R30 FX Loop

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

R30 FX Loop

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm getting a little frustrated with the R30 lack of FX loop.

The clean channel is amazing with a drop of reverb - not quite so without it.

I like a touch of reverb on leads too, but that's impossible.

Who has installed an FX loop on their R30?

What model was it? Pro / cons?
Things to bear in mind?

And if that FX loop could be installed on the AD15 too...... I might do it twice!!!
The AD15 is way more complicated though, as I would have to fit the loop externally- it will not fit in there, there's barely enough space for the AD15 circuit.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Re: R30 FX Loop

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

hi..
check in the technical forum, jondog has done it.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Mystic38 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm
hi..
check in the technical forum, jondog has done it.
Yes, and his seemingly worked bery well.

I believe other forum member have had one over the years, so I'm hoping to find out the good and bad ones!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

How much do you crank said amps? Effects loops on amps that rely on power amp distortion seem kinda pointless, since your reverb (or whatever) wouldn't stay clean anyway. If you're not turning up the master that much, it might work fine.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Ive installed two different loops on the R30. A London Power tube loop which was good, but a bit of a pain to install. I also thought it changed the sound a bit. The other is the Iron Sounds solid state loop, which I love. It’s very transparent, with a bypass switch I couldn’t really tell if it affected the amps natural sound or not. It’s very well designed and I’ve installed it on several amps. You can crank the preamp into it, I’ve never had it clip. Power tube distortion works all the same.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm

How is it impossible? Get a $40 TB loop switcher so when you switch to dirty the delay comes on, and off when you go clean. Our best buddies at Loop master make a channel switcher with multiple loops. Clean channel would have your verb, dirty channel would have your delay. Press one button to switch it all. DONE!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm
How is it impossible? Get a $40 TB loop switcher so when you switch to dirty the delay comes on, and off when you go clean. Our best buddies at Loop master make a channel switcher with multiple loops. Clean channel would have your verb, dirty channel would have your delay. Press one button to switch it all. DONE!
I want the reverb on the dirty channel too though.
It's a great shame, I've been wanting to order some loopmaster stuff for ages. What a missed opportunity. :(
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm

What do you have for pedals? Anything Midi, or with expression pedal support? If so you could wire that all up with separate patches for clean and dirt delay/verb.

Or:

http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-ble ... essio.html

Hook the delay/verb up to the loop, and then you can control the mix with an expression pedal. Would something like that work? Drop it down lower for the dirty side, and bring it up for the clean stuff. If it's a volume issue this might be the answer.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Jondog wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm
Ive installed two different loops on the R30. A London Power tube loop which was good, but a bit of a pain to install. I also thought it changed the sound a bit. The other is the Iron Sounds solid state loop, which I love. It’s very transparent, with a bypass switch I couldn’t really tell if it affected the amps natural sound or not. It’s very well designed and I’ve installed it on several amps. You can crank the preamp into it, I’ve never had it clip. Power tube distortion works all the same.
Interesting jondog.

I'll look that up.
Glad I asked, I only found references to your London power tube install before.
Ant

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm
Jondog wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm
Interesting jondog.

I'll look that up.
Glad I asked, I only found references to your London power tube install before.
I was trying to get you a link to the page, but it seems their website isn’t working all that great. www.ironsounds.com

Jimmyohio

Post by Jimmyohio » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

I just bought a R30 with a loop. The previous owner had an FJA effects loop installed. It seems very quiet and quite transparent. I am happy with it.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am

The one from Metropolous Amplification is pretty good too, I’m considering buying one as it would probably be a nice fit inside the Rocker (still haven’t had a chance to put a loop in my newest Rocker). I’ve never used the one Mojotone sells, but it looks to use carbon comp resistors which I don’t like. Thats OK in pre or power amp build where you want that vintage tolerance vibe, but in a loop I want accuracy so metal film is the way to go for me. My personal opinion is to stay away from tube loops. Not only are they more work to install, I think theres more chance for noise or coloration. I think every amp I’ve had with a tube loop alters the sound more than a solid state, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you like the way the amp sounds without a loop, it could be. Also, tube loops just don’t make sense to me. Tube loops are another thing to go wrong, and with effects in the loop, you’re putting solid state devices between the pre and power amp anyways. Main thing with a solid state loop is quality and has enough headroom to not clip.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm
What do you have for pedals? Anything Midi, or with expression pedal support? If so you could wire that all up with separate patches for clean and dirt delay/verb.

Or:

http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-ble ... essio.html

Hook the delay/verb up to the loop, and then you can control the mix with an expression pedal. Would something like that work? Drop it down lower for the dirty side, and bring it up for the clean stuff. If it's a volume issue this might be the answer.

No, all my fx are simple stomp boxes.

To be honest, I'd be fitting the loop myself, so the expense of getting that done isn't huge, and the benefit of having a loop is very attractive to me.

And I'm not gonna lie..... I'm already thinking of installing one on my AD15 somehow...... I love reverb, and I'm missing that with both these amp as soon as there's too much gain.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Jimmyohio wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm
I just bought a R30 with a loop. The previous owner had an FJA effects loop installed. It seems very quiet and quite transparent. I am happy with it.
Looking them up right now.

Did you sort that brightness issue by the way?

Edit: not an option. They don't offer kits, so I'd have to send it to them. That and the rate they charge, at current exchange rate, is pretty much what I paid for the full amp in the UK..... (got lucky on eBay)
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 am
The one from Metropolous Amplification is pretty good too, I’m considering buying one as it would probably be a nice fit inside the Rocker (still haven’t had a chance to put a loop in my newest Rocker). I’ve never used the one Mojotone sells, but it looks to use carbon comp resistors which I don’t like. Thats OK in pre or power amp build where you want that vintage tolerance vibe, but in a loop I want accuracy so metal film is the way to go for me. My personal opinion is to stay away from tube loops. Not only are they more work to install, I think theres more chance for noise or coloration. I think every amp I’ve had with a tube loop alters the sound more than a solid state, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you like the way the amp sounds without a loop, it could be. Also, tube loops just don’t make sense to me. Tube loops are another thing to go wrong, and with effects in the loop, you’re putting solid state devices between the pre and power amp anyways. Main thing with a solid state loop is quality and has enough headroom to not clip.

The metro loop seems highly recommended on most guitar forums.

I've sent an email to iron sound too, I'llsee what they reply.

Their web site looks shot though, and google warns us that it may be hacked......
Ant