Just played a CR60C.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Just played a CR60C.

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 am

Hello Everyone!

So I took the long way home today and stopped in at a music store that I hardly ever visit. They had a CR60C! YAY! So I hauled into the sound proof room, with a LP-Special AND! The guitar sucked... okay back out to the floor and oh! American Pro Jazz Master. So I proceeded to play, and lost track of time. I can't believe the tone coming out of this thing. It does the edge of breakup thing much better than my R30. Really quite impressed! what let me down a bit was the clean channel, as well as higher gain settings. The clean channel really needs a mid control IMO. I was able to coax some decent tones, but could get a much nicer clean sound by backing off the guitar volume on the dirty side. I also think the EQ on the dirty channel needs more POWER! I had the bass and mids dimed, and the treble backed off a few notches. Still seemed to be less bassy than the clean side, even with a slight bass boost. I even liked the spring reverb sounds great! I honesty forgot to test the other two as I was enjoying just a touch of spring on the tone. Great stuff! Super dynamic too. I will say I think it even sounds better than the new R32 Combo. Those things really let me down.

Anyhow, I think I want to get one haha. I currently have a Peavey bandit red stripe for my rip around combo, but these guys sound way better! Time for an upgrade!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Just played a CR60C.

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 am

Don't mean to be funny......

But most amps will do edge of break up better than the R30!!!! This amp has many strong points, but edge of break isn't one of them!!!

I'm still due to try those crush 60 or 120. Heard so much good about them, im really curious.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:26 pm

It's true! Just surprised how dynamic it is for an ss amp. An all analog micro terror would be awesome!

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 am

The Micro Terror is all analog. I think you mean solid state....

And yes, the CR60C is awesome.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I play a CR120H and CRPRO412. It crushes, especially if you run 2 cabs with V30's.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm

The MT is all analogue? I thought it was digital class D? In that case I guess the RV preamp just translates better.

Do the crushes have analog power sections as well? Or still class d?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm
The MT is all analogue? I thought it was digital class D? In that case I guess the RV preamp just translates better.

I believe the micro terrors are class D analogue.
Not sure about the smaller crush, but the CR60 and CR120 are all analogue too - except for the reverbs.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 am

I own a new Orange Crush Pro CR120H and matching Orange Crush Pro 4x12 Cabinet. I gotta say I’m happy and giddy every time I plug into this amp like I was the first day I received it. To be honest I bought this setup sight unseen and ears unheard. I did lots of reads, YouTube watching and reviews and nothing but positive is what I read. The only negatives were from those who were tube snobs or those who never tried one but dissed them just because they were solid state. Previously I had only ever played Orange tube amps but never solid state Orange amps. To my surprise I was completely blown away with both the clean and dirty channels. The reverb is sweet and very useful.

When I received my Orange CR120 I couldn’t believe how heavy this head was. Seriously, you would have thought this was a tube head from the weight and the sound of course. I’m not saying it’s overly heavy or anything but it’s got tube weight and not a solid state weight to it. This leads me to think and believe only one thing and that’s that Orange seriously put quality build into this head.

The Clean Channel is very clean and lush. There is no mid control on the clean channel but if you operate and dial in the Treble and Bass then you need no mid control - seriously. Of course depending on your sound, volume and more will depend on your Treble and Bass settings. NOTE: The Rockerverb doesn’t have a mid control either. The Clean Channel is one of the best I’ve ever heard, seriously. Each time I flip this amp on I’m amazed, can’t stop playing and my creative juices start flowing. And if properly setup you can get the Clean Channel to breakup like a tube amp, no joke and you can rollback on your guitars volume to clean it up.

The Dirty Channel is thick, raw and nasty. I seriously stopped using two distortion pedals after using the Dirty Channel. It’s wicked and very tasty. I still use a EH Big Muff and a EH Big Muff Tone Wicker but those are fuzz pedals.

The Reverb is the only thing digital on this amp. But this digital reverb is sweet and lush. The reverb can get quite intense when turned past 12 o’clock but not bad. Plus you have three reverbs which are plate, hall and spring - Lovely.

The Crush Pro 4x12 Cabinet is solid, beefy and great.

I use to a tube snob, literally and for a good reason because most solid state amps sucked. Plus most were not true analog and had so much digital crap behind them. Orange really took the time to build this amp and I believe they say it was 10 years in the build and design. And I’m seriously happy they took forever because obviously Orange didn’t want to release crap like most companies who release solid state crap. Orange has a beautiful and strong reputation and in no way would they risk damaging their image and reputation. I still fight with myself believing it’s a solid state and not a tube amp because it sounds a lot like a tube amp and better than a lot of tube amps on the market. Seriously I’m proud to own this beast and wouldn’t trade it for a tube amp. I’m converted happily from tube to solid state thanks to Orange. There are some tube enthusiasts who will never believe in a million years that the Crush Pro Series is worthy but trust me, let your ears and your heart be the judge. Forget the stand by switch, tubes glowing from the back and more. But,,, I will say some tube amps do have some small slight characteristics that will be harder to obtain but most will have difficulty noticing.

I’ve previously owned Mesa Dual Rec, Mesa Stiletto, Peavey Valveking 100, Fender Bassman, Fender Deluxe Reverb and Vox AC30. Great amps, sweet amps but I’m satisfied with my Orange CR120 halfstack. Btw “some” Orange purists will hate the Crush Pro series because it’s not tube but I think they should seriously be proud of this amp because it’s one of the best damn solid state amps ever - something to seriously be proud of from Orange. I’m not saying this is all Orange tube users but some. I see the matter no different than a car enthusiast who likes one brand over the other brand. I’m not saying it’s the best damn ever but it’s pretty damn near perfect for most. I think one day these amps will be looked up to like the Roland Jazz Chorus 120. Trust me 5 stars everywhere you look online can’t be just a coincidence.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:32 pm

I agree, Lyric. I love my setup too. I was also really hesitant about buying SS, but now that I have, I couldn't be happier. I've been plugging into my CRPRO412 and a Line 6 with V30's that's at the practice place. Running 2 cabs with this amp is crushing. CRUSHING. I'd love to hear what some high quality iron would bring to this amp, like a Mercury Mags upgrade.

Our band in the process of recording and I am amazed at how this amp sounds when recorded. It's extremely tube-like, but still has it's own tone going on. Really unique, raw and just powerful. When we're done with our recordings I'll post them up.

Last edited by lunchbox on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

The CR series are great amps. I use a CR120C + a PPC212OB for my new band project and the tone is absolutly massive.

Here are some pics of the "stack". I know it has nothing to do with the fact that you were playing a CR60 today but it's good looking... :lol:

RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:36 pm

I got mine about a year and a half ago. Still love it! Been using a bugera vintage 2x12 (v30 clones) and its almost as massive sounding as the 4x12 I used to use. Just more controlled on the low end. Still rips for doom. The only pedals I use are an OD and noise gate for metal tones, but I love rolling back the gain for a great crunch. Or sometimes I roll the gain back real low and punch it with a distortion pedal.

Everyone loves it except for one guy. He has to play it in a band I'm drumming in. Blames the "poor tone" on the fact its solid state (he uses a spyder normally), and lately buffers. But I'm positive its his guitar/technique. Plus he doesn't listen to me and dimes the gain. The only tone I don't like from it is when his shecter is plugged in.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:16 am

Great amps. My buddy "upgraded" from his 100 watt Marshall DSL half stack to a CR60C on a stand, he is very happy!
Thunderverb 50

Hippielivin88

Post by Hippielivin88 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 am

So I’ve been on the fence on getting rid of my mustang gt “although they have finally fixed the bugs and got it where they should be” cuz the speaker isn’t doing me any good and I cant justify throwing more money into it. When I bought it I overkilled An didn’t plan to be in a band again playin live. I play jam music, but I’ve always loved oranges sound obviously metal they are kinds but I likes then revamped crush series cuz they seemed easier to dial in rock distortion with a new age punch vs metal, I love playing older songs with that newer distortion that’s more of oranges signature sound. I always thought their distortion would
Be to much in came the 35rt. I bought a new one immediately after playing it the cleans were fully capable of funk stuff An then distortion could Be classic rock sounding with that orange punch I Love. I haven’t played very many oranges like the rockverb and rocker But I bet they sound amazing but their price isnt what I wanna drop.... unless it’s really worth it now as it sits I bought a tonebone ABY to have the orange be my distortion and the GT be my fx then run Y for cleans combine signals an it’s been working great so great in fact I want to upgrade to the 60 watt An either make it munch primary amps An just use it at shows or use it and keep the GT as a pedal board of sorts and run the fx through its side and the dry signal coming from the orange, as I’ve said it’s worked wonders with the 35rt I jsut have to rely on the GTs volume to much An would either like to A. Get rid of GT run one amp possibly the pro60 and have some money for pedals selling the gt and the expensive radial pedal. B. Selling the 35rt getting the 60 and keeping the gt An do what I’m doing now “the gt helps not paying for pedal and such An does help make my rig sound huge” Is the pro60 have better cleans then the 35rt or are they the same just louder if i went the one amp route I could sell the GT and the ABY An Walk away with enough for a used rocker15 “ I don’t think with orange
I would need the 30 these crushes are LOUD” or get the 120 I love fender cleans but I love punchy distortion I think its key to the sound and the price and sound of the crushs are impressive attack an feel almost as good As tubes... I Just wonder if it woulud Be pointless to have two of the same series’s amp and wonder about the cleans they sound great to me on the 35rt so I can’t imagine it getting worse? Any advice?

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm
Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I believe the micro terrors are class D analogue.
Not sure about the smaller crush, but the CR60 and CR120 are all analogue too - except for the reverbs.

Micro Terror uses an STA540 output chip which is Class A/B. (It actually has 4 bridgeable output sections and can put out a lot more than 15 watts -- perhaps for NAMM we'll see a stereo Micro, or a 40 watt Macro Terror.)

Les Paul Lover pointed out something important in passing:

Class D isn't "digital". Class A, A/B, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H aren't abbreviations; they don't stand for anything. They could have called them Class 1, 1/2, 2, 3, etc.