Would you buy an Orange scratch n dent?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Would you buy an Orange scratch n dent?

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:49 pm

....amp from an online music store, at a deeply discounted price? No warranty, but a 45 day money back guarantee (you would have to pay return shipping). From the pics it just looks like the corner protector is dented and there's a small pin head sized tear in the tolex.

Or go for one thats an open box return for a little more (still at a pretty reasonable discount) that comes with the warranty?

What exactly does the Orange warranty cover and do you have to ship the amp back to England to have it repaired? I know an excellent amp tech that would probably be cheaper than shipping a head somewhere.

I'm okay with a dent as long as the amp functions the way it should, no way of knowing without playing it, the price is tempting, but I'm sure return shipping on it wouldn't be cheap.

What would you do?
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Hogie34

Re: Would you buy an Orange scratch n dent?

Post by Hogie34 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:28 pm

I would go for the returned at a discount just because you get the warranty. Unless of course money is not an issue and you don't mind paying a tech to diagnose and repair.

As far as using the warranty, no, it stays in the U.S. To get worked on.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:35 pm

I suppose it depends how cheap and how much damage there is.

The warranty can be up to 2 years and covers just about everything except tubes and speakers (which is 3 months).
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 pm

If it's only cosmetic, who cares? Save the money. My cab and head are scratched and dented despite my best efforts.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:08 pm

If it's being sold new, it should have a warranty. If they say it doesn't have a warranty, then it isn't new. Somebody returned it for a reason I would think...

I'd go for the scratch and dent with warranty if it was me....

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah Billy, the scratch n dent one doesn't have the warranty, its almost half off, big dent in one of the corner protectors.

The other one, the "restock" (which is a couple hundred off the normal price), they say this:

"Restock products may have signs of use or other forms of cosmetic damage that do not affect playability or performance. They may also have worn or non-original packaging.
Restocks are factory authorized B stock or C stock that have been returned by retailers for a variety of reasons and have been reviewed, repaired, or repackaged by the manufacturer. Standards of quality vary from one manufacturer to another.

Restock Guarantees
In most cases Restock products are guaranteed by the manufacturer to function or play perfectly and are covered by a manufacturers warranty. Some manufacturers offer a warranty with a shorter duration than new products. Restocks are eligible for extended warranty Gold Coverage and are also covered by our Musicians Friend 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Order risk-free and take up to 45 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it."

Maybe I can try and call them and get more specifics on the restock, or the scratch n dent one.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:47 pm

That scratch and dent is essentially a 2nd hand amp.

Not too much wrong with it, but could you get a 2nd hand amp cheaper on ebay/Craigslist /Gumtree?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:15 am

If the scratch and dent is over half off and it is the amp you want I would go with it....over the one with warranty with only a couple hundred off....especially know you can return the amp if anything is wrong with it....and those protectors can be replaced for cheap

as for the warranty...it is rare that anything goes terribly wrong on these amps...and the tubes which are most usually the culprit only have a 3 month anyway....

I guess it depends if both amps are the same amp too....if so I would rather get say a $2000 dollar amp at $1000 with a dent than a restock at $1800 with a warranty that I will probably never need anyway....I guess I am a risk taker that likes to save a pile of cash....I also know a good tech if the need arises
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:46 am

In my experience the S&D is a steal, usually a customer return if from an online retailer
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com