Gigs....Highs and Lows...Compares well to playing Sport

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:38 am

What a frustrating Gig last night, I really enjoy playing the guitar but sometimes I question if its worth it , leaving home, travelling, lifting all the gear, waiting around and then playing to a crowd that seem indifferent....

Thankfully its not the Norm, in fact the Gig before was one our most memorable and enjoyable gigs,

but sometimes ........
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: Gigs....Highs and Lows...Compares well to playing Sport

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:17 am

Bleh, those will happen every now and then. Sometimes it's down to bad luck, but sometimes it's also a matter of booking a bad gig (one that just doesn't match up to the band's vibe).

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Your right it's very much like playing sports. I was a college baseball player and I was suprised how the range of emotions ups and downs was so similar with playing live music. But the next good one will remind you why you kee at it.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:09 pm

msmith4432 wrote:Your right it's very much like playing sports. I was a college baseball player and I was suprised how the range of emotions ups and downs was so similar with playing live music. But the next good one will remind you why you kee at it.
Yep, I'm sure your right! :D
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:37 pm

It's down to the venue for the most part. I played frequently at the same two downtown bars to indifferent crowds and only around one out of six shows was decent. We had to park a half mile away and wheel everything down the sidewalk and the pay was bad. Nearly every show we played at a club five miles away was good though, it paid well, it had a good sound man, and we could load at the back door.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:34 pm

...know the feeling. Some gigs are awesome, others not so!!...I always try focusing on the one guy really enjoying himself, here there are 2, one of which was a previous band-member :D :lol:
...what really hurts is when the crowd moves on.... we play regularly at a large club with 3 dance floors and some nights the disc-jockey wins....some nights we do....but it´s hard not folding for that that sinking feeling you get when you see the crowd slowly disintegrate :cry:
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Sports, ups and downs? Well, before I moved to Holland I used to do a lot of mountain climbing right enough. That was my main thing, that and the music!

I guess that the uncertainty is what keeps it fresh and interesting for me. Playing live can always be hit and miss, and yeah agreed, a lot of that is down to the venue. But even the best rehearsed bands playing all the right venues have less great nights, just like the best prepared athletes. At least we players aren't purely judged by a stop clock. And what is strange is that as a musician you can feel you didn't play so well but still get fantastic reactions, other times the opposite. I figured long ago that how everybody enjoyed the gig is way more important than playing that 'perfect' gig on your own terms. (And it is amazing what most people don't notice.) But sure, having both together gives the best kick of all.

I do a lot of jamming live and love that 'life on the edge' feel. Sometimes nothing too great happens, but often it does, even (/ especially) with people you've never met before. Most of the really good players I've played with over the years I've met that way. And you get a great feel for people who can really play if you find yourself clicking with them when playing totally unrehearsed stuff live in front of an audience.

The very best jams are ones where everybody realises that everybody having a good time is more important than personal ego trips. Very best sessions are the ones where players aren't just out to show off their own egos (there'll always be better players out there!) but are happy to help and encourage others to play well too. I'm lucky that there are some pretty good (and relaxed) sessions here in Amsterdam, and I've actually been getting a lot more active again just lately. Wonder how tonight will go? Am just taking the wee fretless U-bass and my micro bass combo.

Tuesday last went to a great session, newish for me. Played well and enjoyed that a lot. But also loved watching some others clicking into a more jazzy vibe later. Some jaw dropping stuff in fact. A couple of them especially (keys and bass) were so good (and interacted so well) that I'd happily call them world class players. Sort of stuff that either makes you want to give up, or inspires you. Thing is that when you've been made so welcome yourself and joked around with these people you just want to do it again - and better.

The good nights are the ones you mainly remember! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:42 pm

"It would be f'ing monotonous if every gig was good." Johnny Rotten

Moonstone

Post by Moonstone » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 pm

MikeD wrote:...know the feeling. Some gigs are awesome, others not so!!...I always try focusing on the one guy really enjoying himself, here there are 2, one of which was a previous band-member :D :lol:
I use your same technique:
Every time I play in a gig I try to do some show (copying a bit the Angus Young style) in order to catch the public. To do that I search someone who's enjoying the music, because I can't enjoy if there's no one enjoying, he/she gives me the power to live the moment and live the song.

Anyway, I didn't think that indifferent crowd was also in UK. Here in Italy we use to play in front of 2-3 people (because almost no one goes to listen unknown bands, people goes to listen DJs -.-) and pray to be paid. Most musician here said that the Italian people is the problem, but from your photo it seems that happens also in UK.
The_Angers
The Italian rock band
https://facebook.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://soundcloud.com/the_angers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:00 pm

After going to the Boston Music Awards last week and seeing the crop of young hipsters that think they can play and then watching this one band play the most disjointed set and end with the slowest dirge I've ever heard, plus looking like they just walked off the street from their jobs, I realised just how much so many younger bands don't get it when it comes to musical professionalism.

When you're on stage and off, look like you're in a band. Dress the part - and when you're onstage you're there to provide a show! Look at the audience - make contact - go to the edge of the stage like a f'ing rockstar in your solo - hell, even make up some stage extensions that are higher than the stage to stand on and give 'em a show. whether there are fifty people or five hundred give them your all.

Of course I'm assuming you can play - this is the bit that goes above and beyond and what makes a band stand out.

And, so that band with the boring set? They won Best Artist of the Year. I couldn't believe it - poor playing, poor songwriting, poor stage presence, stupid clothing, and they won. Doesn't give me much hope for the Boston Music Scene....

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:35 am

bclaire wrote:When you're on stage and off, look like you're in a band. Dress the part - and when you're onstage you're there to provide a show! Look at the audience - make contact - go to the edge of the stage like a f'ing rockstar in your solo - hell, even make up some stage extensions that are higher than the stage to stand on and give 'em a show. whether there are fifty people or five hundred give them your all.
It finally occurred to me a few weeks ago that I look like a dip$hit on stage wearing shorts. I'm going to stop wearing shorts at shows anymore - if I'm going to be on stage, that is….

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:26 am

Moonstone wrote:
MikeD wrote:...know the feeling. Some gigs are awesome, others not so!!...I always try focusing on the one guy really enjoying himself, here there are 2, one of which was a previous band-member :D :lol:
I use your same technique:
Every time I play in a gig I try to do some show (copying a bit the Angus Young style) in order to catch the public. To do that I search someone who's enjoying the music, because I can't enjoy if there's no one enjoying, he/she gives me the power to live the moment and live the song.

Anyway, I didn't think that indifferent crowd was also in UK. Here in Italy we use to play in front of 2-3 people (because almost no one goes to listen unknown bands, people goes to listen DJs -.-) and pray to be paid. Most musician here said that the Italian people is the problem, but from your photo it seems that happens also in UK.
Well I'm guessing the photo is from Sweden!

Generally people in UK do enjoy live music and most gigs are well attended - at least here in the North
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

CPL
Tiny Terror

Post by CPL » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 pm

One gig I ever had the most fun at was technically not a gig but to try out a drummer with a band I use to be in back in the mid 90's. There was this huge backyard party that this guy had on the occasional weekend and there was a free full bar, grill set up, pool table, the whole 9 yards. We just jammed on some songs and everyone had fun and we even made a few bucks in tips. Not too shabby just to try out a drummer. We wound up playing a few more of those after that as well. I know it wasn't Madison Square Garden, but we were well taken care of.
ImageImageImage

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:34 pm

The sport analogy is spot on for me too, I get the same sinking feeling in my stomach after a bad gig like I would after a bad game of hockey or soccer when I was younger. I also get a natural high that can last for a few days after the really good ones though, like you would after winning a tournament.

Out of the last 3 gigs we've played, 2 of them have been our best in years and the one in the middle was one of our worse.

Like others have said though, the good ones make it all worthwhile!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Gladmarr wrote:It finally occurred to me a few weeks ago that I look like a dip$hit on stage wearing shorts. I'm going to stop wearing shorts at shows anymore - if I'm going to be on stage, that is….
I've got you covered: