Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: R30 FX Loop

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm
Jondog wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am
The one from Metropolous Amplification is pretty good too, I’m considering buying one as it would probably be a nice fit inside the Rocker (still haven’t had a chance to put a loop in my newest Rocker). I’ve never used the one Mojotone sells, but it looks to use carbon comp resistors which I don’t like. Thats OK in pre or power amp build where you want that vintage tolerance vibe, but in a loop I want accuracy so metal film is the way to go for me. My personal opinion is to stay away from tube loops. Not only are they more work to install, I think theres more chance for noise or coloration. I think every amp I’ve had with a tube loop alters the sound more than a solid state, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you like the way the amp sounds without a loop, it could be. Also, tube loops just don’t make sense to me. Tube loops are another thing to go wrong, and with effects in the loop, you’re putting solid state devices between the pre and power amp anyways. Main thing with a solid state loop is quality and has enough headroom to not clip.

The metro loop seems highly recommended on most guitar forums.

I've sent an email to iron sound too, I'llsee what they reply.

Their web site looks shot though, and google warns us that it may be hacked......
Hopefully they haven’t closed up shop. The sites been like that a while now. The thing that makes the Ironsounds loop great is that it uses a TL072 chip which is better for audio than some of the FET’s the other loops use. The Ironsounds loop has it’s a nice power filtering section too. Most of those loops, Metro, mojotone, Granger are all the same loop copied off someone elses design. The Ironsounds loop isn’t an original design either, it’s actually a copy of the loop Marshall had been using in there 2203 reissue amps.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm
Jondog wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am
The one from Metropolous Amplification is pretty good too, I’m considering buying one as it would probably be a nice fit inside the Rocker (still haven’t had a chance to put a loop in my newest Rocker). I’ve never used the one Mojotone sells, but it looks to use carbon comp resistors which I don’t like. Thats OK in pre or power amp build where you want that vintage tolerance vibe, but in a loop I want accuracy so metal film is the way to go for me. My personal opinion is to stay away from tube loops. Not only are they more work to install, I think theres more chance for noise or coloration. I think every amp I’ve had with a tube loop alters the sound more than a solid state, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you like the way the amp sounds without a loop, it could be. Also, tube loops just don’t make sense to me. Tube loops are another thing to go wrong, and with effects in the loop, you’re putting solid state devices between the pre and power amp anyways. Main thing with a solid state loop is quality and has enough headroom to not clip.

The metro loop seems highly recommended on most guitar forums.

I've sent an email to iron sound too, I'llsee what they reply.

Their web site looks shot though, and google warns us that it may be hacked......
Hopefully they haven’t closed up shop. The sites been like that a while now. The thing that makes the Ironsounds loop great is that it uses a TL072 chip which is better for audio than some of the FET’s the other loops use. The Ironsounds loop has it’s a nice power filtering section too. Most of those loops, Metro, mojotone, Granger are all the same loop copied off someone elses design. The Ironsounds loop isn’t an original design either, it’s actually a copy of the loop Marshall had been using in there 2203 reissue amps.

I hope they will reply to me. Their price is low enough that it may not qualify for import taxes too, which would be a bonus.

Did You find it easy enough to hook it up to the right spots between the preamp and power amp?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

Fairly easy, for what it is. I’ve gotten quick at pulling the board out so I may be biased saying that.Pull the phase inverter input cap (c25), it goes just before this cap in the signal path, just be sure to have the input and output wires oriented properly . Another good thing with Ironsounds board is that there is a spit for that cap to go on their board, otherwise you have to find a way to secure it on tbe amps board. Couple things I do differently is mount the bypass switch and jacks off board. I use a regular toggle instead of the push button tactile they supply. On the Orange amps I use the cliff style jacks that Orange use just for uniformity. I don’t bother with the boost switch either. Never had a use for it so I leave it out, one less hole to drill too. Also, wiring the switch and jacks off-board allows more options for fitting the board in and getting the jacks where you want them. Sheilded wire is best to use for the signal connections, one end needs to be grounded to prevent noise.
As I said I still need to install one in my current Rocker. If I find time maybe I should take photos and do a step by step guide.

Jimmyohio

Post by Jimmyohio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 pm
Jimmyohio wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm
I just bought a R30 with a loop. The previous owner had an FJA effects loop installed. It seems very quiet and quite transparent. I am happy with it.
Looking them up right now.

Did you sort that brightness issue by the way?

Edit: not an option. They don't offer kits, so I'd have to send it to them. That and the rate they charge, at current exchange rate, is pretty much what I paid for the full amp in the UK..... (got lucky on eBay)
Yes. It turns out that the brightness was due to the cabinet being on a crate, off the floor. It was too close to ear level making it seem crazy bright. Once I put the cab on the floor the brightness went away. Crazy.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 am

Jimmyohio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 pm
Jimmyohio wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm
I just bought a R30 with a loop. The previous owner had an FJA effects loop installed. It seems very quiet and quite transparent. I am happy with it.
Looking them up right now.

Did you sort that brightness issue by the way?

Edit: not an option. They don't offer kits, so I'd have to send it to them. That and the rate they charge, at current exchange rate, is pretty much what I paid for the full amp in the UK..... (got lucky on eBay)
Yes. It turns out that the brightness was due to the cabinet being on a crate, off the floor. It was too close to ear level making it seem crazy bright. Once I put the cab on the floor the brightness went away. Crazy.
Phew!!!! Cheap fix!!!! :lol:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 am

Jondog wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am
Fairly easy, for what it is. I’ve gotten quick at pulling the board out so I may be biased saying that.Pull the phase inverter input cap (c25), it goes just before this cap in the signal path, just be sure to have the input and output wires oriented properly . Another good thing with Ironsounds board is that there is a spit for that cap to go on their board, otherwise you have to find a way to secure it on tbe amps board. Couple things I do differently is mount the bypass switch and jacks off board. I use a regular toggle instead of the push button tactile they supply. On the Orange amps I use the cliff style jacks that Orange use just for uniformity. I don’t bother with the boost switch either. Never had a use for it so I leave it out, one less hole to drill too. Also, wiring the switch and jacks off-board allows more options for fitting the board in and getting the jacks where you want them. Sheilded wire is best to use for the signal connections, one end needs to be grounded to prevent noise.
As I said I still need to install one in my current Rocker. If I find time maybe I should take photos and do a step by step guide.

They have replied to me.
I think I'm gonna order one. It'll probably be a while before I get around installing it though. :(
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 am
Jondog wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

They have replied to me.
I think I'm gonna order one. It'll probably be a while before I get around installing it though. :(
I'm working on a PCB version without all the extra features (boost switch, variable resistor options), hopefully a bit more compact. Don't have a timeline (probably a while), but if I get it working a way I'm happy with, and it's worth getting it made vs just buying a ready made kit, I can hook you up with a blank.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm

That would be great!!!

I've ordered one from Iron Sound now for my R30, but if I could fit one on my beloved AD15...... that would be great!!!!

The AD15 is a lot more complex though. I don't think there's enough space within the existing chassis. I think I would have to fit it externally and add a box in the combo recess, or the existing chassis. That would be better anyway as that would make the loop easily accessible.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 am

Since the iron sound web site wasn't working, I has to send them an email, then confirm via email that I wanted to buy it, for them to send me a PayPal request......

A bit unusual. Not the comfiest purchase experience.

But it arrived today.
Pretty excited. They were pretty good, and sent me all the information I wanted before I ordered it.

Now..... here's to hoping I find the time to fit it in the next 6 months!!!!
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Nice! I don’t know whats up with their site, but they’ve always given me great service. I’ve bought 3 or 4 loops from them. I broke a switch one time, emailed them for a part number which they quickly responded and gave to me.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Just checked the bill of material, everything is there.

A nice touch too, they stated the cost of the parcel at $20 instead of $49, which is probably around the cost of material rather than the selling price. That made sure I didn't have to pay import fees.

I think I might take your suggestion Jondog- order a couple of small on/on dpdt vertical switch rather than drill 2 extra holes. Or i could simply hardwire one way too, but not sure which setting is which, and which one ill need for the R30 and pedal board.

I suppose I could possibly use rack FX too at some point, and then need the extra switches..... though I can't see myself doing that.......
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm

When I get home I’ll post a pic of the pads I linked together to omit the boost switch.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm
When I get home I’ll post a pic of the pads I linked together to omit the boost switch.
If you open it up especially for me......
I'd love some pics of where you take the power from, ground it again, and the phase splitter/inverter connection if you don't mind...... :mrgreen:

In any case Jon, I'm going to have to work from your schematic.... Since its the only one we can find!!!! 8) thanks a lot for that. If I remember correctly, your schematic has the electrolytic the wrong way around? Is that right or am I missremembering something?
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:53 pm
Jondog wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm
If you open it up especially for me......
I'd love some pics of where you take the power from, ground it again, and the phase splitter/inverter connection if you don't mind...... :mrgreen:

In any case Jon, I'm going to have to work from your schematic.... Since its the only one we can find!!!! 8) thanks a lot for that. If I remember correctly, your schematic has the electrolytic the wrong way around? Is that right or am I missremembering something?
:lol: Yep, Copy/Pasted all the Electrolytics backwards. Didn’t bother correcting figuring anyone that knew what they were looking at would know otherwise. Never expected thise schematic drawings to show up as much as they do across the web. I’ll help you out if you need anything.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Heres an image of the board (pulled from my AD2 build). Been meaning to install this in my Rocker but haven't got around to it yet. I circled the pads in yellow that get jumpered together if you want to omit the boost function switch. You can also see I used a toggle switch for the bypass switch and used cliff jacks like Orange. If you plan to use this style jack I wouldn't drill for the supplied jacks because I think the hole diameter is bigger with the jacks they include.
You might also notice I have the power supply board separated from the loop board, not necessary but I was fitting this in a small chassis. On my first Rocker I had the switches and Jacks all wired off the board and had the board sitting perpendicular to the amps board in the 30mm gap between the amp pcb and at the back of the amp chassis. Found a good place for the jacks is in the square label on the back with the "Caution, Risk of Electric Shock" notice. I made a small plate painted white that perfectly covered this square and had the SEND and RETURN labels on it. I can't remember exactly, I'd have to get my meter on it but I tapped the power from the phase inverter section, and soldered into one of the test point vias. Maybe TP10 which is just above V2. I'm not certain though, you could check the voltage there. I sent you a PM Les Paul Lover, I don't know if it sent though??