Bad Cat Unleash

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Bad Cat Unleash

Post by Jondog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:47 am

Been talk on a few topics about this lately. Found one used in my area I'm picking up tonight. I'll report back.

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Re: Bad Cat Unleash

Post by pattyzero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:36 pm

I'd never heard of it until a couple fo days ago, I'm interested to hear how it goes!!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Used to have a Bad Cat Leash. Thought it worked OK, but ended up selling it. Figured I did not need one, since the Rocker 30's MV works preety great.

The Unleash has the advantage of an FX Loop and it actually increases the volume of low wattage amps, right? Never played one, but the idea seems to be really cool.

Looking forward for your report.

Cheers

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm

I like that it has an effects loop. I have an effects loop on my amp which works great, but I have the Supernatural reverb which is an awesome pedal and general reverb sounds good, but the special reverbs that have shimmer and modulations sound better in front of the amp. Also, have my homebuilt 5 watt that sounds awesome, I think could take advantage of the re-amping. If I like it I already have the wheels turning on building a cab that has a space to hold it.

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:08 pm

I seem to be in th eminority as I'm most interested in the re-amping feature.

Could be a way to gig my tiny terror hardwired at bigger gigs!!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 am

Fired it up. Not bad, as far as an attenuator goes, it sounds as good or bad (however you look at it) as any attenuator I've used. I've personally never liked attenuators. Sounds good not great, doesn't "squash" the tone like other attenuators I've tried. This is with my Rockers volume at 1/2. I tried it with a low amp volume (8:00 very low) re-amping the signal and I think it does a better job amplifying a signal than attenuating one. I didn't hear any loss of top end or muddiness attenuated or boosted. Overall the liveliness and response of the amp is kind of lost a bit, the amp sounds more HiFi without it. Now, all this is done a bedroom level because I can't crank it at the moment, so that test will have to wait. So far not worth it if your looking to get bedroom volume levels from it. I plan to hook my 2 watt up tomorrow, see how that does.
I am impressed by the effects loop, it works really good and the modulated reverbs on my Supernatural sound better than in the effects loop of my amp, the modulations are more present in the reverb trails.
Found this for a good price in the locals so thought I'd jump on it to give it a go as I've been curious for awhile. It's only a couple months old.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 am

The FX loop is what has caught up my attention on this unit, specially since the Rocker 30 does not have one... Could not find one for sale in Brazil though.... It's nice to hear that this feature sounds good...

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Cranked it up today. Different story! Realized I was using the 16ohm output on my amp last night, not the 8 which it works best with. Tone sounds alot better. Louder volumes are definitely where this thing is best. Hooked my 2 watter up and it sounded really good through it, like a big amp! Great for small watters looking for more volume. Would help those Tiny Terrors be heard and add an effects loop while at it, plus there's two switchable channels.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:29 am

So, do you need a speaker cab for the Tiny Terror and a second cab for the Unleash? I'm confused....

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 am

bclaire wrote:So, do you need a speaker cab for the Tiny Terror and a second cab for the Unleash? I'm confused....
It goes between the amp and the cab as an attenuator would.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 am

Thought it would probably sound pretty good . The re-amping idea is basically sound and very different from conventional power attenuators. It isn't new though and Bad Cat aren't the first to use it. The (badly named) 'Ultimate Attenuator' has been around for years.

Couple of thoughts on it from a while back.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 61#p599661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I always find slightly amusing though is that many people who wouldn't be seen (?heard) dead using a solid state amp are actually quite happy to use one when it is fitted in a re-amping device. Quite right though, I've long said that good solid state amps (run within their power output limits) are very good indeed at cleanly and accurately amplifying signals. If they are fed a nice signal (eg from a nice valve amp's output) section than it really should sound good when amplified cleanly and accurately.

Glad you are happier with the unit now that you sorted out your impedances. 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am

bclaire wrote:So, do you need a speaker cab for the Tiny Terror and a second cab for the Unleash? I'm confused....
No, it has it's own internal load for the amp. The Un-leash has two speaker outputs on it as well and can handle 4,8 or 16 ohm cabs. Also has a line level direct out.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm

So it doesn't do any emulating then? Just a line out with amp sound?
Hmm... the idea sounds cool - just wish it did more.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Wrong track. Try Line 6 Billy! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

acidvoodoo

Post by acidvoodoo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Great piece of gear. I use one all the time with my JTM1, no change in tone from what I can tell. The loop is AWESOME