Used market gotten greedy?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Used market gotten greedy?

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Anyone else finding the online used market has gotten greedy? Everything I look up seems to be close to new price unless it's beat up and falling apart. Lately I've be been looking for some pedals to mod. Particularly Boss DS-1 and SD-1, everything is $10 off the price of new and people won't take offers. Used to buy these pedals for $25-$30, they're $60 cdn new. Not just those pedals, it's a lot of stuff I've looked at and turned away, would rather buy new. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for retailers, although I can imagine that driving up the price of new.
When I sell gear I always put up what I think is a fair price, certainly not 90% of the new price like what I'm seeing.
Last edited by Jondog on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Used market gotten greedy?

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I blame Reverb. Their pricing is always higher than I think it should be, and I think there's been a trickle-down effect to other selling sites. There are some good deals on ebay still but in the long run, I find craigslist to be more realistic and readily available....

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Reverb doesn't really work for us in the UK.

But there's a but of everything on eBay and gumtree. Really good deals and used and dented stuff for 90% of brand new price. Those later ones usually stay up for sale for ever though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 am

The market is only as greedy as buyers allow it to be.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:51 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:13 pm
Anyone else finding the online used market has gotten greedy? Everything I look up seems to be close to new price unless it's beat up and falling apart. Lately I've be been looking for some pedals to mod. Particularly Boss DS-1 and SD-1, everything is $10 off the price of new and people won't take offers. Used to buy these pedals for $25-$30, they're $60 cdn new. Not just those pedals, it's a lot of stuff I've looked at and turned away, would rather buy new. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for retailers, although I can imagine that driving up the price of new.
When I sell gear I always put up what I think is a fair price, certainly not 90% of the new price like what I'm seeing.
I certainly know what you mean and see a lot of sellers 'trying it on ' with unrealistic prices but I also see a lot of these not getting sold. There are still bargains out there and you can still get a good deal especially if you can meet face to face or if an items about to end and no ones bid on it and you can pay in cash.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 am

Sooner wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 am
I'm not sure if you're saying it is, or taking a shot at me. The only time I'd consider buying a used item (that's in current production) close to new price is if it came with a good warranty, which is usually from a big retailer and most of the time that stuff is new-open box stuff. Since I've posted this topic I've put offers in on 3 SD-1's that were all selling at the price of a new one or a tad less and had scratches and nicks. All declined! I offer around 70-75% of new price. I can walk into my local shop tomorrow and get one new for the price they're asking and not have to worry about shipping, maybe a few dollars tax.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 am

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 am
Sooner wrote:
I'm not sure if you're saying it is, or taking a shot at me. The only time I'd consider buying a used item (that's in current production) close to new price is if it came with a good warranty, which is usually from a big retailer and most of the time that stuff is new-open box stuff. Since I've posted this topic I've put offers in on 3 SD-1's that were all selling at the price of a new one or a tad less and had scratches and nicks. All declined! I offer around 70-75% of new price. I can walk into my local shop tomorrow and get one new for the price they're asking and not have to worry about shipping, maybe a few dollars tax.

I think he's saying that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Patience and leg work is the key in buying used for a good price, keep at it! Let's hope the expensive items don't sell.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Snapjaw79

Post by Snapjaw79 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am

I'm definitely guilty of asking more than I know I'm going to get for something but I always accept offers, and only for stuff that isn't easy to find.
I once put an old les paul up for a couple grand more than it was worth (to test the waters) and it sold the next day. I was actually pretty bummed and regret ever selling it but couldn't refuse the offer.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have needed something that was nearly unavailable and paid way too much and knew it but needed it so whatever.
Orange or15
Orange or100
1973 Laney Supergroup
1973? Sunn model T 1st gen
70's Traynor ygl-3 Mkiii
orange and marshall cabs
Sg's and Les Paul's.
and some fenders.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am

Snapjaw79 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am
I'm definitely guilty of asking more than I know I'm going to get for something but I always accept offers, and only for stuff that isn't easy to find.
I once put an old les paul up for a couple grand more than it was worth (to test the waters) and it sold the next day. I was actually pretty bummed and regret ever selling it but couldn't refuse the offer.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have needed something that was nearly unavailable and paid way too much and knew it but needed it so whatever.

I always list stuff pretty high. Lately I've sold a couple of amps and a drum machine for my high asking price.... event though there was make an offer available on eBay!!!

But all that is stuff I bought for not much on eBay or elsewhere. The good deals are definitely there..... buy they're all mine!!!!! :twisted:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I just bought a used Gibson J-100 xtra12, 12 string acoustic just like my other J-100's. Always wanted a 12 string - they only made these from 1995-1996. Hard to find. I paid $1400 and expected a bidding war but no one else was bidding... it's hard to put a value on it (not even in the Vintage Guitar price guide) but I think the price was realistic....

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Feeling this for sure. A lot of the time I just go buy something new. For only a tad more might as well get the warranty. The exception is higher end gear that is >1000. I'll usually pay closer to retail for for something that is top end or very rare gear. For cheaper stuff it always has to be 50% or more.

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

It's all a balance... I will list stuff for more than I should and sometimes it sells but really it's to be able to come down in price. Regardless of what you want to sell it for some knucklehead offers something crazy low....
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 am
Sooner wrote:
I'm not sure if you're saying it is, or taking a shot at me.
No shots fired! Just saying most sellers will always try to get as much as possible, but they can only be as greedy as buyers let them.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm

It's not so much the listing price, it's the fact they won't accept an offer $10 below the asking by price I'm finding. But the asked price is pretty much new price. I'm talking about stuff that is still in production and can be bought new. I'm also paying in Canadian funds, which our dollar sucks compared to the US, so if I offer $10 Canadian below asking, it's about $7 US. Anyways, I was half a step out the front door to go buy a new sd-1 today, when an alert popped up on my phone for an sd-1 selling in the locals. The guy took $10 off his asking price and I picked it up an hour ago 5 minutes from my house, so didn't have to pay shipping either! Came with original box and manuals and in better shape than the ones I was inquiring about online. $40 Canadian was the cost, pretty much exactly what it should be.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 am

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm
It's not so much the listing price, it's the fact they won't accept an offer $10 below the asking by price I'm finding. But the asked price is pretty much new price. I'm talking about stuff that is still in production and can be bought new. I'm also paying in Canadian funds, which our dollar sucks compared to the US, so if I offer $10 Canadian below asking, it's about $7 US. Anyways, I was half a step out the front door to go buy a new sd-1 today, when an alert popped up on my phone for an sd-1 selling in the locals. The guy took $10 off his asking price and I picked it up an hour ago 5 minutes from my house, so didn't have to pay shipping either! Came with original box and manuals and in better shape than the ones I was inquiring about online. $40 Canadian was the cost, pretty much exactly what it should be.

Excellent!!!

I like happy endings!!!!
Ant