New Cab Day Woo Hoo!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hogie34

New Cab Day Woo Hoo!!!

Post by Hogie34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:14 am

Well, I finally saved enough money to not have to make payments on one. I wanted a separate 212 for my Jim Root #4 but didn't want to go with a signature cab as well as a signature head. I'm not big on signature gear, but the ability to have a Rockerverb based, low wattage amp...well you get the picture. This baby arrived at 9:30 this morning and I just stopped playing through it long enough to take the picture. PPC212 in black to match the head sleeve I made for the #4 . I was playing the head through an old Carvin 4x12 that I've had since the mid 80's. It sounded dang good and was almost enough to keep me from buying an Orange cab...almost. Now to start saving for that TH100 and matching PPC412 I've been eye balling. Guess I need to start selling off my Marshalls since absolutely none of them get played since buying Orange :D

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: New Cab Day Woo Hoo!!!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:30 am

That's the way to do it!

Sure looks cool.

How's it sound compared to your old cab? (obviously the speakers aren't Broken in yet)
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Hogie34

Post by Hogie34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:49 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:That's the way to do it!

Sure looks cool.

How's it sound compared to your old cab? (obviously the speakers aren't Broken in yet)

You know, they were bad but not as bad as I thought they were gonna be. I'm a believer in the grill cloth that Orange uses. It is a big piece of the mojo with these cabs. It blocks out a lot of the crud in the vintage 30 that I don't like.

After about hour 3, it got a lot punchier. These Orange cabs are the best sounding cabs I've ever owned.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am

Hey, congrats! :D Really good choice buying a 212. And cool looking #4 in that sleeve. Enjoy!
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:34 am

Hogie34 wrote:

Sure looks cool.

You know, they were bad but not as bad as I thought they were gonna be. I'm a believer in the grill cloth that Orange uses. It is a big piece of the mojo with these cabs. It blocks out a lot of the crud in the vintage 30 that I don't like.

After about hour 3, it got a lot punchier. These Orange cabs are the best sounding cabs I've ever owned.
Grand, just think what they'll sound like after 100 hours
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:42 am

The JR in the sleeve looks wicked...and looks really good sat on top of the cab!
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Hogie34

Post by Hogie34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Hogie34 wrote:

Sure looks cool.

Grand, just think what they'll sound like after 100 hours

Yeah, it won't take me long to get to 100hrs on it . I don't understand the whole "Orange amps don't sound good with 12-75's" thing that I read so much of. That's what the Carvin cab was loaded with and man, it sounded good. These 30's definitely have a different bite to them but they sound dang good none the less.

Just a little personal opinion here now. I've been a Marshall guy for years. Have played nothing but since the late 80's. I really don't care that they farmed out the lower cost amps to Vietnam. What I do care about is their lack of attention to the customer base. We've been crying for more saturation etc and do they listen? No. They come out with another BS re-issue. I've never owned one that I didn't have to run a pedal in front of to get what I wanted.
Then last year I bought my first Orange head. Rockerverb MK II . I was amazed by the ability to just plug straight into the amp. So I bought an old cab off craigslist from 1970. Even better sound. Slowly been replacing my Marshall gear with a different model from Orange. I can't say enough good things about their amps and speakers cabs. I just wish I had taken the plunge earlier. Could have saved me a lot of money and frustration....ok, maybe the frustration part is accurate . Anyway, looking forward to acquiring more over the next few years. Th100 and a Dual Dark 50 are next and then I think I'm done for a while .

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Good story.... Once u start it can become quite addictive!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:Good story.... Once u start it can become quite addictive!
Agreed!

Also congrats! Nice looking pair you got there
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com