Treble Booster for Custom Shop 50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

tremolo arm
Tiny Terror

Treble Booster for Custom Shop 50

Post by tremolo arm » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I've had my CS50 for 5 months now and absolutely love it. The tone has helped me downsize the pedal board, getting rid of a couple of dirt pedals, which are now superfluous.

I like to run the amp with controls at 12 o'clock, except bass (rolled back) and treble and mids - pushed up. With the controls set like this, I get a wonderful dirty rhythm tone which I can clean up with the guitar volume control.

However I still end up wishing I had a pedal for solos, for a more focused tone whilst also giving me a good ignition of volume. My current dirt pedals (Fulltone 69 fuzz face, Xotic SL Drive and Lovepedal Kalamazoo) don't do this. They just make the signal dirtier and actually make the tone less defined (which is the contrary to what I want to achieve).

I know treble boosters are designed to work really well with already overdriven amps, so I just wanted to get Orange users' opinions if that is a good way to achieve what I'm after and if so, which Treble Booster you would recommend.

So far, I have set my eyes on the Keeley Java Boost and the Analogman Beano.
Any thoughts?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Treble Booster for Custom Shop 50

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm

I can't comment on the pedals you have in sight.

There's a number of ways to achieve your aim though. A simple clean boost can do it - the zvex SHO for example can be set to provide quite an input jump on the signal, adds a little crispness but is mostly transparent, and the volume and /or OD boost it provides depends on your own amp settings. But with gain and volume at noon on your CS50, my bet is you would get both volume and OD boost without losing definition.

Another way I can do it is with my inexpensive yet excellent Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. Essentially a tube screamer variant, but the interesting part of the variant is that you get a flat EQ, and independent bass and treble controls. I use mine with extra bass for my purposes (fatter OD) and it's one of the few pedals that work well on my RV50 dirty channel too. (It's inexpensive as it's discontinued - can be picked up on eBay for next to nowt as it isn't a cool boutique builder, but quality and tones are fantastic).

In essence, either a change in frequency (treble booster, OD with good EQ controls, or even a EQ pedal) would make your leads stand out, or the old fashioned volume boost.
Some compressors have excellent volume and EQ controls too, like my old japanese guyatone sustained.

All are great ways to get there. ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon May 22, 2017 8:46 pm

I have an OR50 that I run about the same as you, medium crunch tone , pedals to boost.
I have a Java boost that works well, but it does color the sound considerably. In my mind a 70's Zep old school kind of way.
For a clean boost I used an Xotic EP boost.
Very nice, a little color maybe , but my go to pedal.

tremolo arm
Tiny Terror

Post by tremolo arm » Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm

There's a number of ways to achieve your aim though. A simple clean boost can do it - the zvex SHO for example can be set to provide quite an input jump on the signal, adds a little crispness but is mostly transparent, and the volume and /or OD boost it provides depends on your own amp settings. But with gain and volume at noon on your CS50, my bet is you would get both volume and OD boost without losing definition.

Another way I can do it is with my inexpensive yet excellent Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. Essentially a tube screamer variant, but the interesting part of the variant is that you get a flat EQ, and independent bass and treble controls. I use mine with extra bass for my purposes (fatter OD) and it's one of the few pedals that work well on my RV50 dirty channel too. (It's inexpensive as it's discontinued - can be picked up on eBay for next to nowt as it isn't a cool boutique builder, but quality and tones are fantastic).

In essence, either a change in frequency (treble booster, OD with good EQ controls, or even a EQ pedal) would make your leads stand out, or the old fashioned volume boost.
Some compressors have excellent volume and EQ controls too, like my old japanese guyatone sustained.

Thanks. I like your EQ pedal recommendation. I have found that if I set my Boss EQ pedal at slightly above unity, it will provide a boost, especially if I have accentuated the mids too.
I guess I was looking for something which apart from boosting, it would also add hair, whilst retaining the definition, but improving sustain. Think of it as a solo pedal.

tremolo arm
Tiny Terror

Post by tremolo arm » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 am

Eddie Famine wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:46 pm
I have an OR50 that I run about the same as you, medium crunch tone , pedals to boost.
I have a Java boost that works well, but it does color the sound considerably. In my mind a 70's Zep old school kind of way.
The Java Boost is exactly what I was considering, but I've read reviews that it is quite noisy when run with a power supply. I currently power the entire pedal board with a Boss adaptor, from which I daisy chain. I just don't want to run the risk of noise issues. That's why I was considering the Beano Boost, which runs on batteries and has the very useful on/off pot to turn it off (without disconnecting from the input jack).

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue May 23, 2017 2:46 pm

tremolo arm wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks. I like your EQ pedal recommendation. I have found that if I set my Boss EQ pedal at slightly above unity, it will provide a boost, especially if I have accentuated the mids too.
I guess I was looking for something which apart from boosting, it would also add hair, whilst retaining the definition, but improving sustain. Think of it as a solo pedal.
Guitar volume knob turned down for your rhythm tone and roll it up for lead, this way you'll get the volume and hair youre looking for. Another way to achieve this is with a pedal like the EHX Pad Attenuator, its essentially a guitar volume knob in a pedal so you can do this with your foot rather than fumbling with your hand on a guitar volume knob. Also an eq pedal will work the same way, turn the level down on the pedal for your rhythm tone, when you turn the pedal off you go back to your lead tone that's dialed in the amp, plus you have the eq pedal sliders to adjust your rhythm tone.
Thunderverb 50

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Tue May 23, 2017 3:01 pm

tremolo arm wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 am
Eddie Famine wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:46 pm
The Java Boost is exactly what I was considering, but I've read reviews that it is quite noisy when run with a power supply. I currently power the entire pedal board with a Boss adaptor, from which I daisy chain. I just don't want to run the risk of noise issues. That's why I was considering the Beano Boost, which runs on batteries and has the very useful on/off pot to turn it off (without disconnecting from the input jack).
I run it with a power supply too and don't find it noisy, but it is not a clean boost.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm

I am surprised you can't get what you want with that kalamazoo....have you exhausted the settings on it?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

tremolo arm
Tiny Terror

Post by tremolo arm » Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm
I am surprised you can't get what you want with that kalamazoo....have you exhausted the settings on it?
The Kalamazoo has a crunch tone which is on the dark side. Very musical when run into a clean Fender-ish type amp, but gets kind of bassy when run into the Orange.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I though the kalamazoo sounded eerily similar to a klon centaur? I have a klon clone that will get trebly with the right settings. They do seem to have a honky mid that stays present though.

I know the beano isn't cheap.

I actually had a dallas rangemaster clone sent to me from John Mcneese that he built a few years ago. It is in a stompbox enclosure and sounds great. John is a big sabbath fan and is a great amp tech and electronics guru. This pedal is built very well and sounds great. Per John, his pedal is real close to the rangemaster (sound) that Iommi used. Maybe that would be an option if you aren't set on the big name of the beano.

I can give more information about if interested.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

tremolo arm
Tiny Terror

Post by tremolo arm » Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm
I though the kalamazoo sounded eerily similar to a klon centaur? I have a klon clone that will get trebly with the right settings. They do seem to have a honky mid that stays present though.

I know the beano isn't cheap.

I actually had a dallas rangemaster clone sent to me from John Mcneese that he built a few years ago. It is in a stompbox enclosure and sounds great. John is a big sabbath fan and is a great amp tech and electronics guru. This pedal is built very well and sounds great. Per John, his pedal is real close to the rangemaster (sound) that Iommi used. Maybe that would be an option if you aren't set on the big name of the beano.

I can give more information about if interested.
Thanks but I already bought the Beano :wink:
I'll report once I get it from the US (I'm in the UK). You are right it was expensive, but what the hell. You only live once.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Well Cool. I almost bought a beano myself once, too. Let us know how it goes.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI