Les Paul and R30 ....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

Les Paul and R30 ....

Post by bfitz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 am

:shock:

What a thumping sound! I had left my R30 back in my parents while im living in Dublin but brought home the lester and lost myself for a few hours. Its great! EMG's wouldn't be my go to pickups but they do have their strengths, lots of clarity especially when you roll off the volume and tone but for all out madness they are also really good.

I've been looking at potential replacements though and I'm on the low output PAF style train I think.

Its between Creamery, Monty or Bareknuckle...anyone else have these in a les paul style guitar?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Re: Les Paul and R30 ....

Post by Jabberwocky » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah got a pair of Bareknuckle Mules in my lester classic. They were in it when I bought it and no way I would change them out. Through my R30 head and 2x12 OB they just sing.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Avoid the bareknuckle crawler set, it's way too middy and doesn't sound great with an already mid heavy amp like an Orange.

I had a lovely explorer with BK cold sweat neck and painkiller bridge. That was a pretty amazing mix. From jazz to all out metal, that did it all.

Otherwise..... I still think the Burstbucker Pro pick ups in my LP are some of the best humbuckers I've ever tried.

And yes, LP + R30, that's pretty beastly!!!!!
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 am

I had SD Seth Lover SH55’s in my 91 Standard. I loved them. Very clear, pushed mids a bit, and sounded great for both high and low gain situations. Be sure you have a 50’s wiring pattern though. Makes a huge difference when you roll off the volume.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

I have a Dark Terror. I've been playing my 2000 LP Classic with a Seth Lover set of pickups into this amp and it gets a wonderful "clean" (not Fender type) with a very slight breakup to the tone....very articulate and ideal for fingerpicking. I have not settled on an ideal gain tone as yet.....the amp being still new to me. I prefer using lower output pickups and having the Dark Terror do the grunt work; and minus any pedals, save a reverb.

adkguy07

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:04 pm

les paul straight into the r30 = tone heaven
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

After much deliberation I went with the Creamery Classic 59 pickups. Its been really tricky to try and get sounds from youtube to make my decision but I did get to play some of Creamery's other offerings the other week. The wide-range humbucker and the broadcaster tele pickups were in a guitar belonging to my mate and they sounded great. The humbucker was really airy and clear and the bridge had real tele growl.
Hopefully the PAF style ones he makes are as good! will report upon completing installation and changing over to 50's style wiring. 8) cant wait!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

I love me my dimarzio PAF pro's.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm

bfitz wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm
After much deliberation I went with the Creamery Classic 59 pickups. Its been really tricky to try and get sounds from youtube to make my decision but I did get to play some of Creamery's other offerings the other week. The wide-range humbucker and the broadcaster tele pickups were in a guitar belonging to my mate and they sounded great. The humbucker was really airy and clear and the bridge had real tele growl.
Hopefully the PAF style ones he makes are as good! will report upon completing installation and changing over to 50's style wiring. 8) cant wait!

Don't forget to let us know your thoughts once you've played them!!!

Never tried their pick ups, but heard great things.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute