Best speaker/amp for bedroom jamming?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jd261808

Best speaker/amp for bedroom jamming?

Post by jd261808 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:55 pm

What do you think is the best setup for a small studio in a large bedroom in a townhouse? I have large amps at the moment but can't really play it past 2 on volume. What is my best option here? Orange amps obviously because they are my favorite.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Best speaker/amp for bedroom jamming?

Post by Jondog » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 am

Rocker 15. Has a bedroom setting :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 am

Jondog wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 am
Yep, I'd be tempted to say that even without trying it. :D

What I do have and use (believe it or not) is the Blackstar Fly Bass mini combo (3W) + mini powered extension cab (3W more). Well okay for acoustic level bass practice, but for electric guitar - phenomenal sounds. Lots of volume and really nice distortion, just knockout sounds, and very affordable. I've even ambient mic'd this up for recording and it sounded awesome!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ngocthuc08290

Post by ngocthuc08290 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 am

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 am

Rockerverb 100Mklll. Has attenuator.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am

For me a bedroom map must have built in effects, otherwise it's just a box with a crappy sound :D I have the line 6 micro spider, it's fine, good generic sounds, but I prefer my old Marshall MG2FX, that sound really good, with true Marshall sound.
I've also tried the Blackstar ID CORE 10, and I really liked it.
I'd really like Orange to release such a small amp with all FX in (smaller than the RT)

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am
For me a bedroom map must have built in effects, otherwise it's just a box with a crappy sound :D I have the line 6 micro spider, it's fine, good generic sounds, but I prefer my old Marshall MG2FX, that sound really good, with true Marshall sound.
I'd really like Orange to release such a small amp with all FX in (smaller than the RT)
Smaller than a 20RT or 35RT? Cant get much smaller than that unless you go for one of those apps on your Android or iPhone you can plug your guitar into that has Orange models. They actually look pretty good.

I suppose if budget is a factor, I'd go Rocker 15 on the high end or 35RT on the low end.
Thunderverb 50

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Wed May 17, 2017 6:43 pm

a.hun wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 am
Jondog wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 am
Yep, I'd be tempted to say that even without trying it. :D

What I do have and use (believe it or not) is the Blackstar Fly Bass mini combo (3W) + mini powered extension cab (3W more). Well okay for acoustic level bass practice, but for electric guitar - phenomenal sounds. Lots of volume and really nice distortion, just knockout sounds, and very affordable. I've even ambient mic'd this up for recording and it sounded awesome!

Andy.
+1 for the Blackstar Fly 3. I use the guitar version, it's incredible for the price and works perfectly with a Mooer Hustle Drive in front of it. I just use the clean channel wide open, the rest will be done with the volume knob of the guitar.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu May 18, 2017 5:42 am

pedecamp wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm
Hubaxe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am
Smaller than a 20RT or 35RT? Cant get much smaller than that unless you go for one of those apps on your Android or iPhone you can plug your guitar into that has Orange models. They actually look pretty good.

I suppose if budget is a factor, I'd go Rocker 15 on the high end or 35RT on the low end.
For bedroom playing under 10W is more than enough. Orange should release a kind of Micro Cube with real good sound, not like the Crush Pix. I'm sorry to say that on an Orange forum.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 am

I switch between an Orange Micro Dark and PPC112 cab for "not so quiet" sessions in the home environment, and a Roland Micro Cube GX. The Cube gets most of my playing when really quiet playing is needed. It produces a "bouncy" tone; not really tube-like, but I like it for its' convincing models of Fender (using a Fender guitar) and VOX AC30 for a Les Paul. I'm a long time owner of one and would not part with it.

I agree that Orange should engineer something along the Cube line with their own take on a few
well known Orange Amp flavors.

adkguy07

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 am
I switch between an Orange Micro Dark and PPC112 cab for "not so quiet" sessions in the home environment, and a Roland Micro Cube GX. The Cube gets most of my playing when really quiet playing is needed. It produces a "bouncy" tone; not really tube-like, but I like it for its' convincing models of Fender (using a Fender guitar) and VOX AC30 for a Les Paul. I'm a long time owner of one and would not part with it.

I agree that Orange should engineer something along the Cube line with their own take on a few
well known Orange Amp flavors.

adkguy07
I don't know man, Orange already has a bunch of micro crush amps out there already, IMO the RT being the best. Plus its got a headphone jack if you really need to be quiet.
Thunderverb 50

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Sun May 21, 2017 7:04 am

I had the OR15 and is far from being bedroom friendly. Way too loud to sound good, too fizzy on low volume. It's a great amp, but not for bedroom. Have a look at the Marshall 1 watt series. Expensive new, but maybe you find a good deal used. Even these can be too loud in a bedroom, but you get plenty of control over volume to sound good. Plus the 0.1W setting - which I never use :)

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 am

I'm surprised there's not more love for the Micro Terror or Micro Dark in this thread. Are they too loud? Tonally inferior? I've been tempted by them lately for the exact same reasons the OP states. Should I look elsewhere?

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am

Ade wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 am
I'm surprised there's not more love for the Micro Terror or Micro Dark in this thread. Are they too loud? Tonally inferior? I've been tempted by them lately for the exact same reasons the OP states. Should I look elsewhere?

Ade
The reason I include the Micro Dark (above post) is the fact that The V30 has now broken in to the point where a slightly higher volume and gain level coming from my MD sounds better to me at my
chosen volume level for bedroom/small studio use. We all know that a certain amp volume level is required for an optimum tone. In my case, I could not quite get the MD's level up high enough to get some chime and crunch going on. With the V30 now somewhat broken in, the whole rig is sounding better to my ears without getting above my require volume levels.

adkguy07