Delay that works in CR120H fx loop

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Delay that works in CR120H fx loop

Post by liaztraht » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Finally looking to start building up my pedal collection, but after a year and a half with my crush, I noticed one big downfall... With the channel volume over half (has to be because I like the crunchy clean) the fx send is HOT! Can't run my gate there because it overloads and sounds like poo. Knowing there are issues with a lot of delays in loops, I'm not sure what my options are pedal wise, and I don't want rack gear.

I cannot find the specs on it, or how to measure them with my DMM, but I think its line level?

Any crush owners with a delay that works in the loop? Whatcha got?
Any suggestions on an inexpensive way to bring the loop level down for the pedals, and back up to level for the return?

I was looking at an EHX memory boy. But heard it can't handle a hot loop.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Delay that works in CR120H fx loop

Post by afjungemann » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 am

I don’t have much CR120experience but I run my RV clean at over half volume when we want to be obnoxious loud and run delays and reverbs without issue.

Perhaps the CR120 is different but I can’t imagine how.

I don’t ever run a gate so I can’t help you with that.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 am

Yeah. I think it is set up different. Not really any spec to look at though. Probably gonna send an e-mail to Orange and see if I get any info.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am

Never mind. The NS-2 loop just sucks. Can't handle anything louder than my overdrive.

I puy my od in the loop and played through the clean channel. No issue. Played of straight in to the fx return. Sounded the same. Od is a boss SD1.

Should be fine on delays.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

If I’m not mistaken, the ns2 should be run in front of the amp and in the loop, right? Also, I believe you will have much better results with the OD using it in front of the amp.

I won’t lie, I hate noise gates. The benefit they add is overshadowed by the tone and feel they suck out of the amp. Maybe no gate is the answer to a long and healthy life??? :-)
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:43 pm

The noise gate should be run with the 4 cable method, but doing so causes issues.
As for the od in the loop, it also being boss, I was just seeing of it would over load like the gate.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Is your problem solved then?

The issue was caused by your preventative solution?

As far as FX, build your board with the FX you want, and deal with issues if any arise.

In terms of noise, making sure that the FX power supplies cables aren't looped, and aren't crossing the path of the guitar + FX loop in and out cables will g9 a l9ng way to minimise any noise.

I only use 2 cheap power supplies (a mooer and 1spot) and have no issues if the cabling is layed out nicely. If the cables are looped or tangled, I can get quite a bit of buzzing, so that's one good way to eliminate it. I run a tuner, 1 boost, , , 1 OD, 2 to 3 fuzz, 1 tremolo, 1 delay, 2 reverbs and a ditto looper with all that, so 9 to 10 pedals.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 pm
Is your problem solved then?

The issue was caused by your preventative solution?

As far as FX, build your board with the FX you want, and deal with issues if any arise.

In terms of noise, making sure that the FX power supplies cables aren't looped, and aren't crossing the path of the guitar + FX loop in and out cables will g9 a l9ng way to minimise any noise.

I only use 2 cheap power supplies (a mooer and 1spot) and have no issues if the cabling is layed out nicely. If the cables are looped or tangled, I can get quite a bit of buzzing, so that's one good way to eliminate it. I run a tuner, 1 boost, , , 1 OD, 2 to 3 fuzz, 1 tremolo, 1 delay, 2 reverbs and a ditto looper with all that, so 9 to 10 pedals.
My problem (thinking the fx loop was too hot) was caused by previous attempts of running my noise gate in front and in the loop. The only reason I run a noise gate is for keeping things tight and quiet in a metal band. The amp itself isn't very noisy. I tried overloading the overdrive (also being Boss) which should be instrument level, and it wasn't doing so like the gate.
At least now I know why people say the NS2 sucks tone. As soon as the volume in the loop hits a certain point, it starts compressing and cutting the highs as well as clipping the input/output of the pedal.
It doesn't do that running the gate just in the loop, only when using the 4 cable method. But just in the loop and it can't gate anything as the threshold is for guitar level.
I have been running it as the first pedal to tighten the guitar up before it hits the amp to good effect though. Prevents any squealing during start stop riffs.

So I guess at this point any delay should work. Sorry I was mistaken :lol: