Jim Root vs Dark Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sterrell

Jim Root vs Dark Terror

Post by sterrell » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Hey guys,

First post on the forum. I'm currently using a Micro Dark through a PPC112 cab. I'm a big fan of it so far, but I feel like it leaves a little to be desired. Seems like its older brothers the Jim Root or Dark Terror would be up my alley. I find the micro dark to be a bit too bass heavy and you lose some clarity in that regard to palm mutes, etc. I love the sound of the Dark Terror, but I am wanting a 3 band eq. I know I could run an eq into the signal chain, but I tend to be a minimalist/purist.

With that said, I also really enjoy what I've heard out of the Jim Root Terror. What are your thoughts on each amp? I play a little bit of everything, but do play a good amount of metal. Seems like the Jim Root is a little bit more modern sounding, as it is based off of the Rockerverb.

Thanks guys!

shupe13
Tiny Terror

Re: Jim Root vs Dark Terror

Post by shupe13 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The Micro Terror and Dark Terror amps are awesome for what they are but I don't think the intent was to be a work rig so they're very limited. You'd get more headroom and versatility from a CR 35-120 than you would through a micro. The Micro Terrors sound killer through large cabs like the PPC 212 and 412! But again are limited. Try a larger cab and some pedals first. If you don't like that, get the new head and you'll already have the cab and pedals!
2015 Gibson LP Studio
2015 Gibson LPM
2015 Gibson LP Junior

Orange Crush CR60 Pro

Orange Amplification - My daily dose of vitamin C!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 pm

The dark terror has slightly more gain and 8s tighter than the #4 terror.

I'd recommend you to try the shape knob first. If you can get 9n with it, the dark terror is a great amp, though I think I'd prefer the #4 myself.

Also worth considering for similar money (2nd hand compared to new!!!) is the TH30. The dirty channel is the dark terror, but it offer a really great clean channel.

At 30w, it will have more low end too for your metal needs.(it does another more than just metak though !!!!)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Michelle911

Post by Michelle911 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:33 pm

I love the #4 over the Dark Terror... that part was an easy choice for me. I have a th30 too and run them in stereo, but during the time I was building my new board I found myself constantly plugging into the #4. (insert massive amounts of silly fangirl bs here)

hmm, the EQ you already get that... I'm pretty happy with a shape knob or a 3-band since I run 10-band EQs too (yeah... not exactly a purist lol).

the only other thoughts I have is the looks. the #4 looks awesome! different logo and pics only... oh and the stone sour logo is off the new ones ;)