Experienced guitarist, no Orange experience. Need Advice.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Propajondhi

Experienced guitarist, no Orange experience. Need Advice.

Post by Propajondhi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:04 pm

hey guys,
My first post and I come from a prog metal band using a mesa tri axis with a 290 power amp and a port city 4x12 OS wave, long story short, I had to sell everything for a legal issue with my kids which i won and i am now the proud owner of two boys, guitar player, and a band waiting on me to get some gear. I am looking for an orange set up that can do anything from moderately hard rock in the sense of solos, like Steve Vai or Paul Waggoner, to softer stuff like Nick Cave and the bad seeds. I am just not playing metal any more. So I need something that can be utilized for its clean tones with a decent over drive I can pair with my Tube screamer for solos etc. Also affordable, I have two boys and no child support, so any technical advice would be awesome. I have been looking at the Orange CR 120H and a 4x12 cab which price range is more than ok. I thought I would see if anyone else has a recommendation that would keep me under 2,000 dollars. I can't go above that. Thank you in advance.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Experienced guitarist, no Orange experience. Need Advic

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:29 pm

If you want tubes maybe have a look at the th30? Nice warm Orange favoured clean channel based on the Rv series and loads of gain on the second channel. Effects loop also.

No idea how a tube screamer sounds through it though
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Propajondhi

Post by Propajondhi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:32 pm

I will absolutely look into it. I am really focused on good control of cleans. I am venturing out of my usual comfort zone to try something totally different. So as long as i can pull good leads for solos with high gain that will work, but how is the clean chan?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Propajondhi wrote:I will absolutely look into it. I am really focused on good control of cleans. I am venturing out of my usual comfort zone to try something totally different. So as long as i can pull good leads for solos with high gain that will work, but how is the clean chan?
Check out YouTube and numerous reviews , clean channel based on Rv series so arguably the best clean channel in Orange line up , it's warm, 3d, loud it will start to overdrive but still decent clean headroom.

Maybe even a second hand Rv50 .... although no idea what price these are in the USA ...

I imagine both channels will sound quite different to what your use to.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Propajondhi

Post by Propajondhi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Cheers! That's the idea, to get away from prog metal, I am going for a more retro kinda sound. Little bit of Clann Zu mixed with Nick Cave and Queens of the stone age. It is going to be so different from prog metal and I am thinking that a simplified amp will open my sound range through a massive pedal board. Your input is invaluable, thank you kindly.

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:19 pm

The TH30 and a tube screamer is nice 8) I have a Maxon OD808, and a TH30. I could not live without either.

Propajondhi

Post by Propajondhi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Sweet, my pedal board consist of a Boss Noise gate, a DD-7, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and a Electro Reverb. Going to be extending that collection as well, I went the route of the Fractal Axe FX and sold that as well, way too much nonsense for me since I don't tour and hated setting up everything according to our ADD singers set lists. I am going to aim for having fun this time, last project was too much riff writing and I enjoy a good jam session when it comes to writing. I was looking at the CR 120H and a 4x12 cab for now so that my project can get started writing, and then upgrading to a Tube amp later on. Also want to put my V30s in the orange cab. Thoughts?

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:00 am

Propajondhi wrote:Sweet, my pedal board consist of a Boss Noise gate, a DD-7, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and a Electro Reverb. Going to be extending that collection as well, I went the route of the Fractal Axe FX and sold that as well, way too much nonsense for me since I don't tour and hated setting up everything according to our ADD singers set lists. I am going to aim for having fun this time, last project was too much riff writing and I enjoy a good jam session when it comes to writing. I was looking at the CR 120H and a 4x12 cab for now so that my project can get started writing, and then upgrading to a Tube amp later on. Also want to put my V30s in the orange cab. Thoughts?
Hey man. I have the CR120h. Don't worry too much about upgrading to a tube amp later on, this thing is all you'll need for awhile. Sounds fantastic live or in the studio. I've had it for about a year now. Check out any of the other CR120 posts, people rave about it.

About the cab tho. Don't bother getting v30s. The PPC412 comes with v30s (lol) and the CRPRO412 (the compact cab that is cheaper) is both voiced for the CR120 and has knock-off V30s that sound exactly like the real thing. So not worth getting other speakers.

Good luck!

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:30 am

I would def shop around on the used market and also consider a 212 orange cab vs a 412 as well. They are plenty loud and amazing!

I can't speak for a TH30 but the Rockerverbs are great I am also quite fond of the OR100. The RVs should be pretty easy to score used within your price range with a cab. Hope that helps
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 am

I would definitely try to find an open back 2x12. They sound great and made in China - so works in your budget.

I also would want to know your definition of "clean". If it were me, I'd be trying to find a used RV50 if you need clean clean. If a little hair is okay I'd look for an OR15 (a very under appreciated amp) or, preferably, an OR50 (IMO the best current amp Orange makes). Whichever amp I got, I'd get that open back 2x12 with it.

Good luck!
Greg

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 am

As far as the rockerverbs or rv series is concerned they are fantastic. I have a rockerverb 100 mk1 and its the best head i have ever used it goes from buetiful deep cleans to classic rock to modern metal with ease. If your looking for a rockerverb 50 i would stay away from the mk1 as it is the only rockerverb to ever use 6v6 tubes instead of el34 and thier power sections tended to fail prematurely, the mk2 and mk3 rv50s have el34s and so do all the rv100s and are very robust. If the rv series is out of your price range but you want that sound then look at the jim root terror as it is based of the rv and like 1/4 the price
2007 Rockerverb 100
2012 PPC412 USA
Tiny Terror Combo
Micro Terror

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:42 pm

Frosty wrote:If your looking for a rockerverb 50 i would stay away from the mk1 as it is the only rockerverb to ever use 6v6 tubes instead of el34 and thier power sections tended to fail prematurely
My 12 year old RV50 MK1 says - WTF are you talking about??? Is this some kind of urban legend or just hate for 6V6 power sections? I've never heard of this before - not even a whiff, what gives?
Greg

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:34 pm

Yep I'd also recommend the 2x12 OB as well, built like a tank, sounds great and you can still lift it by yourself.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Propajondhi

Post by Propajondhi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Thank you guys so much for the Info, I was thinking about the 2x12 since I am not doing metal anymore and it seems a bit more logical. I can't thank you guys enough. I will up date you guys when I get my rig.

Propajondhi

Post by Propajondhi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Any recommendations for custom built pedal boards?