CR120C both speakers distorting

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

CR120C both speakers distorting

Post by Gordy G » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 pm

I Used my CR120C speakers plugged into my JRT on Saturdays gig,worked with no problems,came to use the CR120C at last nights practice & straight from switch on both speakers are distorting,yet the CR120 sounds ok with my Mesa 1 x 12" cab.
I'm concerned that the CR120C could have an intermittent fault?,I don't use the Amp in the 120C much,i mainly use it as a speaker cab with my JRT,the only thing i can point to is i'm pretty sure the Master was full up,but the channel volumes where low,so it didn't blast out to cause the speaker to be damaged,any thoughts?.
Do Orange offer a re-cone service?.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: CR120C both speakers distorting

Post by Jondog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm

How do they sound if you plug the JRT set clean back in?

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:42 am

Both speakers distort with the JRT,i tried them individually :( .

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am

Even if it had been cranked all the way up, the JRT doesn't have enough power to blow those speakers.

This is a very weird situation, so I'd look for very weird causes.

A loose mounting nut? (Or anything loose in the CR120C.) Playing through either speaker would make the loose thing vibrate, and can sound like distorting speakers. Check every nut, bolt, and screw, including those inside the amp's chassis. Knock every panel with your knuckles and listen for rattles and buzzes.

Debris in the speaker baskets? Sand, pebbles, even bits of paper. May have gotten in there while transporting the amp home. Or just debris inside the cabinet. Sand could have gotten through the grille cloth and be bouncing around in front of the speakers.
--------------------
I'm assuming the CR120C is no longer under warranty? You didn't do anything abusive to cause damage, and you don't even need to tell Orange you were running the JRT through them. If they're actually blown and still under warranty, Orange will replace them.
----------------------
I've never heard of Orange doing recones. An Orange Service Center could probably order a new pair of them for about the same cost as reconing them.

But there are lots of healthy used Celestion V30's in the same price range as a recone. WGS and Eminence also make V30-voiced speakers.

Orange's VOTW speakers are good V30-voiced speakers, but not as good as real V30's. Nor as good as Eminence Governors or WGS Veterans.

If your speakers are actually blown, might as well use the opportunity to upgrade them.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am
Even if it had been cranked all the way up, the JRT doesn't have enough power to blow those speakers.

This is a very weird situation, so I'd look for very weird causes.

A loose mounting nut? (Or anything loose in the CR120C.) Playing through either speaker would make the loose thing vibrate, and can sound like distorting speakers. Check every nut, bolt, and screw, including those inside the amp's chassis. Knock every panel with your knuckles and listen for rattles and buzzes.

Debris in the speaker baskets? Sand, pebbles, even bits of paper. May have gotten in there while transporting the amp home. Or just debris inside the cabinet. Sand could have gotten through the grille cloth and be bouncing around in front of the speakers.
--------------------
I'm assuming the CR120C is no longer under warranty? You didn't do anything abusive to cause damage, and you don't even need to tell Orange you were running the JRT through them. If they're actually blown and still under warranty, Orange will replace them.
----------------------
I've never heard of Orange doing recones. An Orange Service Center could probably order a new pair of them for about the same cost as reconing them.

But there are lots of healthy used Celestion V30's in the same price range as a recone. WGS and Eminence also make V30-voiced speakers.

Orange's VOTW speakers are good V30-voiced speakers, but not as good as real V30's. Nor as good as Eminence Governors or WGS Veterans.

If your speakers are actually blown, might as well use the opportunity to upgrade them.
Was going to suggest checking for a loose screw or nut. Had that happen before. Drove me nuts until I found it.