OR15 versus Rocker 15 Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bluemoon

OR15 versus Rocker 15 Terror

Post by bluemoon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Has anyone tried these two amps? If so, what is the biggest difference. Which is better for more classic 70s rock?

I am thinking for picking one up as a second amp. I currently have a Fender Deluxe Reverb that I love and will continue to be my primary amp. Just wanted something to mess around with for some higher gain stuff....but still in the 70s rock gain range.

oban14

Re: OR15 versus Rocker 15 Terror

Post by oban14 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 pm

I have not tried the Rocker but I own the OR15 with a PPC112 with a V30.

The reason I bought it was that I could really get that Kossoff vibe from it. No other amp I tried could get me there. It does Free, Thin Lizzy, Zepp, Zuma Era Neil Young, Sabbath, even some early 80's stuff like AC/DC. You can get all those tones without ever pushing the gain past 2 pm. There is a lot of modern gain on tap higher up but i don't use it.

You can even get a real nice warm clean by keeping the gain around 8-9 pm and using your volume knob at 1-3 pm. I find i love playing clean on this amp with a good guitar its very warm and bluesy. It's not fender but its got a real soul of its own.

I also find it plays better with vintage wound pickups, Hot/modern pickups can sometimes drive you into gain too early and you lose some articulation. The key for me was to get the master volume up as high as i can for the room then dial the gain in to taste, pickup style, and guitar. I find if you stay too low on the master volume with you need to be careful with the gain as it can gets more modern sounding faster and IMHO it loses some of its organic feel.

Its a great amp. It loves LP, Strats and Teles equally. It is also loud for 15W.

Hope this helps.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Are you looking at the Terror Head or the Combo? As you will know, the OR15 is only available as a head. If you were to match it with a PPC 112, it will be a very different proposition to the Rocker 15 Combo as that 12" speaker sounds a lot different to the 10" one in the combo.

If you compare the Terror head with the OR15 then I doubt there would be a huge difference in sound but I've not tried the Terror head. The Terror will give you the Natural channel which should be great if you use or want to use channel switching. It probably also has a little more volume before it starts to break up. They appear to be priced nearly the same. You pay for a plywood box with the OR15 and for the second channel on the Rocker Terror! There's probably enough difference to justify both in the range but which one works best for you will be personal preference.

Neither are much like a Fender amp :lol:

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Forgot to say - BOTH will do 70s rock perfectly well.

bluemoon

Post by bluemoon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm

PBA wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm
Are you looking at the Terror Head or the Combo? As you will know, the OR15 is only available as a head. If you were to match it with a PPC 112, it will be a very different proposition to the Rocker 15 Combo as that 12" speaker sounds a lot different to the 10" one in the combo.

If you compare the Terror head with the OR15 then I doubt there would be a huge difference in sound but I've not tried the Terror head. The Terror will give you the Natural channel which should be great if you use or want to use channel switching. It probably also has a little more volume before it starts to break up. They appear to be priced nearly the same. You pay for a plywood box with the OR15 and for the second channel on the Rocker Terror! There's probably enough difference to justify both in the range but which one works best for you will be personal preference.

Neither are much like a Fender amp :lol:
W0uld go for the Rocker 15 head and PPC 112. Love my fender and it is my go-to amp in most cases. But having a second amp for more higher gain sounds at decent volumes is a plus.

I am not sure I would use the "natural" channel and I have never had much success with attenuators. If the two amps are pretty close, then I would probably lean toward the OC15. Need to get my hands on both to try them.