Rockerverb 50 combo MK I - how to remove head and bias

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

guy0naBuffalo

Rockerverb 50 combo MK I - how to remove head and bias

Post by guy0naBuffalo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 am

Picked up a used RV50 and absolutely love it! I wanted to put fresh power tubes in the amp because I don't know how old the current ones are.

How do I access the power tubes in Rockerverb 50 combo MK I for replacement and biasing?? I am questioning the best way to get the head unit out. Do I need to loosen the blue or green screws in the photo? I would think green, but mine are stripped (picked it up used :/ ) If I remove blue ones, head will come loose, but I won't be able to get it out the small opening or pull it up out of the top.

Also, does anyone have a biasing procedure for this amp? I have read around and watched a few videos for other amps, but haven't found a procedure specific to this amp. Does anyone have a photo of the inside of the head showing the bias potentiometers? I have tube bias meter and replacement tubes already.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Rockerverb 50 combo MK I - how to remove head and bias

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 am

Biasing an amp is not DIY. It requires specialty equipment and a knowledge of electronics. There are voltages in the amp stored in capacitors that will kill you.

Bring it to an amp tech and spend the few bucks that it will cost to be done right and safely.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Its real easy to bias an amp but as Billy pointed out its dangerous if you don't know what youre doing, you don't wanna become a DeadguyonaBuffalo.

Look at this thread on amp safety and then rethink if you want to do it yourself or not:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53016
Thunderverb 50

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 pm

I'll be the blunt one...if you need help getting the chassis open, you definitely should not attempt to work on the amp while it's open and energized. It's like asking how to tune up a car engine when you need someone to show you how to open the hood.

Find a tech or someone knowledgeable in your area that will show you the ropes.

If you're curious to do some reading, you can start here by reading this looooooong post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55491#p652865
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI