Crush Pro 120 Head buzz

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

pab1992

Crush Pro 120 Head buzz

Post by pab1992 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on their Crush Pro 120 heads...

A few weeks ago I ordered one, it came, and it was faulty. The dirty channel kept cutting in with a LOT of noise and crackling. Anyway, I sent it back, it was tested and they sent me a brand new one back.

I plugged it in for a gig on Saturday night and it just seemed to have a huge amount of buzz/hum on the dirty channel.

I had both the master and the channel volume set to around 1 o clock and the gain at just under half way (that's not much right?).

But the hum/buzz was really loud. I was using a telecaster, but I had my friend plug in his Gibbo Les Paul and it was pretty much the same with that. Also, we checked leads and plugged in directly rather than through my pedal board etc...

Question is, is this normal at those volume/gain settings? If I turned the gain up to anywhere past half way the buzz got a bit ridiculous. I was having to live on my volume knobs throughout.

I can understand if I was in a thrash metal band, but I really didn't feel as if I had that much gain on ... and gain usually only delivers a hiss rather than a buzz, am I right?

I fiddled around with it, but couldn't get it up to stage levels without the buzz, no matter what I tried. How do you guys set yours?

Really, any advice is appreciated ... obviously this is the second head I've had and I really want to get it sorted. Put it this way, I love the tone of the amp, but I'm quite disappointed in Orange if they think it's okay to send an amp out with that much buzz...

Thanks everyone

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Crush Pro 120 Head buzz

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 am

It doesn't sound normal. Did you try it somewhere else? Did you have the same buzzing elsewhere?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pab1992

Post by pab1992 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

I haven't tried it anywhere else yet. I was playing at a bar Saturday night and that was the first time I'd turned it on. My first crush pro 120 head had to be sent back as it was faulty, but I can't remember that buzzing so much at the practice room I use (I don't have my 4x12 at home with me...).

Like I said, I could understand if I had the gain absolutely cranked but it was only at 12 o clock... I could have done with turning up further on stage (we play far too loud, but it's a battle I can't win), but I didn't want to with all the buzzing.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 pm

It could also be due to the electricity supply at the place you played.

I'd recommend that you try it out again somewhere else. If it's noisy again, I'm afraid you'd have to send it back.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pab1992

Post by pab1992 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Yeah... thanks again, much appreciated.

I'll try it on Thursday. Really hope that was the case.. this is the second one I've had now and it's such a fuss arranging to send it back etc. Plus, I need an amp.

Is there anyone else on here who has this head? If so, do you experience any buzzing at both volumes at 1'o'clock and gain at 12?

Thanks

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm

I uavent owned the amp myself, but several forum member have one and love it. I can safely say it shouldn't buzz.
Ant

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:59 am

I have buzzing and crackle on both clean and dirty channels. For the longest time I thought it was speaker issues with the matching cab. It turned out to be I was clipping the input on the amp and honestly it sucks to say but this is apparently - it is what it is scenarios.

I honestly think that most who love these have truly never opened these amps up - sound wise because once you start to crank just a hair louder than bedroom level it starts to fall apart and in a band setting you might not be able to hear this to well. You would expect at 120 watts and a dedicated 4x12 cabinet you’d be able to lay it down good enough decently but again once you barely open the amp up louder than bedroom level - it’s a disaster and a bad one and again if it’s in a band setting this may not be noticeable as the amp does tend to get lost a bit.

Basically it’s a good “low volume” bedroom player disguised in a half stack appearance - to make you think it’s ready to conquer the real stage, until you try the real stage and at that point your looking at the Rockerverb thinking I should have just saved up more money. I think those who say their great on stage could possibly not be hearing the amp fully due to the rest of the band - which I also found to be an issue with the CR120H getting lost.

If anyone is interested in the Crush or Crush Pro Series I would say it’s only good for bedroom use and buy the cheapest model like the CR60 or whatever. If your serious about Orange and want a true Rockerverb which the CR120H Crush Pro Head is based on then just save up your money to buy the real deal or go buy a used Rockerverb. Beyond bedroom playing these amps are not so great. I’m now considering a Rockerverb 100 MKiii but I still have a funny taste in my mouth from the experience with my Orange CR120H and Crush Pro 4x12 cabinet but then again that’s my fault. I see the Orange CR120H Crush Pro and Crush Pro 4x12 cabinet no different than say the now discontinued Vox VT100 & V412BK matching cabinet or the Marshall MG100 & MG412 matching cabinet. Although I would say the Vox listed above would be more useful and better than the Orange CR120H and Crush Pro 4x12 Cabinet - just my opinion.

You could do a search on the forum here and see issues similar and I’ve posted my own issues that are similar. Those with the CR60 or less seem pretty happy and not really any issues. I think the CR60 should have just been the big version and no CR120. I do find myself shaking my head here because I would never in a million years see Mesa Boogie, Soldano, ENGL and similar manufacturers attempting this like Orange did with the Crush series. I think Orange should have created the CR60 for the biggest solid state of the Crush series and never made the CR120. I think Orange had great intentions with the Crush series being practice amps and semi small pub amps but at some point it kind of got of control.

Lastly I wanna say I’m not hating on Orange because Orange is Orange and Orange sounds great - tube that is. I just don’t want someone else to have high hopes but to be “Crushed” lmao when they realize it’s not what it’s not what they thought it was. If you truly want Orange there is only one way to go and that’s tube driven Orange. I learned my lesson and never again. For the price of the CR120H and matching 4x12 cabinet you could by a nice used Orange that’s using tubes or something else at least. My sights are still looking towards buying a Orange Rockerverb MKiii - which I should have done in the first place. If it’s to good to be true then most likely it is. If you care about your tone, response and more than get an Orange tube amp.
Last edited by Lyric on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, just a quick response as just about to travel. I'm one of the happier users and unlike Lyric, don't have any problems with loudness. I have the CR120H through 2 x 112 16 ohm cabs and get it very loud for clubs and pubs. I don't have any buzzing or noise issues at all. I'll note down the settings at some point at our loudest gig and post those, but nope, no problems with how loud it can go or buzzing/noise. Strat, Tele and LP used. I only use one pedal and that is a delay straight into the amp.
Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

pab1992

Post by pab1992 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am

Interesting replies! Thank you very much.

Lyric - I can understand your point. Though, I have to say that I have absolutely no issue with the amps in regards to the tone or the 'feel' of it. I love how it sounds, and it's definitely loud enough for gigging.

It just the amount of noise it puts out when it's cranked. More specifically, the 'buzz'.

Rozz - If you could post your setup and that'd be awesome. Also, if you could put your amp to pretty much how I had mine and report back, I'd be really grateful.

I'm running mine through a Marshall MX412 cab, so I don't see how there would be any issues there...

Hoping it was just an iffy power supply or something at the bar I played at. Just found out I can't test it again until next Thursday! It's going to be driving me mad.

Thanks again.

pwrknwldg

Post by pwrknwldg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm

What you're describing sounds like a venue issue, not a CR120 issue; it'd be exceptionally bad luck to get two faulty units in a row, and while there's definitely *some* hiss and noise as you crank the amp (either MV or gain), that's just part of the deal with any high-volume or high-gain scenario.

With my CR120H, I experienced something very similar to your situation: a loud background buzz, loud even at lower volume settings in the dirt channel (much less so, but still there, on the clean channel). As it turns out, my basement is a noise nightmare scenario: poorly-shielded wiring, crappy flourescent lighting, and all wiring on the same breaker. Every last bit of interference--including from the lights--was being carried into and through the amp, amplified and intensified all the more in the dirt channel. My solution? A $25 Behringer MicroHD hum eliminator. Ran it between the pedalboard and main input (and because I bought the 4-channel model, also on the way into the effects loop) and the buzzing disappeared. Because every venue is different in terms of their power loads, lighting, and other electro-gremlins, it's probably worth it to have one (or something similar) on hand at all times; it's also small enough (you can fit it in your pocket) that you can velcro the thing to the side of the head and use it as part of your signal chain everywhere (it's a passive device, so no need to power it).

Worth a try?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 am

I have a plug-in outlet tester that I use at every venue's outlets that we could potentially plug into. It was cheap (less than $10) from a local hardware store, but I have found some wacky wiring at places. That little tester saved me and my gear

pab1992

Post by pab1992 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guy. Much much much appreciated.

Managed to get hold of a 2x12 cab...

Firstly, pwrknwldg ... I read what you put at work and decided to grab one of those Behringer MicroHDs on the way home. Plugged it in, and if anything, it made the buzzing worse :/ I put it through input 1 and then output 1 into the amp...

Tested the amp at home, nothing else plugged in, just that. Still buzzing quite a bit set at the levels I'd need to gig. Noticed that this buzzing is actually on both channels not just the dirty.

The buzzing goes away when I roll down the volume on the guitar... both on single coils and humbuckers. Also, when I move the guitar around, I find patches where it is much better.

Does this suggest its just a characteristic of the amp? I know it's electrical interference, but there's nothing else turned on or plugged in upstairs in my house. The amp right next to where it is plugged in though... could this affect it?

I just want to get to the bottom of whether this is normal or not before next week (I have until 1st March to return it).

Thinking of trying a noise suppressor pedal next week if I can get hold of one... are these noted for sucking tone? I LOVE the tone of the CR120H, but don't want a pedal ruining it. Also, there's quite a lot of 'hiss' when it's really cranked... again, have you guys found the same?

Thanks again, you're really helping me out here.

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 am

pab1992 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 pm
Thanks for the replies guy. Much much much appreciated.

Managed to get hold of a 2x12 cab...

Firstly, pwrknwldg ... I read what you put at work and decided to grab one of those Behringer MicroHDs on the way home. Plugged it in, and if anything, it made the buzzing worse :/ I put it through input 1 and then output 1 into the amp...

Tested the amp at home, nothing else plugged in, just that. Still buzzing quite a bit set at the levels I'd need to gig. Noticed that this buzzing is actually on both channels not just the dirty.

The buzzing goes away when I roll down the volume on the guitar... both on single coils and humbuckers. Also, when I move the guitar around, I find patches where it is much better.

Does this suggest its just a characteristic of the amp? I know it's electrical interference, but there's nothing else turned on or plugged in upstairs in my house. The amp right next to where it is plugged in though... could this affect it?

I just want to get to the bottom of whether this is normal or not before next week (I have until 1st March to return it).

Thinking of trying a noise suppressor pedal next week if I can get hold of one... are these noted for sucking tone? I LOVE the tone of the CR120H, but don't want a pedal ruining it. Also, there's quite a lot of 'hiss' when it's really cranked... again, have you guys found the same?

Thanks again, you're really helping me out here.
Sounds like possibly some type of interference knowing that if you move in certain directions it changes.

I’ve read that these work pretty good. Maybe try one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gLF6PD_BwE
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am

It buzzes when nothing is plugged in?

And the only time the buzzing goes away completely is when you plug in a guitar and turn the guitar's volume to zero?

That's significant and suggests a problem with the amp's input jack.
------------------
You've tried humbuckers and single-coils. Is the buzzing much quieter with humbuckers?

If not, that's another indication there's something wrong with the amp.

pwrknwldg

Post by pwrknwldg » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm sorry that the MicroHD solution didn't work! I was so sure it'd help; hopefully you can return it. And with your earlier note that your friend's LP had the same outcome (so not your guitar's pickups or wiring gone wonky), and presuming that you've done the easy things like 1) trying different cables going in AND between the head and cabinet, and 2) being 100% sure that your cab is running at the right impedance for the amp, then yeah, it does sound like there's some kind of issue with the amp itself: input jack, or worse something with the amplification circuits along the line.