Overdrive or Distortion pedal to replace Gain preamp?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ryannn29

Overdrive or Distortion pedal to replace Gain preamp?

Post by Ryannn29 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 am

Hey all,
I'm trying to essentially create two channels for clean and dirty with my single-channel Dark Terror amp by adding a pedal (these aren't exact settings, but are close to them)
Clean: 20% gain, 75% volume
Dirty: 50% gain, 25% volume

Since the only two settings I change are gain and volume, I was thinking of setting my amp to my clean settings, then I'd use a gain pedal of some sort to replace the need for manually changing the gain knob on the amp every time I want to swap tones. Of course, I also still need to figure how'd deal with the change in volume as well.

1. Would a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal be more suitable for replacing my increase to the gain preamp knob? My research tells me distortion, but I'm still not quite sure.
Answer: Distortion, overdrive is usually for an already distorted amplifier. However, for some styles that aren't so high gain, an overdrive can work, all depends on preference.

2. If I put a volume pedal in my effects loop, will that have the same effect as using the volume knob on my amplifier, or not at all?
Answer: Yes, it would have similar effect.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

P.s. I've already tried out the Dual Terror. Though it did have a great rock tone, it's not the tone I was going for, where as the Dark Terror is. TH30 would be cool but I value the small size of the Dark Terror.
Last edited by Ryannn29 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Overdrive or Distortion pedal to replace Gain preamp?

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 am

If you're setting up clean, distortion would probably be better. I always felt overdrives worked best with an already or close to overdriven amp.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:37 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 am
If you're setting up clean, distortion would probably be better. I always felt overdrives worked best with an already or close to overdriven amp.
Yeah, an overdrive on a clean channel will not get a very distorted sound, more like Led Zeppelin or AC/DC than metal.

Ryannn29

Post by Ryannn29 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Gotchya, that's what I was thinking. Thanks guys, I'm going to look into distortion pedals.

One other question.... if I put a volume pedal in my effects loop, will that have the same effect as using the volume knob on my amplifier, or not at all? (added this question to my main post as well)

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am

Volume pedal in FX loop would be pretty much like using the volume knob.

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am

Here are my takes:

1. Would a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal be more suitable for replacing my increase to the gain preamp knob? My research tells me distortion, but I'm still not quite sure.
Answer: Well, it depends on what type of guitar you have and what sound you're going for. If going for that hi-gain metal sound, then yes a distortion pedal is needed. If it's anything from hard rock tones to blues, then an overdrive would do. I also find that EQ + your playing style contributes a whole lot to your overall sound. At gigging volumes, I reckon that you won't have a spanky clean section from your dark terror and that it would already be breaking up a bit. Personally, I think an OD + EQ will suffice and more.

2. If I put a volume pedal in my effects loop, will that have the same effect as using the volume knob on my amplifier, or not at all?
Answer: Pretty much.

Hope this helps. 8)

God made man... everything else is made in China!

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm

i vote set to clean and use an overdrive..

whatever sounds best to you is the answer of course, but conventionally, distortion pedals work best into a clean amp, and while you have lowered your gain on the DT for it to be clean, it is not a clean channel, it is a gain channel with a reduced input, and any increase in input volume would cause the channel to start its own natural distortion...

as to having a volume pedal in the fx loop, no it is not the same as using your volume pot on the guitar.. you are lowering the volume of the preamp output, so if your guitar is on 10 and you are distorting, then lowering a pedal in the fx loop will simply make it quieter, while lowering the guitar volume will reduce, then eliminate the gain.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Ryannn29

Post by Ryannn29 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 am

thanks everyone for your input! I got the answers I was looking for.
Mystic38 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm
as to having a volume pedal in the fx loop, no it is not the same as using your volume pot on the guitar.. you are lowering the volume of the preamp output, so if your guitar is on 10 and you are distorting, then lowering a pedal in the fx loop will simply make it quieter, while lowering the guitar volume will reduce, then eliminate the gain.
Yeah, I hear you. That's why I was asking if it was similar to the volume knob on the amp and not the guitar. I personally don't like to turn down the volume knob on a guitar to achieve tone change, it just never sounds as full to me. That's why I'm to implement a volume pedal in the FX loop that won't have affect on the guitar's sound, but more-so just pure volume reduction.

thanks!

SIXTENCONNECTOR

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Ryannn29 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 am
thanks everyone for your input! I got the answers I was looking for.
Mystic38 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm
Yeah, I hear you. That's why I was asking if it was similar to the volume knob on the amp and not the guitar. I personally don't like to turn down the volume knob on a guitar to achieve tone change, it just never sounds as full to me. That's why I'm to implement a volume pedal in the FX loop that won't have affect on the guitar's sound, but more-so just pure volume reduction.

thanks!
To echo what Mystic said, yes volume pedal in front of your amp (not fx loop) is essentially just adding another volume pot to your guitar chain. By backing off using volume knob or pedal you will reduce the gain in the amp without too much of a volume decrease. Of course you only back off a bit or you will in fact reduce volume as well. This is what makes great tube amps great IMO. I just back off on my volume to clean up the gain on my rockerverb when I want to go semi-clean. No channel switching and no "distortion" pedals mucking up that wonderful preamp stage ;-) YMMV

Good Luck!
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep

Ryannn29

Post by Ryannn29 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 am

Yeah, the more I've researched distortion pedals, the less I want to use one. I read somewhere that a pedal can never produced what an amp's preamp produces due to factors like wattage...

oh what to do with a 1 channel amp when you want two...

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

guess i am not sure i am seeing your issue... its not as if folks have never worked with a one channel amp before :)

If you like the tone of your guitar/amp when clean, and also when its dirty, then simply

1. Set amp gain for cleanish tones with guitar volume knob at 5,
2. roll guitar volume up to 10 for crunch
3. stomp on a clean boost of 6dB or so for lead tone..

numerous flat clean boosts available, such as the mini spark etc, or use one with a mid hump for a classic lead tone.. all are good

Ryannn29 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 am
Yeah, the more I've researched distortion pedals, the less I want to use one. I read somewhere that a pedal can never produced what an amp's preamp produces due to factors like wattage...

oh what to do with a 1 channel amp when you want two...
-Ian-

2014 G&L Fallout

Ryannn29

Post by Ryannn29 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:46 am

For me, personally, rolling down the volume on the guitar knob isn't a viable solution because the tone I get clean isn't anywhere near the sound I get when I change volume on amp and leaving pickup volume knob on full.

Additionally, turning a volume knob is no where near fast enough or even remotely accurate enough for recording (or even regular playing, imo).

That's just my opinion, though.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 pm

if your tone gets muddy when you roll off the volume, then checkout "treble bleed" circuits to add across the volume knob..
-Ian-

2014 G&L Fallout

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 am

Mystic38 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 pm
if your tone gets muddy when you roll off the volume, then checkout "treble bleed" circuits to add across the volume knob..
Totally agree! Its well worth it but id also recommend the clean boost in front of the amp. I use a TT with a pair of SHO's one set in the middle and one set at max. Putting a clean boost in front should allow you to get the same distortions as you get when you crank the gain because your hitting the preamp with all that power. The SHO has a bit of sparkle too so you can get really rich harmonic tones out of your dark terror.

anyway you could also check out some pre-amp pedals

If the Dark Terror has a loop you could look at a preamp pedal such as the Kingsly Maiden http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/65/ or the constable http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/58/ the lads on 'that pedal show' rave about them

Single channel amps are great! wouldn't get rid of the TT for anything ... might change the cab tho :lol:

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:24 pm

No one suggest this beast yet?

https://www.mpamp.com/factory-pedals/ev ... nderdrive/

You buy an Orange for the drive sounds. Don't use a pedal to get there. Instead use one to clean up :D

To be honest though, you can do the same thing with an EQ pedal. Just make sure it has a volume slider.