Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Foef
Orange Master

Re: Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Post by Foef » Sun May 31, 2015 11:54 am

I've been selling my mod pedals to fund the Strymon Mobius. I realized i was only using one mod effect at any given time so adding to the collection with the twelve modulation effects the Mobius provides was an easy decision to make. Funny thing is that the MXR analog chorus was not even half a year old. But the one in the Mobius beats it with flying colours. And i had this limited edition Suhr Riot which became obsolete after switching to dual channel amps. Sold that one too...
Oh well... I've been buying and selling gear all the time. Some regrets here and there... For example my red Marshall JCM800 2203 head and a Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ combo...
Next things on my list are the EWS Subtle Volume Control and the Fender Standard Tele HH.

That will keep me occupied for a while. That and programming the Mobius...
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 31, 2015 12:48 pm

Don't seem to do much parting, mostly acquiring I'm afraid. I also don't usually buy stuff with half an eye on the potential resale. I buy it to keep and use to give me more options. But...

Just grabbed another Tele Bert. Still massively enjoying your old Tokai and my 1st CV Squier. Now have a second CV. I'd kind of lusted after the '50s Butterscotch Blonde model to go with my '50s Vintage Blonde (white). Justified it by deciding to grab one and leave it set up for 9s. I usually use 10s on everything but have lately been enjoying the challenge of playing a friends guitar strung light. It really focusses you on being even more precise with left hand touch for both chording and bends.

Tried a couple, found and bought a clear winner. These CVs all seem to be 8+ out of 10 guitars, very consistent, very good. Don't like it quite as much as either of my first two Teles but that is mainly because this is one heavy beast. If people think pine is always light-weight they need to heft this baby which is noticeably heavier than my LP Junior Special. On my knee we aren't talking about neck dive, but body (or even knee) dive. That said it plays, sounds and looks great, and the more powerful Alnico 5 p/ups are better suited to lighter strings then the Alnico 3s in the white CV. (Squier now fit the A5s to both versions I see.) The A3s really benefitted from heavier strings, guitar was just too light in the lows with 9s. This one sounds great even with 9s though, and I've got the Tokai for real beef.

TBH though I did buy this Tele with half a mind on a potential future swap. If I spotted another as good but lighter than I'd sell this one. I really do prefer lighter instruments myself and this is the exact opposite! :lol:

There isn't too much more of my gear I'd seriously consider moving on. Sometimes think about it with my wee Mesa combo, but then I'll play it clean and that idea goes out the window again. Thought about selling my Blues Junior years back but then played the LP Jr. Special through it and fell in love with the combination.

Nope, I'm more likely to be space limited than anything else. (I'm pretty much there now!) :roll:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Sun May 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Ah dammit, this thread just has me hankering after more gear! Don't think I could justify another CV Tele just to have lighter strings Andy, although the squier strat I just parted with I just kept for learning songs that were in Eb (we play them in standard but it's a hassle to re-tune when learning a bunch of tunes) but I could easily see myself being tempted by the 60's CV Tele, it looks very nice. It's just as well there are no stores near here so I can't try out guitars often - I'd be bankrupt and divorced if there was!
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 31, 2015 10:27 pm

jasondunringill wrote:Don't think I could justify another CV Tele just to have lighter strings Andy...
Hey don't knock it. It worked for me - I'm still (happily) married! :D
but I could easily see myself being tempted by the 60's CV Tele, it looks very nice.
60s? You mean that CV Tele Custom? Yeah they are nice too.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

rich724

Post by rich724 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:56 pm

I used to play an Ibanez GB10 through my gigging years (70's-80's) and when I stopped gigging I traded it for a motorcycle. After the motorcycle phase left I was wanting another jazz box. Years later while vacationing in a northern Michigan town I stopped into a local music store and found an Ibanez GB12 for about $1000 less than what it was worth. It came home with me and was there when I started gigging again. As time went on there were some features I wanted to change but I wanted to keep that guitar stock as it was an anniversary edition. So it went up for sale and was bought by some guy that flew in from Brazil to my town to pick it up. It was a bit hard to part with as that guitar closed a chapter in my gigging history using the GB line. The good news is that I used that money to buy a Gretch 6120 Brian Setzer Nashville with money to spare.
Now I'm sorry that I sold a Fender Deville and looking to get another Fender amp to go with my Gretch.

Does it ever end? :lol:

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 pm

rich724 wrote:Does it ever end? :lol:
Nope.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 am

Bensnake wrote:
Nope.
+1
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

thejay wrote:
Bensnake wrote:
Nope.
+1

Ah ah!!!!

It really doesn't!!!!!

I've agreed a deal for an Orange AD30 combo, Mint looking, for less than 1/3 or retail price... Should pick it up tomorrow!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:
bclaire wrote:Oh man... so sorry to read this. What a beautiful guitar - well, glad to hear you made out well...

Yeah , it's bitter sweet. I didn't expect it to be such a nice guitar. it sits right between a tele and a les paul, such a good guitar.
But I had bought it to flip it and stuck to my gun. :(
On the plus side, now I know how good they are, i'm adding this to my regular ebay search. There will be another one at some point in my life, I'm sure.

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm currently wheeling and dealing to get a new guitar! .... But I'm not selling any. Just missed out on a Vigier but another les paul is currently in my sights!

Hopefully going to try it out Saturday - if it doesn't sell first!
Did you miss out on the Excalibur indus one that sold this weekend?I am
I love my vigier. That is an incredible guitar. I'm really lucky to have mine. Their necks are the best I have tried.
I call it a lifer - I cant see myself getting rid of it ever.
Yes I did, after being the highest bidder all week, never mind though it was a bit of a risk buying before trying, not something I would normally do and I never played a Vigier before. However should be going to see a LP later today.

It's only being in the lead at the last second that counts......

But That LP is plenty nice!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 pm

steamboat wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Beside steamboat who's just after owning all AD15s ever built and Billy who just buys everything to keep, what have you been selling?

It's always tough selling gear and wondering if your making the right choices. i agree with both sides. sometimes you have to move gear to get other gear you want. And sometimes it's good to just hold onto everything you have or can get your hands on. it's nice to have collections because you get to try so many different things out when your bored oh yea and smile every time you walk into the jam room surrounded by great gear! I'm also all about having back ups to all the gear that I do use on the regular. gear usually doesn't tell you when it's going to crap out so it's best to just be prepared with a back up while your main gear is being repaired. But I am in a bit of a pinch right now as I have found an amp that I badly want to have and there's no extra money right now so I'm probably going to be moving some gear right now. Since I do have 4 ad15's it's likely one of those will be sadly sold off. But this new amp will be used more often than a 4th ad15 so in the end it's a smart decision i'm thinking. It's tough though because the ad15's i use regularly are the least rare of them for obvious reasons. So it's hard for me to sell off the rarest one. And it's in such good condition that I don't want to turn it into a gigging amp and sell my current gigging ad15's. hmmmmm...so many ways to look at things...thats why In the end I try not to get rid of anything...no regrets that way...

I was literally never using my ad30TC head anymore since I also have an ad30 single channel, I like this version much more. so I sold the ad30TC to the other guitarist in the band about a month back. that helped replenish some funds from my custom shop indiglo blue gibson 335 that I bought 2 months ago. I'm a fender strat/tele guy so that has been a weird transition for me, i Like it but it just doesn't feel like home yet i'm still getting used to playing it. My strat will always be my main guitar but i've always wanted a 335 so I finally got one.

When i play my single channel ad30's I like the head and cab more than the combo so My AD30R will probably be the next to go to help fund another amp i'm after. This has been another hard choice to make. the combo is a tight much lighter package than the head and 2x12CB but I enjoy the added low end the cab gives me compared to a combo. but a combo disperses sound so well! It's very hard to decide what to do...So once again I try not to get rid of anything...no regrets that way...

Getting rid of my rockerverb MKII to fund a Rockerverb MKIII has also been on my mind alot lately...I'm not crazy about the new look of it but the switchable wattage and attenuater would probably make me use The rockerverb series amps more often. I use my MKII but not a lot mostly because of the wattage. I'm not a fan of external attenuaters or power soaks I feel they steal some of the mojo IMO....so going that route with the MKII is not an option for me personally.
Having an exact same back up is nice. I sure wouldn't mind doing that when I have the funds!

I have 4 untouchables:

RV50
AD15
Les Paul standard faded
vigier expert

All the rest can / will be replaced. I've recently come to the conclusion that my 1st guitar, a rare mij top if the line aria
pro II RS X80 will probably be replaced at some point. It's a great guitar, but I'm just not playing it. I've also toyed with the idea of replacing the on board distortion with a fuzz factory.... Part of the noisy beauty of the fuzz factory is in changing the bias setting and the others too.....
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Foef wrote:I've been selling my mod pedals to fund the Strymon Mobius. I realized i was only using one mod effect at any given time so adding to the collection with the twelve modulation effects the Mobius provides was an easy decision to make. Funny thing is that the MXR analog chorus was not even half a year old. But the one in the Mobius beats it with flying colours. And i had this limited edition Suhr Riot which became obsolete after switching to dual channel amps. Sold that one too...
Oh well... I've been buying and selling gear all the time. Some regrets here and there... For example my red Marshall JCM800 2203 head and a Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ combo...
Next things on my list are the EWS Subtle Volume Control and the Fender Standard Tele HH.

That will keep me occupied for a while. That and programming the Mobius...

The mods pedal against the single strymon sounds like a sound swap.
Ant

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

Ah ah!!!!

It really doesn't!!!!!

I've agreed a deal for an Orange AD30 combo, Mint looking, for less than 1/3 or retail price... Should pick it up tomorrow!!!!!
Ad30R or Twin Channel?
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Twin channel. The newer version too, with the new face plate and better transformers. I should even get the footswitch.

It sounds like almost too good a deal!!!!!
Ant

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Twin channel. The newer version too, with the new face plate and better transformers. I should even get the footswitch.

It sounds like almost too good a deal!!!!!

That's awesome. Congratulations. I'm really excited to get your feedback after you have it a while. Seeing as you have an ad15 that is obviously a single channel I want to see if you end up playing the ad15 more or the ad30tc...I'm not sure what it is but I favor the single channel ad amps so much more than the TC. You would think it would be a no brainer and get an amp with two channels but the tones the single produce are amazing. Over time I forced myself to get better at guitar volume rolls so that helped a lot getting over it only being 1 channel. For me my first ad amp was the ad30TC head but after the my purchase of my first ad single channel I never looked back. And it forced me to buy many more! I actually just sold my TC to my bandmate because I was never using it. I'm excited to hear what you think. Its not like I think the TC is bad in any way but there is something about the single channels that gets me. I would prefer the ad30tc combo over the ad30R though I must say, I was let down a bit with that purchase. Reverb was not what I was hoping for and the gain is not as aggressive as the rest of the ad series amps.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

DiabloS
Orange Master

Sad parting - and wheeling and dealing....

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: Ah ah!!!!

It really doesn't!!!!!

Nice score!! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it and how it compares to your AD15!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror