Are Orange Amps getting it right????

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Are Orange Amps getting it right????

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 am

I dont think so ......

I know we have talked about this before but its worth repeating...

I am a long term Orange amp user, but there's nothing in the current line up that I would consider buying to tempt me away from my AD30htc (which is a great amp) or at least make me get another.

I own a TTHW its a good lunchbox amp but (despite being hard wired) cant hold a candle to the full sized AD30 head with full sized transformers etc.

The Only 50 watt full size amp....(in the entire range) .... with el34s, and 3 band eq is the Rockerverb mkiii which is incredibly expensive even in the uk.

The only 30 watt full size head with effects loop is the th30 and that does not even have a full eq?

The Rocker 32 seems like a totally missed opportunity.....only a combo??? with 10 inch speakers???? ...its seems Orange only intention was to build a stereo cab.....Ill give it 3 years before it gets discontinued.

Yes I have to agree Orange need to introduce another full size head, there does seen to be a gap in the lineup..... probably made in china to keep costs down , 50 watts with 3 band eq , effects loop, maybe 2 channels (or maybe only 1) and power scaling.....with el34s.......OK similar to the RVmkiii but significantly cheaper but to make it different I'd base it around the OR models.

I think Ill just wait for an second hand Or50 or R30 head to come up for sale.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Are Orange Amps getting it right????

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 am

I must say that I agree.

I'm wondering what they have in store for their 50th anniversary. I'm sure there'll be a nice amp around the corner.

Orange, beside the AD30, have killed all vintage voiced amps (excluding the uber expensive nut very nice custom shop).
And something with an FX loop would be nice!!!

I'm wondering what the sales of OR50 and OR100 were like.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:20 pm

They make quite a few I like! I would like an AD30, but can't really justify it at this time. I do think a Chinese 30 or 50 watt head would be a good idea. I'm running my TH30 and OR15 in sort of a pseudo stereo fashion and they do everything I want.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:25 pm

I think it's all business. They're a privately owned amp company which makes them unique for the size they have grown. They have to compete in a modern time where the used market is massive and the amp market is flooded with boutique companies and cheap amps. They aren't the company they were when the AD30 and the Tiny Terror etc, first came out. It's expensive to start a new line of an amp on a mass production scale, everything has to be redesigned and tooled. Times are changing. Even some of those boutique companies are changing because they won't survive on amp sales alone, Synergy is a pool of them together sharing the profits. I hate to sound like I'm giving excuses for them, but it makes sense to me if that's the case and maybe I'm wrong. Never met Ade, but seems like a guy that loves building amps, and possibly lot's of amazing things have passed over his work bench that never made it to production because of costs and making smart business decisions. They sell a lot of they amps they're putting out now because they found a market that works in these times and they do try to listen to customers.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Sure its all about business.

So surely a cheaper 50 watt amp makes some sense.

and you only need to look at what Laney or Blackstar are turning out for £700 - £1000....sure not as desirable or trendy as orange.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Maybe the Crush Pro’s are their answer to a powerful low priced amp. They certainly expanded that line to more than one product and it seems to sell for them. Maybe a Crush Pro Tube is in order.

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I think they're getting it right if they are selling amps and stay in business. I own 3 orange amps and a cab for each one (rockerverb mkiii 100+ppc412, OR15 +ppc112, micro dark +ppc108). Aside from that, they make (or made) a lot more products I wish I owned/ hope to own in the future (OR100, ad30, rocker 15, bax bangeetar, two stroke, amp detonator, ob1-500, another ppc112, ppc212 in any configuration, obc115). I can't think of another company where I'd want to own so much of their product line.

I see A LOT of posts online of people who have/ like/ want a TH30, TH100, or CR120. None of those interest me ijn the slightest, but at times it seems the CR120 might be the most popular amp orange currently makes. That seems like they're getting it right, especially considering how affordable that amp is.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 pm

I still haven't tried a CR60 or CR120. I'm really curious about those.

The thing is that whilst I dream about an OR50 or OR100, Orange stopped making them whilst they're still selling TH30 / TH100. That tells me the OR we lust after simply weren't selling, and that whilst we might crave vintage fuzzy tones, most people don't.

Certainly though, Ade got something right with the AD30 - they've been selling them for over 15 years now. A shame they stopped the AD15 though, that's a great little amp too. I've heard that it was to expensive to produce. Anyway..... I digress...... not for the 1st time!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:26 am

I have a hard time getting a read on orange. They have these great amps they release and then for odd reason, discontinue them. I don’t understand why they discontinued the TT but are still offering the Dual Terror, Dark Terror, and #4 terror.

Also the Thunderverb series was a bit different than anything else they have out now so why discontinue that without a replacement?

I get the feeling a lot of this is strategy. Perhaps there is something coming down the pipeline and they had to simplify their offerings to make room.

I would love to see them do some more Reissues or CS amps. Seems like the classic OR series would be a good staple since it is so classic.

However, most of the amps people are craving are readily available used yet so maybe they are trying to not get stuck reliving what they are known for?

Time will tell.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

orangeadam

Post by orangeadam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 am

I think they would do well to make an OR50 with power scaling like the RV MkIII has so it can go from 50 to 25 to 12.5. I think that would be killer because then it can appeal to the stage player that just wants one amp that can be used in the bedroom as well. Also I think the Master like on the RV would be great as well but would be more willing to sacrifice this feature. I can understand discontinuing the TV series given they still have the TH but I definitely think they need another OR in the lineup especially given how much people love the OR15. I would be interested to know why they discontinued the OR50 previously though.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 am

No one mentioned the Dual Dark serie, that runs EL34, and is still in production.
To me, this amps are in the line of TH100, with more controls and a UK make, and the big price tag that goes with.
This line of amp is not wrong, more flexible than the name suggest. Orange should keep on doing real big amps, with some modern sound twist.
Not sure I would like another OR or Rockerveb. And I agree with Ronnie, the R32 with 10" speaker as only choice is a non sense.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 am
No one mentioned the Dual Dark serie, that runs EL34, and is still in production.
To me, this amps are in the line of TH100, with more controls and a UK make, and the big price tag that goes with.
This line of amp is not wrong, more flexible than the name suggest. Orange should keep on doing real big amps, with some modern sound twist.
Not sure I would like another OR or Rockerveb. And I agree with Ronnie, the R32 with 10" speaker as only choice is a non sense.
I was just about to post this. I have the DD50 and it's one of the best. Attenuator, two 4-stage, differently voiced channels, FX loop and a half power switch. Can do everything from metal to classic tones equally well. British made but yes not cheap.

Orange Sunshine

Post by Orange Sunshine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I've registered a few new Orange pieces I've bought. When doing so they asked for comments. I've always requested an OR120 that is built and sounds like the original '60s/'70s range but has power scaling, 2/4 valve features, and a master volume that is removable from the circuit. It would be nice if it had vintage and modern gain options too. I've also emailed them about it a few times. I've told them, that while I like and buy their modern products, it seems a shame not to have the original OR range available. It would probably be expensive but quality is worth paying for.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 pm

They're doing it right for me.

I'm just a home player, so I don't need the wattage. I have owned 3 100w heads and 1 120w head. I've had a few 4x12's and one Orange 2x12. Either had to use an attenuator or a PPIMV on the high watt heads.

I briefly owned an OR15 and PPC112, bought new, but it had an annoying hum that caused me to return it. (Found out later that there's an internal pot that is supposed to be able to fix the hum... dunno if that's true.)

I then owned a TTHW with another PPC112, both bought used. Man, I loved that amp, but long story short, had to sell it.

Then got a Rocker 15 combo and it's my keeper. Had a Marshall 1w Offset when I got the R15 but the R15 did everything the Marshall could, so sold the Marshall.

I know many subscribe to the theory that there's no replacement for displacement. And I get it, I do. But, been there, done that. The R15 is perfect for my needs and I've read that it's a good amp for bar/club gigs too.

As a couple other forum members have said; it's a bidnez, this making amps thing. My guess is they discontinued the TT because they were going to release the R15 and R32 combos. And the R15 must have been successful, hence the new R15 and Brent Hinds heads. And someone posted another thread on why there's no R32 head. I would love to hear the R32's stereo capabilities, but couldn't justify the cost b/c I'm just not that good a guitarist and couldn't justify buying stereo FX on top of the amp. But I was interested...

And, probably like everyone else here... if I had an unfettered gear fund, I'd buy every Orange amp model I could get my hands on. Including the Big Iron babies!

Happy with my R15 and my Two Stroke. Rock on!
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 am

orangeadam wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 am
I think they would do well to make an OR50 with power scaling like the RV MkIII has so it can go from 50 to 25 to 12.5. I think that would be killer because then it can appeal to the stage player that just wants one amp that can be used in the bedroom as well. Also I think the Master like on the RV would be great as well but would be more willing to sacrifice this feature. I can understand discontinuing the TV series given they still have the TH but I definitely think they need another OR in the lineup especially given how much people love the OR15. I would be interested to know why they discontinued the OR50 previously though.
My guess is that if it had sold well, they'd still sell it now.
Ant