How "true" and useful is AmpliTube Orange®?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dflipp

How "true" and useful is AmpliTube Orange®?

Post by dflipp » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi!

So, I sometimes practice and record some "riff ideas" using the iRig + AmpliTube app combo, on my smartphone, while on-the-go, to later further develop those ideas in a "band context", with a proper rig...

My question is: Is it worth it to buy the AmpliTube Orange pack?
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/orangecs/

The whole idea is to get a close-enough tone to what I'll be able to later have on the "proper amp", namely in fine tweaking and experimenting settings for my Thunderverb 50. The Orange Pack "has" the Thunderverb 200.

So, is this a useful tool, that is able to provide "real Orange tones" you can later transpose to a real Orange amp? A gimmick? I would like to have this a an "portable experimental lab" to discover some sweet useable tones...

Am I asking for too much? What is your experience with this?

Any and all thoughts on this, very much welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

scottjpsmith

Re: How "true" and useful is AmpliTube Orange®?

Post by scottjpsmith » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi dflipp,

I have to say that in my experience they did a pretty damn good job with Amplitude Orange all things considered. When I'm using amp sims at night to write music, I find it true enough that I feel like its the right sound coming from whichever Orange sim I'm using at the moment. There may be a free trial for the desktop version and you can demo Orange models for 72 hours through the custom shop. That or if you have a smartphone or iPad its not that expensive. These videos may help: https://youtu.be/kcDdshjl-EY and https://youtu.be/K-mJTM3rjRs
Orange Gear: Rockerverb50 MKII, OR50 40th Anniversary, AD30TC, Crush 35RT, Fur Coat Fuzz, 10' Cable

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm

The phone app is fun, but not nearly as good as the computer version. I've recorded with it and think it sounds excellent, especially the AD30 model, I find it the most "alive" model.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm
The phone app is fun, but not nearly as good as the computer version. I've recorded with it and think it sounds excellent, especially the AD30 model, I find it the most "alive" model.
See I have the iPad version and really don't like the Orange amps at all. Are you saying that the full desktop version is different? You'd think they'd point that out as a selling point.

Example, the AD200B through a 1x15 sounds muddy and boring on the iPad copy. My AD200B and 1x15 sounds freakin' awesome in real life.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 pm

OU818 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm
Jondog wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm
See I have the iPad version and really don't like the Orange amps at all. Are you saying that the full desktop version is different? You'd think they'd point that out as a selling point.

Example, the AD200B through a 1x15 sounds muddy and boring on the iPad copy. My AD200B and 1x15 sounds freakin' awesome in real life.
I think they're very different. It's been a couple years since I've updated any of them so I don't know if anythings changed. But I recall somewhere the app versions just don't have enough processing power.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

I bet the speakers/headphones you use make a hell of a difference.

Jondog, have you ever tried the AD30 in real life?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
I bet the speakers/headphones you use make a hell of a difference.

Jondog, have you ever tried the AD30 in real life?
I have, once when I came across it in a shop, so can't say I have a lot of experience with it, but know I really liked it. That was back when I bought a Rockerverb, which was more what I was looking for. I have cloned it in my own builds, but using different power sections. In Amplitube, the AD30 is my go to because it felt closest to the way I set up the my real Rocker 30 making it something familiar.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 am

Well as I have Custom Shop installed on my recording rig I may as well give the AD200 desktop model a shot. If it is better than the iPad version then it may make my recording much easier as right now I am using the Sansamp VT Bass DI which, whilst great, isn't what I sound like live.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:30 pm

I quite enjoy the custom shop. I got the TT model with the included credits, and paid a few bucks for the PPC412. I will say it's convincing that's for sure. I actually used it on an EP a few months back and it just ripped. Both the guitar and bass player were in amazed at the sound, plus that EP was super easy to record. Both bass and guitar straight into the interface. Nice not worrying about mics, or amp settings for a change.

If we are comparing it to my actual TT with a JJ re-tube kit, I think the real one is a bit more aggressive. Might just be the fact that I'm in the room, or the upgraded tubes, but I have used it on numerous scratch takes and fooled many people. If I'm jamming late at night, or need to flush out a quick demo It really does the job.

What I would suggest is getting the custom shop, as you can download all of the models for a 24 hour trial. At least then you will know how they sound before spending that kind of money. I honestly hated the Rockerverb model. Super scooped sounding, then again, I don't like it in real life either. I also tried the OR50 model as I've had one of those on my wish list for a long time, but it was just too fuzzy for what I do. I would say the models get you 90-95% of the way there.

I also really like the included bass amp and cab. I think it's an Ampeg clone, but it's pretty tasty when you change to a tube power section. Just remember to shut the verb off :)

MettleGossett

Post by MettleGossett » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 am

Being honest? I have Amplitube Orange for Desktop and as fun as it is, you wont be able to record with it and feel like it's an accurate representation. It's too digital and as a result really lacks the overtones that you would want from your true Orange amp. That said I still use it for all of my demo stuff because I feel like it's in the ballpark, it's just really sterile. Hope that helps!
American Standard Tele || Classic Player Jazzmaster || TH30 Combo || Retro 50 || PPC212OB PPC112

http://www.mettleband.com
http://www.youtube.com/mettleband