EQ PEDAL IN FX LOOP ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

streettriple95

EQ PEDAL IN FX LOOP ?

Post by streettriple95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am

Hello!

Just bought myself a BOSS GE 7 (for budget reasons) and was wondering about putting it in FX loop? I have my delays/modulation etc going through there at the moment and they sound great!

Another thing : I use a daisy chain power supply (as im waiting for my dc brick to come in the post) and there is a low hum coming from the effects, would the DC brick eliminate this?

Thankyou guys! As I said before im pretty new to all this, so if i ask stupid questions I apologise :lol: :lol:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: EQ PEDAL IN FX LOOP ?

Post by Jondog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 am

streettriple95 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am
Hello!

Just bought myself a BOSS GE 7 (for budget reasons) and was wondering about putting it in FX loop? I have my delays/modulation etc going through there at the moment and they sound great!

Another thing : I use a daisy chain power supply (as im waiting for my dc brick to come in the post) and there is a low hum coming from the effects, would the DC brick eliminate this?

Thankyou guys! As I said before im pretty new to all this, so if i ask stupid questions I apologise :lol: :lol:
GE-7 is a great pedal and can be made even better with a mod kit, will really quiet it down ehen a frequency is boosted. It'll work fine in the effects loop. The DC brick is OK, but you may still get hum with it. I owned one for years thinking it was great until I switched to a Voodoo Lab which has real isolated outputs. Instantly there was virtually no hum from my effects.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

streettriple95 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am
Hello!

GE7 is a fine pedal, don't be mistaken that its a budget pedal. You will find the GE7 has many uses, in the fx loop it works fine. I would try cleaning all your pedal inputs with Deoxit electronic spray, also clean the fx loop inputs with it as well and any other inputs on your amp and guitar. Spray a little Deoxit in the inputs and insert a cable in and out several times to clean the input.

Also setup one pedal at a time in your fx loop to determine which pedal is the noisy culprit, could be a bad cable too. Do you get the same hum if your pedal chain is put out front?
Thunderverb 50

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm

fwiw.. Unless you have isolated outputs, it is not reasonable to expect hum to disappear by changing the power supply
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

GE7 is a fine pedal, don't be mistaken that its a budget pedal. You will find the GE7 has many uses, in the fx loop it works fine. I would try cleaning all your pedal inputs with Deoxit electronic spray, also clean the fx loop inputs with it as well and any other inputs on your amp and guitar. Spray a little Deoxit in the inputs and insert a cable in and out several times to clean the input.

Also setup one pedal at a time in your fx loop to determine which pedal is the noisy culprit, could be a bad cable too. Do you get the same hum if your pedal chain is put out front?
I tried putting all the pedals in fornt of the amp and no problem! its when i connenct them up to the FX loop the hum is there :cry:

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Mystic38 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm
fwiw.. Unless you have isolated outputs, it is not reasonable to expect hum to disappear by changing the power supply
I tried all of the pedals in front of the amp GUITAR>PEDALS>AMP and there is no hum. but when I put them through the FX loop a hum looms in the background (even with all the pedals off) :(

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 pm

streettriple95 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 pm
pedecamp wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

I tried putting all the pedals in fornt of the amp and no problem! its when i connenct them up to the FX loop the hum is there :cry:
OK so at least you know its not your pedals or cables. Did you clean the fx loop inputs? If still getting hum then I would try replacing the fx loop tube.
Thunderverb 50

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Personally, I wouldn't put it in effects loop only in front of the amp...

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 am

You don't say which amp you are using. I know that the smaller valve amps have the effects loop placed AFTER the master volume. This may be the case with more but I don't know.
If this is the case with your amp, then the power amp is fully amplifying any noise in the signal. The actual signal however, is attenuated by the pre-amp!
At higher volumes, it's not a problem but it becomes proportionately worse as the volume is reduced. Maybe you're not playing loud enough :D
If the EQ is to be an "always on" pedal, it could be worth putting it last in the chain and reducing the volume on the pedal along with increasing it at the amp.
Personally, I'm generally not a fan of effects loops as it always sounds to me that loop effects change the feel of the amp. I can live with (possibly even like) moderate distortion after delays.

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am

PBA wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 am
You don't say which amp you are using. I know that the smaller valve amps have the effects loop placed AFTER the master volume. This may be the case with more but I don't know.
If this is the case with your amp, then the power amp is fully amplifying any noise in the signal. The actual signal however, is attenuated by the pre-amp!
At higher volumes, it's not a problem but it becomes proportionately worse as the volume is reduced. Maybe you're not playing loud enough :D
If the EQ is to be an "always on" pedal, it could be worth putting it last in the chain and reducing the volume on the pedal along with increasing it at the amp.
Personally, I'm generally not a fan of effects loops as it always sounds to me that loop effects change the feel of the amp. I can live with (possibly even like) moderate distortion after delays.
I am using a TH30H head- I only put my delay/phaser and EQ through the effects loop (eq acting as a volume boost more than anything) and everything else through the front .

With the volume increased the hum increases.

My delay in front of the amp sounds awful, but through the effects loop it sounds awesome for some reason :lol:

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 am

streettriple95 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am
PBA wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 am
I am using a TH30H head- I only put my delay/phaser and EQ through the effects loop (eq acting as a volume boost more than anything) and everything else through the front .

With the volume increased the hum increases.

My delay in front of the amp sounds awful, but through the effects loop it sounds awesome for some reason :lol:
So are you saying your delay makes no noise through the fx loop? If only the GE7 makes noise, this is a known issue on this pedal, some are noisy mine is not. There is a mod that can be done to quiet a noisy GE7, or just get a different EQ pedal or a boost. I have an LPB-1 which is a very affordable and effective boost pedal if you really don't need the functionality of an EQ and youre only looking for a volume boost. Also another is the MXR M-108 EQ, it has a gain and a volume slider which is useful in setting your volume boost tone.

Another thing to try with the GE7 is set all the sliders right in the middle on zero and set the level slider all the way up. This will give you a volume boost without boosting any of the frequencies, this is how I use it and it might be quieter in your fx loop. Even a little hum shouldn't be a big deal if youre playing a solo and then switching it off when youre done, you wont really hear the hum unless you stop playing while your boost is engaged.
Thunderverb 50

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I guess i was simply saying that if your new power supply does not have isolated outputs then whatever is currently going on with hum is not likely to necessarily improve..it may of course, by sheer luck, but the only way to ensure that pedals do not interact, and you do not couple the loop back to the input in this way, is with a power supply with isolated outputs..

streettriple95 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:13 pm
Mystic38 wrote:
I tried all of the pedals in front of the amp GUITAR>PEDALS>AMP and there is no hum. but when I put them through the FX loop a hum looms in the background (even with all the pedals off) :(
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 am

Problem Solved! I took the mxr DC brick back and purchased a STRYMON OJAI and now there is no noise AT ALL. There is a bit of a bad hiss when the GE7 equalizer is engaged but read about some mods to eliminate that, but at least the overall problem is solved! 8)

thanks for all your help on this thread! :P

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 am

Mystic38 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:24 pm
I guess i was simply saying that if your new power supply does not have isolated outputs then whatever is currently going on with hum is not likely to necessarily improve..it may of course, by sheer luck, but the only way to ensure that pedals do not interact, and you do not couple the loop back to the input in this way, is with a power supply with isolated outputs..

streettriple95 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:13 pm
Mystic38 wrote:

Problem Solved! Strymon OJAI power supply- no noise at all- I was using a dasiy chain to begin with so that might have caused a nasty hum

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

streettriple95 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 am
Problem Solved! I took the mxr DC brick back and purchased a STRYMON OJAI and now there is no noise AT ALL. There is a bit of a bad hiss when the GE7 equalizer is engaged but read about some mods to eliminate that, but at least the overall problem is solved! 8)

thanks for all your help on this thread! :P
Good deal! I'm glad you got it all figured out.
Thunderverb 50