Why do Teles sound so good through Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Why do Teles sound so good through Orange?

Post by snickerpuss » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am

Don't get me wrong, I think they sound good through anything, but the other day I was playing an G&L Asat through a friend's AD30 and it just sounded head and shoulders above the SG and Les Paul I ran through that thing, too. I know tone is subjective, but I always found Teles can be a little too bright and brittle through most marshalls. Tiny Terror, Rockerverb, OR100, AD30... They all sound like the second coming of Christ with a Tele in front. Anyone feel me?
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Re: Why do Teles sound so good through Orange?

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

I think it's the combination of singlecoils, the bridge construction and the thickness of an Orange complimenting each other. They balance eachother out. Since playing a Tele, I've found humbucker guitars (the ones I've tried anyway) just a bit too warm and saturated for my taste.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 am

I think the inherent brittleness of Teles is just balanced nicely by the inherent darkness of Oranges. Normally most mahogany/humbucker combinations sound a bit too undefined for me with Orange.

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:33 am

I've been a Tele fan since my teenage years. Since switching to Orange my appreciation for them has increased ten-fold. I also use a Gibson Les Paul Standard but the Tele must stand out because even the drummer in the band was like 'the Tele's the one'!
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Wendigo wrote:I think the inherent brittleness of Teles is just balanced nicely by the inherent darkness of Oranges. Normally most mahogany/humbucker combinations sound a bit too undefined for me with Orange.
This, exactly.

It's similar to when you take a thin Vox or Marshall and plug in some beefy, hot humbuckers. They balance each other.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm a recent Tele convert (mostly down to hearing how good they sound with orange amps) but yea, I'm with you. I love all my guitars through my dual terror but the Tele does sound fantastic!
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:58 pm

It really is heaven on earth, tone-wise. I have hotter, overwound bridge pickups in mine but it just rips. We played last night and the guitar sounded soooo good.

Duesenbergs sound really good, too. For a new guitar, they really have a unique voice and sound! Unlike PRS's which sound like nothing....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Don't try to figure it out, just enjoy it....

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I agree...
I really enjoy playing mine through the RV
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I agree...
I really enjoy playing mine through the RV
every other guitarist i come across has good comments about my hot rod 52 tele and rv50mkii combination. ive gone to jams where other guys scoffed at the sight of a tele, expecting the plinky and shrill tone that are associated with them, and had their jaws dropped when i cranked the gain a bit on the rockerverb.

i do want to make a few tube changes sometime, to kt88s and switch the v1 to something lower gain. i had some issues with a 12ay7 so maybe something else. anything past 1 oclock is too much gain for even modern metal.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 pm

You know I honestly go back and forth on this matter. My LP Studio sounds so thick coming out of my amps, and in comparison my Tele sounds quite thin. The Tele on the other hand cleans up perfectly and cuts more, so it's all a matter of personal preference IMO. I think P90's are glorious through Orange amps. The thickness of a HB, with the clarity of a SC. Gotta love that 60 cycle hum :)

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 pm

I agree with those who said their tones compliment each other very well. My #1 has been a Tele thinline since 1998 and until I had the opportunity to play through my first Orange amp I was luke warm on guitar amps in general. I would use pedals for 50% of the tone I had in my head.

But when I plugged into that first Tiny Terror the light bulb went off in my head! And I was honestly at that shop to buy an AC30 HW.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Jondog wrote:Don't try to figure it out, just enjoy it....
Oh dollywaggle, you're right.

(That's where I've been going wrong!)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 am

I realised after reading this thread that I have never played my Tele through an Orange amp.

It sounds awesome through my OR15. The Tele twang thing and Orange mid thing really do compliment each other.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 am

Thinline_slim wrote:I agree with those who said their tones compliment each other very well. My #1 has been a Tele thinline since 1998 and until I had the opportunity to play through my first Orange amp I was luke warm on guitar amps in general. I would use pedals for 50% of the tone I had in my head.

But when I plugged into that first Tiny Terror the light bulb went off in my head! And I was honestly at that shop to buy an AC30 HW.
Too good. I'm currently running an Asat with the volume and tone rolled to 8. On the amp it's treb at 1:00, mids at 3:00, and bass at 11:00. The gain fluctuates between 12 and 1:00 depending on how loud I can crank the master. The dynamic response is unmatched. Who needs a Dumble? It's my grail tone. Done. Finished.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals