1975 Orange Custom Twin Reverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Stringer99

1975 Orange Custom Twin Reverb

Post by Stringer99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi, I have an old 1975 Orange custom twin reverb combo amp with the original foot pedal and A4 wiring diagram. The model on the back is 125 and the serial number is 1063. It also has the number 5886 stamped on the "Warning high voltage" plaque on the back in silver. If anyone out there has any info on this type of Amp or this particular amp, I would be interested to hear back. I have owned it for the last 35 years and would love to have some background info on it if anyone knows anything about these amps (history, current value etc).
Thanks

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: 1975 Orange Custom Twin Reverb

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Stringer99 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:02 pm
Hi, I have an old 1975 Orange custom twin reverb combo amp with the original foot pedal and A4 wiring diagram. The model on the back is 125 and the serial number is 1063. It also has the number 5886 stamped on the "Warning high voltage" plaque on the back in silver. If anyone out there has any info on this type of Amp or this particular amp, I would be interested to hear back. I have owned it for the last 35 years and would love to have some background info on it if anyone knows anything about these amps (history, current value etc).
Thanks
They are pretty rare, but unfortunately not as valuable as the more common OR80/120 of the same time.

They were a spin off of the Fender Twin Reverb, and apparently pretty good at that, though with a different voicing I understand.

How do you like yours?
How do you use it?

As for value, eBay will not help- not enough of them sell there. But I have seen some in the UK for £400/£500 and not sell for ages.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Hey Steve - you got it sorted!

There's one on here if you scroll down and click Hustler 2X12:
http://www.orangefieldguide.com/

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 pm

There’s info on the Orange Field Guide, and I have one. Mine is squirrelly, but it’s all there. Architecturally, it’s a bit of a missing link between a pix only OR120 and a Fender Twin Reverb. Design-wise, it is Orange’s first departure from the Mat Mathias designs.

Stringer99

Post by Stringer99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Wow, thanks Billy. Exactly the same as mine but a little cleaner! You guys really know your stuff. Is there anywhere I could take my amp to get it cleaned and tested? As far as I'm aware it works perfectly but I wouldn't like to take it past 3 on the volume scale as a) it's too loud and b) I wouldn't want to damage it. However, with a good service and clean, I've no doubt it's as good as the one in the pics.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Stringer99 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm
Wow, thanks Billy. Exactly the same as mine but a little cleaner! You guys really know your stuff. Is there anywhere I could take my amp to get it cleaned and tested? As far as I'm aware it works perfectly but I wouldn't like to take it past 3 on the volume scale as a) it's too loud and b) I wouldn't want to damage it. However, with a good service and clean, I've no doubt it's as good as the one in the pics.
I would say, find an amp tech to test it out and clean out the inside - but cosmetics will require a little bit of elbow grease! and maybe an old toothbrush to get into the tolex to clean it. I'd try a little soapy water to begin with...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 am

bclaire wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:47 pm
Stringer99 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm
I would say, find an amp tech to test it out and clean out the inside - but cosmetics will require a little bit of elbow grease! and maybe an old toothbrush to get into the tolex to clean it. I'd try a little soapy water to begin with...
I've found baby wipes to be excellent at cleaning Orange amp tolex. Especially if they haven't been used on a baby before.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:06 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 am
I've found baby wipes to be excellent at cleaning Orange amp tolex. Especially if they haven't been used on a baby before.
LOLOLOLOLOL!
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 am

This was an interesting Orange amp, but unfortunately not really one that ever got popular. IMO, the sound is reminiscent of a silver faced twin. A friend of mine had the head version years ago, though it's been some time since I played through one.

Anyways, any competent amp tech should be able to give the amp a once over and make sure it's functioning properly. I believe there is a schematic on the OAFG, linked above. Though, I'd stay away from any tech that won't work on an amp without you providing a schematic.

You can clean tolex with nice results with a cloth and a mild cleaner or some soap. Ant's baby wipe method likely works well too. If you really want the amp to look brand new, a toothbrush or another soft bristled brush is the way to go. Put some mild soap (I use facial cleanser right out of the shower) in a bowl with warm water. Dip the toothbrush in it, and scrub lightly in circles to loosen the dirt. Scrub lightly...don't use a lot of pressure. Just enough to agitate stains and remove the contamination. Wipe with a clean damp cloth, then follow with a dry one.

Do small sections as a time. Be very mindful of how much moisture you are applying near tolex seams. If you get water under the tolex, it can lift and you'll be trying to glue it back down.

My OR-80 was a bit dirty when I got it. Beer stains and the like, but the tolex was in great shape in terms of scuffs or tears (as in, it has none). I used the toothbrush method and the amp looks brand new now.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI