Bax Bangeetar - just love it!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: Bax Bangeetar - just love it!

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Cool info Andy, thanks for posting!

I probably should sell off a few of the pedals I never play anymore to gather the funds, so it won't seem so expensive. Maybe this will encourage me to do that.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

vitja
Tiny Terror

Post by vitja » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:42 pm

Did anyone tried it with the Or120??? Im looking for a nice gain companion for my or120.
Usually I run it on max (gain) and the Master volume down (mod). I love the or120 fuzzy overdrive sound, but I need something to get more gain and balls - Think stoner / doom / sludge … And I need something for solos to!

Im a little disappointed how does or120 takes fuzz pedal and other dirt. I Was actually thinking to sell it and buy Ampeg V4 head (which takes fuzz pedal really great), but hell no! I love OR, I just need to find the right pedal to push it more.

Since it is very versatile I guess it would work good. But there is something about OR that doesn't take saturated signal well.

Can someone try it with OR and do a little review? If it works, then it is mine!

Cheers!

Vitja
73's OR120 w/master volume, 69 Orange - Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion G12H Blackbacks, Acoustic G100T, Ampeg V4 cab, early Marshall JCM 800 cab, Hohner Orgaphon 41, 73 Ibanez Les Paul Custom, Gibson Blues Hawk, Ibanez John Scofield...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 pm

vitja wrote:Did anyone tried it with the Or120??? Im looking for a nice gain companion for my or120.
Usually I run it on max (gain) and the Master volume down (mod). I love the or120 fuzzy overdrive sound, but I need something to get more gain and balls - Think stoner / doom / sludge … And I need something for solos to!

Im a little disappointed how does or120 takes fuzz pedal and other dirt. I Was actually thinking to sell it and buy Ampeg V4 head (which takes fuzz pedal really great), but hell no! I love OR, I just need to find the right pedal to push it more.

Since it is very versatile I guess it would work good. But there is something about OR that doesn't take saturated signal well.

Can someone try it with OR and do a little review? If it works, then it is mine!

Cheers!

Vitja
Surprisingly I hadn't tried it with my OR120M. Now sorted, I got both the amp and my Hotplate attenuator nice and hot today. Yeah, it'll work fine for you - promise! :D

Again though, as in my big review on p.1, a serious warning. Because the signal levels the BBg can put out are pretty hefty you will need to take care to avoid any nasty 'Back to the Future' moments. If you are already running the OR120 gain at max with lower MV settings then you should be relatively safe from major volume jumps when you shift either the gain or volume controls on the BBg. You'll easily get plenty more gain from the BBg without much change in volume. You can also easily dial it in to either maintain the same tonality or to change it at will.

But at anything less than maximum front end amp gain you will need to be careful. It is as well to warn you again about that. Especially with an incredibly powerful amp like the OR and especially if you ever run it on lower gain / higher MV settings the volume jumps from just one click on either the BBg gain or output volume pots can be big. More than a couple of clicks and you might suddenly find the amp roaring at or near maximum volume - you have been warned!

I see you are using a P90 Gibson, so I tried it with my twin soapbar Junior Special and found the OR / BBg combination worked way better with higher gain settings than I expected compared to using most other amps. Normally I'd say soapbars are great for everything except really high gain, but here they worked fine for me. And as already mentioned the EQ is so versatile - especially in the all important mids - that you'll have no problems at all dialling in anything you want including your doomy stoner sludge. It'll work a treat for that.

Not sure about for solos though. Normally I'd suggest a clean boost like the MXR Micro Amp, but with the amp gain already maxed you'll simply not notice the difference at all. Perhaps the Micro Amp + version with added treble and bass EQ might do it. (Or an ordinary graphic EQ pedal like the excellent MXR 6 band one!) From my own range of weapons I found the EH Bass Soul Food helped. It can add some gain (pointless here) but it can also shift the tonality just enough to cut through some more. People call it a 'transparent' drive but I'd disagree - I'd say it definitely adds something nice and punchy to the mids too. I normally use it for alternative more punch through tonalities for rockier bass parts, but it works well for guitar too.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

vitja
Tiny Terror

Post by vitja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanx Andy! :D
73's OR120 w/master volume, 69 Orange - Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion G12H Blackbacks, Acoustic G100T, Ampeg V4 cab, early Marshall JCM 800 cab, Hohner Orgaphon 41, 73 Ibanez Les Paul Custom, Gibson Blues Hawk, Ibanez John Scofield...

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:54 pm

got a couple things listed for sale and when sold i'll finally get one of these. paired with a nice DI it will be my poor man's OR120 for gigs till i save up enough for a OR120 and OBC115 again.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Very good. You'll love the thing - Alex is right, it is brilliant for bass. Also the way it works gives you a real amp feel. It is a real amp I'd say, just not particularly loud on it's own. Given some grunt though, well the world's your pearly thing. :mrgreen:

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:56 pm

hey andy do you think the BAX has enough juice to be used with a power amp? i'm thinking now of just getting a tube power amp and the BAX, poor man's Orange :)
1969 Fender Jazz Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:52 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:hey andy do you think the BAX has enough juice to be used with a power amp? i'm thinking now of just getting a tube power amp and the BAX, poor man's Orange :)
Easily! You might even need to attenuate it's output...

Andy.

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:58 pm

Andy you are the man! Thanks. I was gonna get the terror bass, but figured i'd just be bypassing the Preamp and running the BAX into the effects return so it would be easier and cheaper and more tube if i get a Carvin TS-100 or T100 (EL34 100 watt tube power amp) and roll with that.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Almost pulled the trigger on a Two Stroke (looks like it's avalable in Spain, http://www.txirula.com/Orange/Booster/O ... Stroke.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

But reading al your comments and especially Andy's review made me take a step back and rethink.

I mean, the TS looks like a great pedal but Bax looks like it could be THE Pedal for every Orange enthusiast.
The only downside is the price.

I have a gut feeling that it would be a perfect partner for my TH30, now I only have to get totally loco to spend that amount on a "pedal".

Awesome review by the way, thanks Andy.
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Stu Cazz wrote:Almost pulled the trigger on a Two Stroke (looks like it's avalable in Spain, http://www.txirula.com/Orange/Booster/O ... Stroke.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

But reading al your comments and especially Andy's review made me take a step back and rethink.

I mean, the TS looks like a great pedal but Bax looks like it could be THE Pedal for every Orange enthusiast.
The only downside is the price.

I have a gut feeling that it would be a perfect partner for my TH30, now I only have to get totally loco to spend that amount on a "pedal".

Awesome review by the way, thanks Andy.
Thanks, and just bite the bullet and do it before they all vanish. I haven't had any hate mail from anyone who did, don't expect any either...

Andy.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 am

WELL....I bit the bullet and ordered a BAX today...and I plan to get a two stroke too....I am forging on with my OR120 and pedals as I have not had much luck with finding a combination that I love but I think the bax and the two stroke have promise....

I feel like I got a great deal on the Bax or I would have put it off longer....I hope I like it..I am sure I will

I have recently had GREAT luck with a stomp under foot serenity overdrive in front of the OR120....great results actually and it is going to stay on my board for awhile I think right next to my colorsound clone from John Mcneese (this pedal is amazing when I can get the amp volume up on the amp more)....for the serenity, I like to use it to get crunchy and lower gain old school hard rock tones...think early Pentagramish...sorta...not really but kinda.. :lol: not as chimey a darker version ....turn up the volume knob and it will pull over heavier or more saturated too but still sounds old school...I like it....ran with the colorsound I can get a lot of good things going on.

Note: the serenity adds bass to the signal...I like it though, some may not. It is not as mid heavy like a tubescreamer and doesn't color the tone a whole lot other than the bass..but it is not flubby...and it stays clear at all gain settings and seems to be very dynamic, it cleans up well...it is not a tubescreamer even though it has similar controls.

But I got to try this bax out and I may still try an oxford, monarch, out as well, but would rather have the bax instead of those....

I will let you all know when it arrives....mine is black, didn't have a choice at the great price point I got it at...like the white too though
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:54 am

ironlung40 wrote:WELL....I bit the bullet and ordered a BAX today...and I plan to get a two stroke too....I am forging on with my OR120 and pedals as I have not had much luck with finding a combination that I love but I think the bax and the two stroke have promise....

I feel like I got a great deal on the Bax or I would have put it off longer....I hope I like it..I am sure I will

I have recently had GREAT luck with a stomp under foot serenity overdrive in front of the OR120....great results actually and it is going to stay on my board for awhile I think right next to my colorsound clone from John Mcneese (this pedal is amazing when I can get the amp volume up on the amp more)....for the serenity, I like to use it to get crunchy and lower gain old school hard rock tones...think early Pentagramish...sorta...not really but kinda.. :lol: not as chimey a darker version ....turn up the volume knob and it will pull over heavier or more saturated too but still sounds old school...I like it....ran with the colorsound I can get a lot of good things going on.

Note: the serenity adds bass to the signal...I like it though, some may not. It is not as mid heavy like a tubescreamer and doesn't color the tone a whole lot other than the bass..but it is not flubby...and it stays clear at all gain settings and seems to be very dynamic, it cleans up well...it is not a tubescreamer even though it has similar controls.

But I got to try this bax out and I may still try an oxford, monarch, out as well, but would rather have the bax instead of those....

I will let you all know when it arrives....mine is black, didn't have a choice at the great price point I got it at...like the white too though
Great, man! You're gonna love it. :D I also plan to get me a two stroke. I believe it's a great pedal.

You got a great deal on the Bax, you said. How come? Sell out?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 am

Hey man,

I got a great deal on the Bax as it was a store returned item and the store sold it for reduced rate...it is supposed to have all the paperwork though...not sure if the warranty will be valid, but shouldn't be an issue either way most likely.

I can't wait to get it.

Do you know what the 2 stroke list price is going to be?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 am

ironlung40 wrote:Do you know what the 2 stroke list price is going to be?
Thomann sells it for 158€ which is approximately 40% of the Bax's price here in Sweden.

http://www.thomann.de/se/orange_two_stroke_boost_eq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...