NAD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

NAD

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, kind off. I decided to see what all the hype is about, and got me a Kemper Powered Head. So far, very impressed. It sounds killer with the right profiles, be it through my studio monitors or my Orange PPC212 (despite some people saying it works best with FRFR and stuff). Some of the Orange Rockerverb and Jim Root profiles that came stock sound amazing. I have a rehearsal tonight, and will take the KPA for a true test in the studio using some 412s.

Super light, convenient and killer tones! It may be the honeymoon phase, but loving it so far. Can´t wait to profile my Rocker 30!

Cheers

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: NAD

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:48 am

Is it this bad boy?:

I am curious as to how they sound, but I have to think they've put a lot of time into making them good based the price. Let us know what you think of it.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:10 pm

From what I've read they sound amazing, accurately capturing amp tone and dynamics and pretty much as good as the real thing. But with one major limitation.

The profiles are just snapshots of amps at one particular setting. If you then change the gain and or tone settings on the profiler it won't react the same as your real amp does. Doesn't of course mean that you won't get useful variations in sounds, just that you shouldn't imagine profiles are virtual versions of the real amps. Plenty of snapshots of real ones though, and it also apparently lets you control things you couldn't on a real amp like compression characteristics, pick attack.

Should (within it's limitations) be pretty useful. Especially if you are the sort of person who knows exactly what they want sound-wise and wants to just get there at the press of a button. Don't see myself going that route for two major reasons. The price apart the fact that they won't react to changes in the way the real amps being profiled would is the deal breaker for me. The unique interplay of their controls is what makes different amps most interesting to me. I'm more a 'on the fly' tweaker sort of player, at least with guitar amps. I don't have 'stock sounds' as such, preferring to set the amp up from scratch each time. For bass I generally try to set up one good amp sound for the bass(es) I am using and then tweak that as needed from the bass / pedals. It would do that fine of course but then that would be a total waste of the other possibilities.

Anyway, you're not me and you have an amazing new box to play with. Enjoy! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Exactly that one.

It sounds amazing. I was actually concerned about the whole "snap shot" thing and limitations to tweak a profile. But, really, I haven´t felt the need to make major tweakings toa good profile once I found some that I like.

So far, I´ve selected six profiles that I am using most: a Bassman, Vox AC30, JCM 800, SL68, Friedman BE and JVM410HJS. Did not find an Orange Profile that I enjoyed, excpet for an AD 30 that was captured by Top Jimmy (there´s a very impressive video on Youtube).

I took it to rehearsal on Monday, and played through a 412, and really enhoyed the tone and feel. No need to go through major tweakings. It was a very quick set up, I just have to learn how all the volume controls (Master, Monitor, the ones in profiles etc) work and interact with each other. I am basically using as an amp with a lot of channels. I mean, I don´t tweak a lot of my amps neither: I find a sound that I like, and just adjust the volume for the given situation. I actually use the Rocker 30 as a one channel amp, adjusting the amount of gain with my guitar knob.

This is my first digital device (besides plugins). It is pricey, but a a very nice and light solution. I don´t see myself selling my amps (except for the Reeves, which has not been used for a long time now) anytime soon, though. So far, loving it!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals