.......

If you're staying in Europe a while, rewiring the transformer is the best option IMO.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 am

WayneGacy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Hey Wayne. Are you related to John? 8)
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001