Weird Feedback

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jelly

Weird Feedback

Post by Jelly » Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 pm

So, earlier today I was playing around on my strat into my AD30 which was fully cranked on the gain and master. I switched over to my middle position which for some reason has sunken a small bit, and I got this really crazy sounding feed back, too be honest I love it because I like weird noises made by guitars. Any thoughts?

I uploaded what it sounds like on SoundCloud here https://soundcloud.com/cyberus-1/crazy-feedback
as a warning though, it is rather harsh feedback, but if you do listen to it, listen all the way through.

Picture of weird middle pickup

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Weird Feedback

Post by Thinline_slim » Sat May 30, 2015 11:25 pm

I had the same kind of sounds when I used higher gain, like you are, with a pickup that wasn't wax potted very well. I took on the task of potting it and it totally fixed the issue.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun May 31, 2015 12:36 am

Whatever has come loose is causing vibration which creates the feedback. Love the maple leaf decal!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun May 31, 2015 12:36 pm

Wow! House of pain :mrgreen:
Paul.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Sun May 31, 2015 1:45 pm

I wonder if the actual pickup simply came unscrewed from the mounting screws. It could be just rattling around in the guitar cavity.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jelly

Post by Jelly » Sun May 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:I wonder if the actual pickup simply came unscrewed from the mounting screws. It could be just rattling around in the guitar cavity.
I'm pretty sure that might be what's happening because when I turn the guitar upside down (pickup side down) the pole pieces pop-out just like in the neck pickup.

Danley
Tiny Terror

Post by Danley » Sun May 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Stupid Strat middle pickups, so many times I've had to choose between picking where it's uncomfortable, or potentially mashing the pickup into the body :lol: I set mine a bit lower than is ideal to prevent being in the situation you're in. If the screw no longer threads into the pickup base, you can try building it back up with glue/some other material.
Orange - AD5 , CR20ldx
Fender - Libra 4x12 , Champion 600 (Tweed Mod)
Vox - AC4C1
Jordan - Trouper J120
...But mostly play through a Macbook :P

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun May 31, 2015 5:19 pm

Personally, if I play a Strat these days it's the middle pickup I prefer...

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Poor old middle pickup on the strat does get a bit overlooked. I've always veered towards positions 1 and 5 with the odd foray in to the in between sounds but spent a bit of time recently playing with the middle pup and it sounds really nice. I'll still probably ignore it next gig though . . .
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Danley
Tiny Terror

Post by Danley » Sun May 31, 2015 6:18 pm

I like it in combination for some things, but I usually wind up looking to either the bridge pickup for the (typical) hotter output, or else prefer the neck for more lush, thick tone... Maybe someday I'll want to look at the hallway inbetween. The middle gets used for me more often on a fat strat, as a compromise for not having a brighter single sound, but not much on its own otherwise.
Orange - AD5 , CR20ldx
Fender - Libra 4x12 , Champion 600 (Tweed Mod)
Vox - AC4C1
Jordan - Trouper J120
...But mostly play through a Macbook :P

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun May 31, 2015 8:51 pm

You should just remove the middle pickup and put a sticker over the hole. How's that for weird feedback? :lol:

Jelly

Post by Jelly » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 am

Randy Bass wrote:You should just remove the middle pickup and put a sticker over the hole. How's that for weird feedback? :lol:
:lol: I wasn't necessarily complaining about it, but If I ever do pull it, I'll probably be doing that.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:32 am

Danley wrote:Stupid Strat middle pickups, so many times I've had to choose between picking where it's uncomfortable, or potentially mashing the pickup into the body :lol: I set mine a bit lower than is ideal to prevent being in the situation you're in. If the screw no longer threads into the pickup base, you can try building it back up with glue/some other material.
Is that one with staggered pole pieces? I have that problem with my '60s RI MIJ Strat - bits of fingernail flying in all directions. Learned to live with it though and the 7.5" board radius kind of demands the stagger.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Jelly, the pickup sounds like it's damaged. It's one thing for the pickup to come loose from the cover, but that wouldn't cause it to feed back like that. A loose metal cover can cause squealing, but not a plastic one. Perhaps whatever caused it to jump loose might have also loosened the magnets inside the pickup. Also, sometimes heat can make potting wax drip out and expose the microphonic tendency of a loosely wound coil. That's less likely, though.

Regarding middle pickup tone, all I have to say is Robin Trower used his middle pup most of the time. What a great tone...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:32 am

Randy Bass wrote:You should just remove the middle pickup and put a sticker over the hole. How's that for weird feedback? :lol:
Frankly?
It's pretty weird. :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute