new dual dark 100 owner

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

rleeh3

new dual dark 100 owner

Post by rleeh3 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:15 am

love the amp at full gain. but i can't really get a totally clean channel. i am running an emg81 and i am detuned. but still, i should be be able to roll back the gain on either channel for those rare instances when i want to play clean. but even at only one tick on the gain, there's still a little buzz on my low strings (dropped 'a'). active pickup? heavy ass gauge string? pickup to close to the string? problem with pulling back so much gain is that i need to increase volume to match levels with dirty channel, and inevitably run out of room if i'm blasting the dirty channel. (i didn't get this amp play quietly).

any ideas, advice, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: new dual dark 100 owner

Post by Jondog » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 am

Not sure, but I don't think it was designed to be a totally clean amp. There's pedals that could help if you want to go that route.

scottjpsmith

Post by scottjpsmith » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi, I'm thinking this pedal may be the solution: Mad Professor Evolution Orange Underdrive. If you try it let me know how it works as I'm thinking of getting one for my OR15.
Orange Gear: Rockerverb50 MKII, OR50 40th Anniversary, AD30TC, Crush 35RT, Fur Coat Fuzz, 10' Cable

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 pm

scottjpsmith wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm
Hi, I'm thinking this pedal may be the solution: Mad Professor Evolution Orange Underdrive. If you try it let me know how it works as I'm thinking of getting one for my OR15.
I use this pedal and love it. With the amp set to a light-medium crunch tone, using the Evolution Orange I can dial in a really nice clean sound. Having the amp set right is the key with the pedal to get the tone you're looking for out of it. I use a transparent overdrive or boost to push the amp into heavier gain, a Way Huge Saucy Box to be specific. Been using this set-up on a Tiny Terror lately and have found it to be one of the best set-ups I've ever run. The Evolution Orange can be used as a mild boost or mid boost also a general tone shaping tool as well.

scottjpsmith

Post by scottjpsmith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks for the testimonial on that Jondog. Good to know! I ended up selling my OR15 as I wanted to pick up something with more wattage. I may just pick up an OR50 now as they can be had for a reasonable price and pair it with the pedal for some cleanish tones when I need them.
Orange Gear: Rockerverb50 MKII, OR50 40th Anniversary, AD30TC, Crush 35RT, Fur Coat Fuzz, 10' Cable