Daisy-chaining and ohms

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Joe Mac

Daisy-chaining and ohms

Post by Joe Mac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 pm

I haven't quite wrapped my head around daisy-chaining and the resulting ohm load. More specifically: is there a way to run three PPC412s from a single OR100 head by daisy-chaining two of the cabs...? I have always run either one cab from the 16- or two cabs from the 8-ohm outputs, as per instructions.

If two 16-ohm cabs daisy-chained results in an 8-ohm load (as described under the daisy-chain FAQ), can this come from one of the 8-ohm outputs, with the third cab from the other 8-ohm output? If so, why does this not differ from running just one cab from each 8-ohm output?? :?

Thanks

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Daisy-chaining and ohms

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 am

Joe Mac wrote:I haven't quite wrapped my head around daisy-chaining and the resulting ohm load. More specifically: is there a way to run three PPC412s from a single OR100 head by daisy-chaining two of the cabs...? I have always run either one cab from the 16- or two cabs from the 8-ohm outputs, as per instructions.

If two 16-ohm cabs daisy-chained results in an 8-ohm load (as described under the daisy-chain FAQ), can this come from one of the 8-ohm outputs, with the third cab from the other 8-ohm output? If so, why does this not differ from running just one cab from each 8-ohm output?? :?

Thanks
No, you can only run two 16 ohm cabs from the 8 ohm outputs, whether the cabs are daisy chained together, or each 16 ohm cab is plugged into each 8 ohm output. The 8 ohm output are in parallel, which is the same as what happens when you daisy chain the cabs. Three cabs would end up putting a 5.33 ohm load on the amp.

Joe Mac

Re: Daisy-chaining and ohms

Post by Joe Mac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks!