How does everyone do their dual amp setup?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

How does everyone do their dual amp setup?

Post by afjungemann » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:30 pm

I have been experimenting more with running two amps at the same time for tone stacking but not sure how to accomplish it in a live setting. I see the Boss ES8 can basically handle the fx loop of both amps as well as channel control for both anps. Seems pretty cool. However, has anyone used a different approach that would accomplish similar things?

Also, does anyone know of a channel selecting footswitch that can run two heads?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

SixStrings9Lives

Re: How does everyone do their dual amp setup?

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 am

I try to keep things simple. All of my fx are TC Electronics, which are stereo in/out. I have a cable snake that goes to each amp which consists of fx send/return, channel selector and input to front end of the amp. It's basically four 20 foot signal cables with quarter inch jacks at each end that I have zip tied together with color coded tags to ID them at each end. So, there are two of these and all I have to do is hook them up and I'm ready to rock. Because I use two orange heads, I'm able to use the RV's two button foot switch to channel switch both heads.. For the input signal, it runs from the guitar to tuner then to a stereo uni-vibe type pedal and out from each side of it to the amp inputs. I'll attach a pic of my board and you can see what I mean - It really takes about 5 minutes to set up/tear down!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:49 am

OH YEA! Right up my alley! I've been working on a stereo A/B rig for a few years now and am finally happy. Now I don't "stack" amps, I use one for clean/wet and one for dirty/dry.

Wireless --> Decimator II --> Flashback Mini --> A/B

A --> Timeline --> Bluesky --> Looper --> Patchbay --> Amp
B --> Looper --> Patchbay --> Amp

So you are looking for an A/B that also has channel switching functionality?

Email these guys:

http://www.loop-master.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They can make anything you need. I used a channel switcher/TB Looper combo from them for quite a while and it was awesome. If you are looking for amp stacking, just get an ABY box. The Decibel 11 Split Personality has midi control, so if you are into that kind of thing, you could swap amps, and channels all via midi. Not sure how complicated you are wanting to go, but anything is possible if you got the cash :D

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 pm

You need a decent ABY box. I bi-amp two amp simultaneously, same signal.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:43 pm

I think the OP is looking for an ABY that also has a built in channel switcher.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I also run stereo pedals but I don't actually have them set up as stereo yet...
Boy_Narf wrote:I think the OP is looking for an ABY that also has a built in channel switcher.
You are right! I am not sure if you all are familiar with the Boss ES8 but it is an looper that can control midi pedals as well as 6 functions on amps. It looks absolutely perfect except for one hang up. It doesn't support two fx loops. It can run all the pedals through the front of two amps and you can switch between each amp or use both at once for tone stacking but you can't do the same with the fx in the lop. I run all my pedals in the fx loop and what I would really love is to be able to run two amps with effects that go to both amps but in their fx loop. Using stereo pedals would be fine but then if I have to change channels on both amps and add fx all individually and that is just not feasible for me.

Does anyone know of a looper like the ES8 that can put the fx into two different fx loops simeltaneous?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 am

Contact those Loop-Master guys. They can custom build anything, and their prices are very reasonable.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:12 am

When I run two amps: I use a TC Electronics G-System and use left/ right outputs to run into the two amps.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:23 pm

bclaire wrote:When I run two amps: I use a TC Electronics G-System and use left/ right outputs to run into the two amps.
I was tempted to go this way but I want to be able to run fx in both loops and as far as I know, you can't do that with the G system. If you can then I will certainly take another look.

I think I may have come up with a work around. It looks more complicated than it would be but it still results in several cable connections.

basically, the right (or left) stereo sides would be used for amp A and the other side could be used through the ES8 if you so chose and used through the other fx loop or you could bypass the ES8 and go into the other fx loop. The ES8 would then use its midi presets to control the Strymon pedals (or any other stereo midi capable pedals) as well as the amps channel switching. Since the guitar signal goes through the ES8, patches could be used to direct signal to either or both amps. This is kind of what I wanted to accomplish but if there is an easier way or something else that would work better, let me know.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:01 am

I don't use effects loops - I run the G-System into the front of the amps which I think, is what you're supposed to do with them....

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm not a big fan of pedals or effects. I use an ABY pedal to switch between amps. I have a foot switch for each of amps to change between channels on each amp. Any effects pedals are assigned to an individual amp and in the signal chain between the ABY and the amp or in the effects loop of the particular amp. It is hard to get an effect pedal at a particular setting to sound optimal through two different amps at the time. With two amps, each having two channels, there are eight possible combinations. That should be enough.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:37 pm

I guess I'm lazy/lucky. Last pedal in the chain (all in front) is a TimeFactor. It has two outputs..will split the signal even when effect is off. It will also split its dual delays for stereo and ping pong effect even if the input is mono...which it is for me.

I do have a Radial passive ABY but rarely use it.
Last edited by jangle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:03 am

I have full stereo pedals as well but I play high gain for the band I am in so running in front of the amp is not an option. If I run them in the loop, then I have to pedal dance as much as I do now but adding the second amp means that I also then have to juggle channel switching on two amps as well.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Well if you want to really get in depth, you could take a look at The GigRig systems. They're programmable and I believe they're fully capable to output to multiple amps. Pricey, though... There might be similar systems out there that could give you the same sort of functionality.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:37 pm

got a radial twin city ABY pedal in my stocking this year. straight up I have to say that this thing works famously well - quiet switching, ZERO tone suck, low noise, phase switch (priceless).

for now I just have my normal pedal chain running to the switch and patching it out from there. definitely won't be using it live until I get used to tweaking two 2-channel amps.

amp 1 fuchs blackjack ---> 2x12 wgs 65's
amp 2 rocker 30 ---> 1x12 EVM12 or vintage altec 417

tonus ridiculus.

OT
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof