Rocker 15 Effects Loop Series or Parallel

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

cheerios

Rocker 15 Effects Loop Series or Parallel

Post by cheerios » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 am

Is the effects loop of the Rocker 15 series or parallel? I can't find anything official which says. A site says it is series but I don't know where they get it.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 15 Effects Loop Series or Parallel

Post by Jondog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am

Series

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am

The only reason to have a parallel loop is to be able to vary the wet/dry signal going to the power tubes. So a parallel loop almost always has a "blend" or "mix" control.

Any loop that just has two jacks and no blend/mix/effects-intensity knob is almost certainly series.
-------------------------
Some series loops have "send level" and "return level" controls, but those serve different functions than a "blend/mix" control. "Send level" lets you trim the signal so it doesn't overdrive the input of an effect, "return level" lets you compensate for an effect that sucks some volume out of the signal. (By using a cable between the jacks without any effects, those controls can also act as a volume boost.)

cheerios

Post by cheerios » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Cool thanks. I thought it might have just been a weird parallel with no controls, like 50% or something, like the clean channel is kind of just weird no controls :D

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 am

Actually the “clean” channel isn’t a clean channel at all. Which is why it’s labeled “Natural”channel. One gain stage, no tone stack, with no further enhancements (until they added an effects loop), just the natural sound of the amps power stage when it’s pushed. Very...Natural sounding :D