Problem with a PPC108 speaker cabinet...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Martin Maniac

Problem with a PPC108 speaker cabinet...

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:31 am

I bought a used PPC108 cabinet off ebay...hooked it up to my Micro Dark amp and it sounded horrible. I determined the speaker must be blown as the amp sounds great thru headphones and a Bose speaker cabinet I tried. The seller posted a picture of the speaker on the ebay page, which doesn't look like a Voice of the World speaker, it looks generic. Shouldn't there be a Voice of the World label on the speaker ??

Either or, I'm sending the speaker cabinet back.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Problem with a PPC108 speaker cabinet...

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 am

I think it should have an Orange label on the speaker.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:04 pm

I don't think the PPC108 is a good sounding cab to start with. Headphones should sound decent as the output is modelled after a PPC412. I would take it to a nearby shop and compare it with another one.

I believe the Orange VOTW speakers at least say Orange on them. Could be that he blew the speaker and replaced it with something worse, or perhaps even better. Also check the wiring to make sure everything looks good. If the speaker was replaced perhaps it was wired incorrectly. It is only two wires, but you never know.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm not going to mess with it. I shipped it right back to him, and let him deal with it. I'm expecting a full refund because it's a defective unit.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Stock speaker on the right

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks for the pic...I was right, it's not a stock speaker in that cabinet...I don't know what it is but it sounds like it's been fried. I shipped it back to the seller this morning, and he was very civil about it and has promised a full refund after he gets the cabinet back.

I tried using the Micro Dark amp thru headphones and a Bose speaker cabinet I have and it sounded awesome.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Like BoyNarf said, it's not s great sounding cab. More of a gimmick in my mind. Looks 'cute'. I played first played the micro terror through the 108 and then the 112 back to back. Huge difference. I thought the micro terror was just a joke before putting it through the 112. Sounded more like an Orange Tiny Terror with the bigger speaker.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Jondog wrote:Like BoyNarf said, it's not s great sounding cab. More of a gimmick in my mind. Looks 'cute'. I played first played the micro terror through the 108 and then the 112 back to back. Huge difference. I thought the micro terror was just a joke before putting it through the 112. Sounded more like an Orange Tiny Terror with the bigger speaker.

Well I found a Marshall MHZ112A 12" speaker cabinet loaded with a Celestion G12T-75 speaker. It should be here within a week. It should sound awesome with the Micro Dark amp. I believe the Orange PPC112 cabinet also has a Celestion speaker in it.

I would have kept the PPC108 if it sound okay, but it was just too far gone. The cabinet was in nice shape, but the speaker was trash.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:46 pm

Jondog wrote:Stock speaker on the right
not meaning to highjack this thread but how do you like that 8 inch celestion compared to the 8 inch VOTW speaker?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Martin Maniac wrote:
Jondog wrote:Like BoyNarf said, it's not s great sounding cab. More of a gimmick in my mind. Looks 'cute'. I played first played the micro terror through the 108 and then the 112 back to back. Huge difference. I thought the micro terror was just a joke before putting it through the 112. Sounded more like an Orange Tiny Terror with the bigger speaker.

Well I found a Marshall MHZ112A 12" speaker cabinet loaded with a Celestion G12T-75 speaker. It should be here within a week. It should sound awesome with the Micro Dark amp. I believe the Orange PPC112 cabinet also has a Celestion speaker in it.

I would have kept the PPC108 if it sound okay, but it was just too far gone. The cabinet was in nice shape, but the speaker was trash.

Beside the Celestion name, the g12t75 and V30 speakers have very little in common.
The G12t75 sounds mid scooped a bit, has very tight low end, and a pretty sizzling high end. The V30 next to it sounds much thicker, smoother, but also a bit more woolly too.

Both are very good speakers, but very different - using one or the other would make you believe youbhave 2 different amps.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 pm

Yea...

Kind of like me playing a TT for a decade then getting a MT hoping it would sound just as good. Sold it real quick.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Well I'm just putting this rig together for practicing at home. It should be adequate I think. The simplicity of the Micro Dark amp is what intrigues me. You can dial in a great sound in no time. The PPC108 with a stock speaker would probably been enough for me, but I've read soooo many comments about how much better the MD sounds thru a 12" speaker,,,I had to get one. I got the Marshall/Celestion for a very good price, and saved quite a bit compared to a PPC112. So I should be happy with what I end up with.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:28 am

Martin Maniac wrote:Well I'm just putting this rig together for practicing at home. It should be adequate I think. The simplicity of the Micro Dark amp is what intrigues me. You can dial in a great sound in no time. The PPC108 with a stock speaker would probably been enough for me, but I've read soooo many comments about how much better the MD sounds thru a 12" speaker,,,I had to get one. I got the Marshall/Celestion for a very good price, and saved quite a bit compared to a PPC112. So I should be happy with what I end up with.
i am actually playing my micro dark through an epiphone valve junior 1x12 cab with the eminence lady luck speaker and it sounds great i think. i also have a 4x12 with celestion G12K-85's and the micro dark sounds great through that as well. you should be happy with that marshall i would think as well.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:41 am

caldurham wrote:
Martin Maniac wrote:Well I'm just putting this rig together for practicing at home. It should be adequate I think. The simplicity of the Micro Dark amp is what intrigues me. You can dial in a great sound in no time. The PPC108 with a stock speaker would probably been enough for me, but I've read soooo many comments about how much better the MD sounds thru a 12" speaker,,,I had to get one. I got the Marshall/Celestion for a very good price, and saved quite a bit compared to a PPC112. So I should be happy with what I end up with.
i am actually playing my micro dark through an epiphone valve junior 1x12 cab with the eminence lady luck speaker and it sounds great i think. i also have a 4x12 with celestion G12K-85's and the micro dark sounds great through that as well. you should be happy with that marshall i would think as well.

Actually I'll be delighted with this setup. I've listened to some audio demo's of the Celestion G12T-75 and am satisfied with it's sound. The Marshall is scheduled for delivery on Friday. I usually play acoustic guitar and have a great setup for that. I play out twice a week at the local senior centers. Playing electric guitar is just a hobby for me, I'd like to learn a bunch of Led Zepplin riffs just for fun and for showing off.

FYI I checked online to see if I could find the speaker that was in the PPC108 and it was a cheap $10.00 dollar speaker that was put into the Orange cabinet...I sent it back and the seller has agreed to reimburse me. What a rotten trick.

Martin Maniac

Post by Martin Maniac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 am

Here's a pic of what was in the PPC108 cabinet, obviously not an Orange product. So guys, just be aware of what can happen out there if you're not careful. By all means, know your speakers !!!!