Buy Tiny Terror or OR15?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

miguelyogur

Buy Tiny Terror or OR15?

Post by miguelyogur » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello this is my first post in the Forum.

I know that this question has been asked many times. Before posting I have read all the threads I found in this and other forums and seen all the videos that there are out there. So I am sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't see it.

I am trying to decide between a Tiny Terror and an OR15.

So what I am looking for in these heads is an amp for classic rock and blues rock tones. 60's and 70's style. I am aware that they are modern machines and won't give the tone of vintage oranges, but I want to select the one best suited for a more classic sound. I don't need versatility. If it also can do cleans they are welcome but not essential. If it can get me to the right levels of gain enough for playing Ramones and 70's punk rock that would be a plus too but also not essential. More helpful to me than the cleans though. By enough gain I don't mean to give me the sound of a marshall superlead through a 4x12, but to be stylistically compatible without being too scooped or modern sounding.

In my situation it will have to be 15watt and I have further discarded the jim root and dark terror since it seems that there is a pretty generalized opinion about being very modern sounding and more suitable for high gain styles.

I am searching for that tone and so if that means tiny terror without loop effects and 3-way EQ then let be it. However if bot can do the classic rock thing equally well I would probably prefer an OR15 for the added EQ, loop, and extra gain, but again, I am not looking for versatility, volume portability or any other thing.

Could you help me please?

Sid Nitzerglobin

Re: Buy Tiny Terror or OR15?

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:43 pm

I've never owned a TT but have played several, I've had my OR15 for a couple years and have no regrets w/ it. I found it much more suited to '70s hard/classic rock sounds than the TTs have seemed to be. I wound up swapping the stock 12AX7s for JAN Phillips 5751s the weekend I got it and pretty much never get above noon on the gain knob. It's got one of the coolest crunch sounds I've heard outside of a nice Vox, can do high gain if you want to (although not exactly modern mid focused more like stoner/doom chug), and has surprisingly nice saturated clean sound IMO.

The only complaint I've had w/ mine is that it doesn't have quite enough volume to keep up w/ my drummer for hard, high energy playing when it's dialed in for "clean". There's a bit of volume to spare once you get the gain up past ~10 o'clock but you're getting into into crunch at that point.

TTs are still great amps but I just find the OR15 seems more suited to copping a retro sound. YMMV though so I highly recommend finding somewhere w/ both in stock, bringing a guitar you're familiar w/, and A/Bing them for yourself if at all possible.
Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:52 pm

I am quite fond of the Tiny Terror for 1970's rock tones, though it isn't terribly versatile. I don't need versatility or features in a 15-watt amp, so I think it is perfect.

I haven't owned an OR15, but my first impression when I tried one was that it has TONS of gain on tap, and it didn't sound nearly as "vintage" as I expected. I thought it would be a miniature version of my OR50, but it's more modern-sounding to me. Actually, the Tiny Terror is like a miniature OR50 though, so there was no point in Orange making another lunchbox with the exact same tone. You can tame the gain in the OR15 to some extent by putting lower-gain preamp tube types in it, so there's always that option.

miguelyogur

Post by miguelyogur » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 pm

Ok so I am a bit more confused now than two posts ago :-), this is in fact my experience in al the threads that I read. Both get about 50% of positive opinions for this kind of tone. I don't know what to do since I am not sure that I can try both.

Sid Nitzerglobin

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 pm

That's kinda been my experience too (~half the people think TT is better for retro sounds, ~half OR15). People use stuff in different ways and have different concepts of a "sound" which is why I can seldom bring myself to buy an amp I haven't tried w/ my own guitar (and generally bring a boost I know along too).

I will say that stock to stock, I still feel like the OR15 does retro better to me, I find it to have more dynamic range and be more flexible in sound, and the 3 band tone stack and loop have been very useful. You do pay for them though and it will go to ludicrous fuzzy gain land if you take it there.

The TT still has more gain than I'll ever need and seems more compressed and slightly pinched and metallic to me when dialed in as best I've been able to.

YMMV, .02, etc.

On the upside, initial depreciation seems about a wash on the 2 from what I've seen if you ever found it was time to move on.

What cab are you planning to use?
Orange Gear
Amps - OR50, Micro Terror, OB1-500
Cabs - PPC212 (G12H 55Hz & G12 Gold), 2 PPC108, OBC115
Pedals - Two Stroke

miguelyogur

Post by miguelyogur » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 pm

For the moment I will use it for recording reamping via a PDI-03 if I do it at home and renting some cab and studio space if I really want to mic it, so that won't be a problem and can vary according to circumstance . I may also use it for rehearsal or playing with band with whatever backline is provided. Until now when want to bring one of my amps I just plug my Deluxe or Champ heads into whatever has the right impedance and watt rating, some times even combos unplugged from the amp, and it always has sounded good to me or at least OK. I am more picky for the recording part and I would like to get the classic rock tone as close as possible with a low watt head, therefore the dilemma. I am not considering more powerful heads because I wouldn't be able to play them wide open as easily. In the future I am getting a plexi 18w so I don't really need the versatility and I am looking for the orange flavour.

thanks for the answers, I could do with some more opinions from more people with knowledge of both amps.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:01 am

I have both. I'd go OR15 in your case.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:13 am

miguelyogur wrote:Ok so I am a bit more confused now than two posts ago :-), this is in fact my experience in al the threads that I read. Both get about 50% of positive opinions for this kind of tone. I don't know what to do since I am not sure that I can try both.
I don't know if it'll help any but maybe part of the confusion is the difference between 'vintage' sounding amps and 'vintage Orange amps'.

Vintage Oranges sounded very different from what most people would normally think of as 'vintage' sounding. Having said that I don't think that either of those amps are particularly 'vintage Orange' sounding. Great sounding, yes, but without the aggressive bad attitude of the old Oranges.

As is usually the case you are probably just going to have to try both yourself to decide. I'd have thought either amp would do classic '70s sounds no problem at all, though I suspect I'd lean towards the OR15 myself. Not about me though, you need to work out which one will work better for you...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:38 am

miguelyogur wrote:Ok so I am a bit more confused now than two posts ago :-), this is in fact my experience in al the threads that I read. Both get about 50% of positive opinions for this kind of tone. I don't know what to do since I am not sure that I can try both.
But is n't that because both cover this tonal spectrum well ? in other words, choose either you cant go wrong .... an Or should give you more versatility with the effects loop but a TT is more portable.

Maybe you just need to decide if you need an effects loop or not?

Also don't be mistaken in thinking that these are quiet amps .....they are not! they can keep up with a drummer (sometimes!).

Me, I'd choose a TT HW (if you can find one - not versatile but sounds awesrome)
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

I bought an OR15 but tried the TT as well. Both cover the OP's requirements very well. I felt the TT sounded a little "tighter" and had a sharper attack. Neither will stay clean at higher volumes but both can go all the way up into utter filth. I will freely admit that part of my personal choice was because the OR15 looked like a "proper" amp!

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm with Ronnie...Tiny Terror Hard wired is an awesome amp.
And you can always buy or build a head case for it if you don't dig the lunchbox look. Hard to find but they do pop up on eBay from time to time.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

miguelyogur

Post by miguelyogur » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 pm

So after some research Tiny Terror hand wired will not be an option for me. So if a regular TT vs an OR15 is the only decission those who were favouring the TT HW with respecto to the OR15 would change their advise? It seems that between these two options the OR15 is getting better reviews for my particular needs.

Btw thanks a lot for the comments I am getting a lot of feedback about what to look for if finally I am able to try both.

callmesnake

Post by callmesnake » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm

miguelyogur wrote:So after some research Tiny Terror hand wired will not be an option for me. So if a regular TT vs an OR15 is the only decission those who were favouring the TT HW with respecto to the OR15 would change their advise? It seems that between these two options the OR15 is getting better reviews for my particular needs.

Btw thanks a lot for the comments I am getting a lot of feedback about what to look for if finally I am able to try both.
I'd go OR15. I was in the same position as you, but felt the OR to have more flexibility - just in case I need it. Amazed when I tried one in person. So much character and presence, and volume!
Will Hessey - "Wave Goodbye" streaming here -
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2cVP0CIcYwxdzutJSbnCOO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/willhesseymusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instagram - @will_hessey

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:02 am

Heres the thing..... your out for a specific tone and you really need to do your homework if your not going to be able to try before you buy (which is ALWAYS the best option). Everyone is going to have differing opinions on which has "what" classic sound, as you may of noticed. Reading is not going to help, unless you have specific questions on build quality, loop or no loop, functionality and so on. So you-tube is your best bet here.

Gear videos will help you and by listening too a lot of them you should be able to figure out which is right for you. But of course the best option is always taking your gear down to the local music shop and taking the amps out for a test drive, if possible.

Keep us updated and happy hunting :D
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

marshallartist

Post by marshallartist » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:20 pm

I recently went through the same dilemma and wound up with the TT head and closed back 212 cab. I went to my LGS and auditioned both of these amps over a period of weeks with various cabs as well as the TT 1X12 combo and decided this was the best setup for me. I play blues rock, classic rock and even delve into a bit of hard rock as well, both of these amps deliver what I need. The OR15 is a bit more flexible and effects friendly but I'm not looking for either of those so I opted for the cheaper of the two. The gain on it gets reasonably saturated and can cover anything from the 70's with ease. It takes pedals well and with a boost/OD pedal in front of it you can also get heavier. With my Boss/Keeley DS-1 diving the front end those chuga, chuga rhythms (If that's your thing, it's not mine) are easily achievable.

The TT has a very mid-heavy sound so no worries about sounding "too scooped". Of course I'm running two Celestion V30's (notoriously mid-heavy speakers) in a closed back cab (pile on more mids). Comparing it with the SuperLead (as you might have guessed by my username I use to be a Marshall guy) I think it has a brighter sound than the TT so you're not going to get "that" sound but turning the tone control up to about 2:00 gives some very usable Marshall-esqe tones. To my ears the OR15 does not do this as well but YMMV.

Cleans on this amp are decent. I would describe it as a something akin to the Peavey Classic 30 or maybe more like the Vox AC15. It's usable at low to mid volume but don't expect anything like a Fender Blackface. With my Tele plugged in I've found some sounds that remind me of Brad Paisley's heavier sounds.

Hope this helps.