Effects Loop Issue

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

matk01

Effects Loop Issue

Post by matk01 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Hello everyone. As of last week I recieved my new dark terror. I worked great as I ran it through its paces. However I noticed this week the effects loop hasn't been working right. I rarely use it, but I noticed when I'd plug in an effect and engage it, there would be no sound. I turned up the volume and gain and could barely hear sound.
I tried swapping different outlets, different cables, and even different power supplies for the pedal. Could this be the effects loop tube already going? I was also wondering, since I rarely use the effects loop. Will the head unit still be okay if I keep running it? For example, will the other tubes wear faster?
Just curious, thanks for any info, very much appreciated!
-Mk

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Effects Loop Issue

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:57 pm

What kind of pedal? Some pedals are just not meant to go through an effects loop - in fact, effects loops were really designed for rackmount type of effects. There are two signal levels; line level and instrument level (-10 line level and +4 instrument level), and if they don't match what the effects loop is, you won't have good results.

matk01

Post by matk01 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:04 am

I originally used a One Spot with Ehx Nano Small Stone and an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master. They did work through the effects loop. Then I tried again days after, no sound. I then swapped out the power supply for a single power wall unit, again didnt work.
-Mk

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:24 am

Valves can fail, even new ones. In fact that is the most likely time for weak ones to show up. Worth a try...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 am

Also worth making sure those pedals work in front of the amp too. Just to make sure one of the cable/pedal/psu isn't the cause of your problems.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

matk01

Post by matk01 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:25 pm

If I swap out that effects loop tube with the same type, will it need biased?
Also the effects do work in fron of the amp, good point.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 pm

No need to re-bias.

matk01

Post by matk01 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 am

Okay so I swapped it out with a fresh tube and same issues, still no sound. I noticed too there is a slight hum, also when I switch the head into bypass there is a pop. Could it be a different tube perhaps? I notice too the hum is slightly there when taken out of standby, turned on, no guitar plugged in.
I dont want to throw money at it and swap all new tubes. I've seen online that I could do the 'pencil test' for the tubes to check if there is any rattling/ping noise. The amp works fine otherwise. I'm considering leaving well alone and not using the effects loop.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:45 am

If you have changed the fx loop tube and still have an issue, and your amp is new, just make use of the warranty.

I know it's annoying, but it's probably the best thing to do.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 pm

Of your in the UK may just be a 2 week turnaround.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

matk01

Post by matk01 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm actually in the US. Using the warranty is the best way to go. I like this amp too much to return it. Rather it work right, no matter how long it takes. Thanks for the help guys!

matk01

Post by matk01 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 pm

So silly me. After emailing with Orange Support for my warranty, they sent me an email for some troubleshooting. I made such a rookie mistake and had the effects send and return jacks switched this whole time! Ahhh! I didn't even think to look and completely assumed the position for these jacks was universal on all amps. Ah well, live and learn!
But It's still allive!!! Love this amp!!!
:D :mrgreen:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Guess we've all done daft things now and again! :lol:

Good result anyway, that's the important thing.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:09 pm

:lol:
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Sunbane

Post by Sunbane » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am

I was browsing this thread earlier this morning while troubleshooting my DT. After I a pedal board rebuild I couldn't get any sound out of the amp if I plugged the loop in. I thought I had busted the tube, but it turns out my PSU was too anemic to drive the delay pedal along with everything else, so the delay pedal killed the signal. I thought I'd put this in here in case someone else has the same problem. After I put the delay box on its own PSU everything is rocking again. :D