Orange Amps and Big Muffs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Pageldog

Orange Amps and Big Muffs

Post by Pageldog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 am

I'm looking at getting a Big Muff Pi but I've read that Orange Amps and Big Muffs don't mix very well. Anyone experienced any problems? I have a Rocker 15 and was thinking off putting the Muff through the clean channel

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange Amps and Big Muffs

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I’ve been playing around with muffs lately (where the heck is Randy Bass?) on my Rocker. While Orange aren’t as good as other amps with pedals, it sounds great to me. I set the dirty channel up cleanish or use the Natural channel. You get a different sound on each channel. A bit more hi-fi/scorching sound on the natural channel.

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm

My favorite fuzz pedal is the walrus audio contraband fuzz and I've found it sounds best through the clean channel on my rockerverb mkiii. It still sounds good with my OR15, but set as clean as the OR15 will go.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:26 pm

On the clean channel, you'll be fine.
On the dirty channel with some dirt already on, it will sound rubbish.

My BMP clone sounds great on both mu RV50 and R30 clean channel.

The EQ doesn't work well with my AD15 for some funny reasons.

The only Fuzz I know that works well 9n both clean and dirty channel is my Way Huge Red Lana clone.

It's more of an extremely fuzzy overdrive though, but I love it.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm

My feeling about Muffs and fuzz in general is that if you can run your amp with no break up any quality Muff or Muff clone should be able to be EQ'd to sound great as long as that is the sound you want.

Running any type of muff/fuzz on top of even a moderately broken up/driven amp tone has always been ghastly to me.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

lowerorder2017

Post by lowerorder2017 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I actually quite like a Big Muff into an Orange - into a Dual Terror with sort of classic rock/punk crunch, so perhaps with the gain knob at halfway edging towards 1 'o clock, it's sounded great to me. Then again I use a Deluxe Big Muff Pi which has the Mids section which helps it to cut through so much so perhaps one of those is worth investigating?
I own more amps than I need but less than I want.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:58 pm

ran a couple of silicon fuzz'z thru my oranges in the past and wasn't impressed. finally found a germanium fuzz with good eq and bias pot and now i'm in tone heaven. cuts thru quite nicely.

but to my ears no pedal sounds better than a rocker cranked.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

SIXTENCONNECTOR

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz. Clean channel on my Rverb mk2 (Germanium setting, HIGH/LOW set to high, TONE all the way counter-clockwise, HIGH all the way clockwise.

On the gain channel switch diodes completely out (i.e. switch in between the germanium and silicon setting). Set to HIGH with same TONE and HIGH frequency setting. THis is the only Fuzz I have ever used that sounded good with an already driven amp. I don't use it all the time though.
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 pm

SIXTENCONNECTOR wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz. Clean channel on my Rverb mk2 (Germanium setting, HIGH/LOW set to high, TONE all the way counter-clockwise, HIGH all the way clockwise.

On the gain channel switch diodes completely out (i.e. switch in between the germanium and silicon setting). Set to HIGH with same TONE and HIGH frequency setting. THis is the only Fuzz I have ever used that sounded good with an already driven amp. I don't use it all the time though.

When I built my BMP clone, I added a switch to select between germanium, silicon or not 2nd stage clipping diodes.

Since the pharaohs is a modded BMP, I'll have to try that!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Paulholland

Post by Paulholland » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

I bought the new "smashing pumpkins" big muff a little while ago. I played it through my TT at very low volume and loved it. Tried to turn up the amp and it turned to garbage. I thought maybe it just needed a little more head room. Tried it with my dual terror and nope. Tried it with my rocker 30 and still absolutely terrible. I returned it I couldn't justify spending $90 on a pedal I couldn't use in s band setting.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Paulholland wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am
I bought the new "smashing pumpkins" big muff a little while ago. I played it through my TT at very low volume and loved it. Tried to turn up the amp and it turned to garbage. I thought maybe it just needed a little more head room. Tried it with my dual terror and nope. Tried it with my rocker 30 and still absolutely terrible. I returned it I couldn't justify spending $90 on a pedal I couldn't use in s band setting.
I found tirning the pedal volume down remedies that. I have an opamp big muff clone.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:33 pm

I use a black box Russian BM on my AD30, love the sound. Loud, heavy and thick sounding. I prefer the Russian versions because they're a bit warmer and the tone control on the pedal is very responsive twords the amp. I run it on Ch1 clean and boost it with a Blues Driver if I want it to get really nasty.

Paulholland

Post by Paulholland » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Jondog wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm
Paulholland wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am
I found tirning the pedal volume down remedies that. I have an opamp big muff clone.
I tried that but to me it was too quiet. The best I got it to sound was on the rockers dirty channel but at the volume I needed the feedback was brutal.

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 am

I just got one of the op amp big muffs and I dig it. I used it with a Rockerverb at the end of the video...
https://youtu.be/0QUzF7BW12g
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 am

I run 3 Big Muff’s into my Orange and love them. Love Big Muff pedals. Although I’ll say because there are so many versions of Big Muff’s it can I suppose be a hit or miss. Asking here whether or not a Big Muff will work good with Orange is such a vast question lol - again since there are so many versions and everyone has an opinion so taste may vary. Might be leaving Orange soon possibly, so yeah.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12