Major doubt relating (possible) major gear change

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Major doubt relating (possible) major gear change

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Currently I own three tube amps: Rocker 30, Fargen mini Plexi mkII and Reeves Custom 10HG. I use them with an Orange PPC212ob and some pedals, and love the tones I get. But it seems that each of them has some flaws that I would really like to fix... For instance, the Rocker 30 has no FX loop, the Reeves is not loud enough for some gigs. So far, I´ve been using the Fargen for some small gigs and playing around at home, but would really like some more power out of it. So, I tried to trade it for a Fargen Olde 800 combo, which is basically the same thing but with more wattage (50 watts) and the convenience of being a combo.

However, I just got an offer to sell it, and with the money I could either buy (along with some more cash) the Olde 800 or an Axe FX II XL...

At least on paper, the Axe Fx seems very nice, with great "tube tone" and pretty much every amp that I would ever be able to play modeled in a single unit (no need to carry around a head, a 212 cab, pedalboards and all the cables that come with it).

I have always been relunctant with digital stuff, but, to be fair, I´ve never really tried any high end stuff.

I am very tempted at letting the Fargen go (although I really like it), to get the Axe FX and give it a try, but to keep my other two heads for whenever I feel like plugging into the "real thing" (no FX loop on them, however).

Has anyone here have real experience with the Axe FX? If so, how do you like it?

Cheers!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Major doubt relating (possible) major gear change

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Hey,

Remember you will have to start carrying around a power amp. Although, it could all fit quite nicely into a rack case. If you get a decent quality tube power amp, it will be much more convincing than going full solid state. Unless you are planning to run direct into the board

:O

Lots of my favourite bands use AxeFX. In all honesty, I would probably use one if I was touring the world. Locally however, I like to have my tube amps.

Lack of effects loop on those amps shouldn't be a huge issue. When I switched from my RV100 to my R30 I started running everything direct into the front of the amp. I love how it sounds. As long as you have pedals that have presets, or expression pedal inputs, you can easily set-up one delay/verb for clean, and another one for dirty. I never use delay or verb on my dirty channel so it's just a matter of turning it on and off for me.

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Post by orangebassman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:01 pm

My guitarist went from a tube amp, to an Axe FX, back to a tube amp.

Axe FX's are probably great if you are a touring musician and have the PA to support it, as well as the time to really dial in the sound at each show, but what he found was it took to long to isolate the problem when a problem occurred, and since he used it as an amp modulator and for his effects, if it went out our set was basically screwed. Also, he always said "yeah, it gets close, but it's no substitute for the real thing". With as many acts that use it, I would imagine us having a 10 minute set up time with a house sound guy mattered more than the unit itself.
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 am

Did you see this thread?
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54135
This thing looks incredible, and just what's needed if you want you amp's tone to be louder and with effects post-distortion. You can use it with any of your amps. Looks like there's a waiting list for one, though.

I say forget the AxeFX. It's fantastic technology, but IMO modeling isn't good enough yet. Plus, you have to build a PA style rig around it - a whole different level of expense.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:18 am

I'm surprised how many Axe FX's I see for sale in the classifieds. I'm calling that a bad sign.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Jondog wrote:I'm surprised how many Axe FX's I see for sale in the classifieds. I'm calling that a bad sign.
Cannot agree more.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Better to be sure than have major doubt too....

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Yeah, I find that some videos are pretty impressive, some amp models seem to sound extremely realistic. Mark Day's videos are awesome, in particular. And I was planning on using it as a head, with a power amp and a cabinet (and not mount a full PA rig).

To be honest, they do not come very often in classified down here in Brazil. On the contrary, they are kinda rare, and not that hard to resell, should I decide to go for it.

Aside from the fear to go digital, my top concern is how much I would have to tweak this damn thing to sound good. Last night I was watching some videos on how to program the foot controller, and that alone overwhelmed me. Since I had major problems with a G-System, who knows how (or if) I would bond with the Axe at all.

Anyway, the Fargen is going away today. The offer was too good to refuse. I'll keep using the Rocker 30 and the Reeves for now, and keep researching. Maybe go for the Fargen Olde 800 combo, or the Orange OR100 (damn, I whish this thing was lighter...).

Thanks a lot guys.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals