I have a TH30 crisis - advice needed!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: I have a TH30 crisis - advice needed!

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm

All amps have compromises. Simplicity vs flexibility, price vs value. There are amps that have separate fx loops for each channel, amps that have switchable EQ's, switchable gain structures, etc etc etc.

But there are also amps that just have a volume knob and a power switch.

For some people the shape knob does exactly what they want. But it can only do what it's designed to do, and if that's not what you want you might be better off with an amp that has a tmb tone stack.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm

DID SOMEONE SAY LOOPMASTER???

I bought a box from them a few years back. It's a single loop and channel switcher all in one. Click one button, and it switches the channel and engages the loop. Simple! It was not at all expensive, how long it will take to arrive is another story.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm

A quick check of Loopmaster's site shows $70 for a single loop channel switcher.

Very reasonably priced for such a thing. But if the OP doesn't already have an EQ pedal, add that cost in. Getting real close to selling his amp and buying a different used Orange amp.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the OP also has complaints about the dirty channel's gain/master controls -- only sounds good to him at certain settings. An EQ pedal might help that. But it might not.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm

I love tinkering with things. Fixing broken things, making working things work better. Started as a little kid with my toys. It's almost a compulsion -- I feel the urge to tweak just about everything I touch.

But I've always found I can't change the basic nature of a thing. If I start with something that already satisfies me, I can turn it into something that's even more satisfying. But if I start with something that doesn't satisfy, all I can do is make it less dissatisfying.

The TH30 is a great amp, but that doesn't mean it's the right amp for everyone.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 pm

I tried an eq in the loop when I first got mine. I couldn't get it to make the amp sound better IMHO. I have no trouble getting it to do whatever I want without that. I'd say sell it and get one you like.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Yea that is why I suggested the RV50 in the first place. He doesn't like the amp anymore understandable. No point in putting a band-aid on the problem. Just get a new amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm
DID SOMEONE SAY LOOPMASTER???

:shock: :cry: :shock: :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for input, guys. I think I'm on my way to get an used Rockerverb.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 pm

I thought that I can give you the update in my case.

Sold my TH30 (for a pretty penny) and got Rockerverb 50 MK1. I've been playing it for about an hour and all I can say (without honeymoon hype) that it's been a huge step up. I absolutely love its cleans with a little reverb. Dirty channel provides insane tone with very precise EQ section.

Didn't have time to mess with my pedals, but even without any fancy-schmancy-effects, just guitar>cable>amp it's gig-ready.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

mici88 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 pm
I thought that I can give you the update in my case.

Sold my TH30 (for a pretty penny) and got Rockerverb 50 MK1. I've been playing it for about an hour and all I can say (without honeymoon hype) that it's been a huge step up. I absolutely love its cleans with a little reverb. Dirty channel provides insane tone with very precise EQ section.

Didn't have time to mess with my pedals, but even without any fancy-schmancy-effects, just guitar>cable>amp it's gig-ready.
Congrats!!!! The RV50 is my 1st Orange amp...... and my 1st proper amp too.

Still my favourite too.
Those cleans are wonderful, and the clean 2 band EQ is super easy to use.

For each do the bass and treble control, turning them up increases that control and diminishes the mids. Rolling it down diminishes that control and increases the mids.

And that reverb is pretty magical, if insane at high settings. But hey, i like insane. ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:59 am

I love a happy ending! And it's nice to end the year with good news and a promising start to the new year.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:07 am

Rlw59 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm
For some people the shape knob does exactly what they want.
Maybe, but I have yet to meet them. :lol:

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:53 am

Gray wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:07 am
Rlw59 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm
For some people the shape knob does exactly what they want.
Maybe, but I have yet to meet them. :lol:
Right here. I can make the dirty channel sound exactly like the clean channel when it's cranked up. That's pretty ideal for me. I've never run an eq in the loop or anything like that.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 am

mici88 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 pm
This was definitely the right move. Having owned and played both extensively, and having put tons of work & money into my TH30 to get it to sound better, it's far more worth it to just step up into a higher quality amp. I eventually sold my TH30 to get my RV50 MKIII and I'd never go back!

For the price, the TH30 is really a fantastic amp. It's just not an RV (obvious to most...but apparently not me). I absolutely LOVED the cleans I got from the TH30, but the dirty channel left much to be desired. The RVMKIII is a perfect marriage (for me) of the TH30 cleans and the RV dirty.

That being said, I still love my MKI and I still recommend them all the time. I'm glad you got it all sorted out and you're enjoying your new amp!
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com