OR15 vs Rocker 15 Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ktymko92

OR15 vs Rocker 15 Terror

Post by Ktymko92 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Looking for some info on the two amps. No stores around me carry the 15 terror so I haven't been able to play it but I love the sound of the OR15. I play stuff in the style of the black keys/arctic monkeys and am wondering if both these amps do the trick. The bedroom mode on the rocker 15 terror is really interesting to me as this will be my home use and gigging amp. I only play small venues so I domt need any more power. Any info would be great!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR15 vs Rocker 15 Terror

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

The Rocker 15 Terror is so new that I'm not sure stores have it yet! I heard it at NAMM and it sounded great but didn't A/B with an OR15.

bigchops2

Post by bigchops2 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 pm

I just ordered a Rocker 15 to replace my Dual Terror so I'll try and follow up with some thoughts. The OR15 is only 1 channel, so unless you are really comfortable riding the guitar volume to control the level of distortion, the Rocker 15 terror might give you more flexibility if you snag a footswitch. I know I do when I'm jamming to some Maiden and I need to go from crystal clear to high gain in a snap.

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm not super familiar with the bands you mentioned other than that the black keys use a lot of fuzz but I can tell you the OR15 isn't great with fuzz since it doesn't have a lot of headroom. I tend to run all my fuzz pedals through the clean channel on my rockerverb instead. With that being said, the OR15 itself can do a good heavy fuzz tone, especially with the neck pickup on a strat

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 am

I already have the Jim Root Terror, Dark Terror, and Micro Dark Terror and I originally was looking to add the Dual Terror since its a 2 channel amp and double the Wattage but doesn't have an FX Loop which is imperative for me, my 2 pedalboards are both setup with split signals for Preamp pedals and FX Loop for the delays, mods, etc. I was almost going to go for the OR15 which I had an opportunity to try out at a Guitar Center near me, very similar to my Jim Root & Dark Terrors. It was definitely in the ballpark of my tone preferences. Orange introduced the new Terrors early this year so I held off from buying the OR15 ad immediately ordered the Brent Hinds model when they became availabe. But after a few weeks with it I just could not get a tone that I truly loved, it was a bit too bright for my taste. I returned it in exchange for the Rocker 15 model and I was so happy that I did.

This amp fits right in with the tone I have made my own with the other Terrors, plus, that it has the natural clean 2nd channel was a big plus and of course the FX Loop. The Rocker 15 Terror is not a "monster of high gain" amp like the OR15, Jim Root, and Dark Terrors are, but it does have the vintage warm tone Orange is known for. Depends on how much gain you're looking for, if you use overdrives like I do then the Rocker 15 head will work out for you as it does for me.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:35 am

Good information! I'm going to have to seek out the Rocker 15 Terror myself and check it out. I was using mu OR15 the other day for a really small gig, and it was just a little too compressed for what I was trying to do - plus I needed a second channel. I run all my effects into the front of the amp (AD30TC combos usually) so that isn't a concern for me, but going from one to the other simply never works. Too much effort involved and who wants to get a second effects rig just for that?

oban14

Post by oban14 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

This intrigues me. I love my OR15 for the classic rock vibe i get but never put the gain past noon. Was considering messing with the tubes to ease the gain progression but if the Rocker 15T is more "vintage" I may need to test that as well.

Thanks for the review comparison.