AD30TC plus Vintage 30s = crap sound to my ears!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BrianFantana
Orange Master

AD30TC plus Vintage 30s = crap sound to my ears!!!

Post by BrianFantana » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:42 am

After really listening to my AD30TC through a PPC212 cabinet, I've come to the conclusion that the V30s aren't cutting it for this head and are robbing it of it's potential!!!

Surely I'm not the only one that feels that way.
I have a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog 12" that I'm going to put in the cab to see if that rounds things up a bit.

The sound coming from the amp is just thin, harsh and spiky - and not at all what I fell in love with hearing the AD30.

Anyone here done a speaker swap with success?

Thanks in advance.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: AD30TC plus Vintage 30s = crap sound to my ears!!!

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 am

I swapped out V30's for a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell in my 2/12 cab. I have an OR 50 and love the combination . Try it. Never player an AD 30 but I don't think you can go wrong.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 am

Yep, I've been using the combination of a V30 and a G12 h with my Rv50 (and previously with an ad30htc) in a 212ob and I really like it..... Definitely an improvement over two V30 to my ears
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:42 am

In my ob 212 I have a g12h30 v30 combo that I felt sounded more well rounded and pleasing than two v30's but in my mesa slant cab I have 2v30's and think it's great. I usually use both cabs at once so 3v30's and a g12h. I start tweaking the eq and such if I haven't been jamming with a band for a bit but once I throw in the drummer and bass then it sounds amazing to me.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 am

Have they been broken in yet?

I didn't like the V30 in my R30 combo until maybe a few months ago, though I always use it together with a G12H30 2x12 cab. The combination sounds nice and more well rounded these days.

I must add I've also switched guitars, going from a cheaper parts-Strat to a heavier but much better Telecaster.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

I like 'em.

I went from original greenbacks to V30's- had a pair of Celestions Sidewinders (horrible) along the way and the V30's have been the best of the bunch. I'd be curious to hear other speakers but I'm really happy with what I have.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:Have they been broken in yet?

I didn't like the V30 in my R30 combo until maybe a few months ago...
Managed to break yours in then? I've still not, don't get much chance to really let rip.
(V.30s are notoriously slow to break in, not sure that 30W is really enough to do it properly anyway, certainly not quickly. The tones of well broken in V.30s are very different from new though. (Nicer, smoother!)

@BrianFantana. Have you checked the speakers are properly wired in phase? Would explain 'thin, harsh and spiky', all things a PPC212 shouldn't be...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 pm

LOVE em in my 4 x 12. They are really broken in. Alot of my friends in national acts use my orange cab when they roll through town they dig em so much. :D

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 pm

I didn't care for the V30s either so I went with a Weber Blue Dog AlNico and G12H30. I think it sounds great now and have played with that setup now for probably 4 or 5 years now.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I personally like my rocker 30 and PPC212OB with V30s though I plan on swapping out 1 for a 55Hz scumback H55 (g12h type).

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 pm

a.hun wrote:
misterfolkertsma wrote:Have they been broken in yet?

I didn't like the V30 in my R30 combo until maybe a few months ago...
Managed to break yours in then? I've still not, don't get much chance to really let rip.
(V.30s are notoriously slow to break in, not sure that 30W is really enough to do it properly anyway, certainly not quickly. The tones of well broken in V.30s are very different from new though. (Nicer, smoother!)
Yeah, I think so! It just started to sound a lot smoother since a few months. We rehearse pretty loud and regular (like natural channel at 3pm loudness) so that probably helped :)

But still: I don't really like a V30 on it's own. It's a speaker that in my opinion really needs to be accompanied by a bass-ier comrade.

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:42 am

V30s are a funny animal. They seem to either be loved or hated. I’ve read so many complaints about being spikey. When I purchased my Micro Terror, I tested it through a Hughes and Kettner TM 112 cab, fitted with a 16 Ohm V30, and although I wasn’t in the market for a 1 X 12” cab I purchased it (I was in the market for a 2 X 10” at the time). It has a glorious, well-balanced tone with an emphasis on mids that is almost 3 dimensional. Warm and sweet from clean to distorted. Simply awesome. I also use this cab for my OR15 and it’s like a perfect design for the amp. I also have a 8 Ohm V30 factory fitted to a Fender Super Sonic amp and the result is the same after a break in period.

I understand there are different versions of the V30 with different voicings, so what is fitted to Orange cabinets? Does it make a difference if they are 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm?

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 am

I'm very happy with this combination, I think they balance the AD30 wonderfully.

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:51 am

I hated the V30s in my PPC112 and PPC212OB with both Tiny Terror and OR15. No chance on my part to break them in, as an apartment player, so maybe this is a reason. They were very spiky in the high mids/treble and any lead attempt sounded horrible. I've changed them for a WGS Reaper HP and a WGS Reaper 55, but the spike was there still. I ended up changing them for Eminence Reignmaker and Maverick and finally the sound was smooth. To each his own, I guess.
Last edited by Man1ak on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:47 am

indianDYsummer wrote:I personally like my rocker 30 and PPC212OB with V30s though I plan on swapping out 1 for a 55Hz scumback H55 (g12h type).
Should be great as long as you don't go for the 30W version which might not be safe with the very punchy R.30. The higher rated ones should be AOK though.
misterfolkertsma wrote:
a.hun wrote: Managed to break yours in then? I've still not, don't get much chance to really let rip.
Yeah, I think so! It just started to sound a lot smoother since a few months. We rehearse pretty loud and regular (like natural channel at 3pm loudness) so that probably helped :)

But still: I don't really like a V30 on it's own. It's a speaker that in my opinion really needs to be accompanied by a bass-ier comrade.
Quite agree. Single V.30s don't work as well as multiples or along with other types.
OrangeBoy wrote:I understand there are different versions of the V30 with different voicings, so what is fitted to Orange cabinets? Does it make a difference if they are 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm?
There will be slight differences between the different impedances, inevitable due to construction methods.
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=39483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(DunxB posting there is a former Celestion designer.)

On different versions of V.30s, I don't know of many. The ones made for Mesa were slightly re-voiced I think. Other (amp) manufacturers gave them slightly different power ratings too, eg Marshall used to I think, as did Celestion themselves early on. Also early V.30s were vented (small hole in the back of the magnet with a little grille across it). But AFAIK otherwise the current ones are all pretty much standard.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!