Reeves Custom Hg10

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Re: Reeves Custom Hg10

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 am

So, after a looong day at work, I finally got home and the Reeves was waiting for me, dying to be unboxed and rocket out!

First impression, it is extremely light!!! Despite of its size (almost the same as the Rocker 30), I think it weights less than the Rebel 20. And, ITS ORANGE!

Looks amazing on the top of the Rocker 30!

No standby switch. Very simple, no bells and whistles (like FX loop or voicing modes), purely plug and play.

So I plugged my Les Paul Standard and put everything at noon. Nice rock tone! Very Marshally - which for me is a good thing.

I played around with the knobs and, with the gain set at 9-11 o'clock, I got GREAT Zeppelin, ACDC, ZZ Top tones. Very JTM 45 on steroids. And the greatest thing - VERY REASONABLE VOLUME. I mean, I finally understood why the previous owner wanted to trade it. I am not sure the amp will hold up on a band situation without being miced up. But for me, it is a good thing. Great tones in reasonable, apartment-friendly volume.

Moving up the gain, the amp gets into 80s hard rock territory. Very nice, but currently, after spending around 40 minutes playing, I prefer the gain at 10-11 o'clock.

Good midrange, nice bass response. The amp is a little monster - so much superior than the Egnater.

No headroom. Although, to be fair, it is only 10 watts and it's not what the amp was designed to do.

To think that I even got money out of this trade... Could not be happier!

Gonna spend some more time with it along the week and try to upload a demo - since there are not too many on youtube,

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 am

You sir have received the deal of a lifetime.

I would love one of these amps for home and jamming usage. As a non-Marshall user I have weirdly been getting into the Marshall tone quite a lot lately.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 am

Yeah!

You wouldnt believe, but I just got an offer that seems preety good to refuse.

A guy want to trade. Guild Nightbird 89 for my Gibson Les Paul Standard Dc. He is also willing to give me a Takamine acoustic guitar (g series). The pickups of the guild have been changes though...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:43 am

Very nice! Good deal!!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:14 am

It looks awesome.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Two points.

1. Awesome, glad you're happy with it!

2. WTH?!? You have a Fargen sitting next to the Rocker and Reeves and I don't think I've seen you mention it? Come on, spill it!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Two points.

1. Awesome, glad you're happy with it!

2. WTH?!? You have a Fargen sitting next to the Rocker and Reeves and I don't think I've seen you mention it? Come on, spill it!
AHAHHA

I thought I'd share with you guys about the Fargen.

It´s a Mini Plex mkII, with Power Scalling and the Decade knob (60s, 70s and 80s).

I got it on a trade last year. Incredible amp, the 60's decade mode is ridiculously nice.

For what I could play so far, I thought the Reeves is somehow similar to it, but not as versatile and cannot be as loud (the Fargen will do bedroom volumes superbly though).

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

enricoromanielo wrote: AHAHHA

It´s a Mini Plex mkII, with Power Scalling and the Decade knob (60s, 70s and 80s).

I got it on a trade last year. Incredible amp, the 60's decade mode is ridiculously nice.

For what I could play so far, I thought the Reeves is somehow similar to it, but not as versatile and cannot be as loud (the Fargen will do bedroom volumes superbly though).
That's seriously awesome. I've really wanted to try a Fargen for some time now but there's no where I could get my hands on one.

And you got it on trade? Wow, did you have to trade another fairly inexpensive PRC mass produced amp to pick up that hand wired beauty? Like a Blackstar maybe? :wink: :lol:

If so keep wherever you live a secret and you'll retire a millionaire on gear trades alone!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
enricoromanielo wrote: AHAHHA

That's seriously awesome. I've really wanted to try a Fargen for some time now but there's no where I could get my hands on one.

And you got it on trade? Wow, did you have to trade another fairly inexpensive PRC mass produced amp to pick up that hand wired beauty? Like a Blackstar maybe? :wink: :lol:

If so keep wherever you live a secret and you'll retire a millionaire on gear trades alone!
:lol:
It is pretty unusual to come accross this kinda gear here in Brazil.

I got the fargen in a trade, I gave an Ibanez Jem dbk (did not dig it at all) and some pedals (including the wampler crush the button) and like 100 dollars or something. It was a good trade, but not as good as the reeves or the guild nightbird I just received.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:39 pm

I used to have a Reeves Custom 12 PS. I liked it a lot, but wished it had more pre-amp gain on tap. It was a little too loose for my partciular taste, but the cleans were great. Glad you like the 10HG! I wish I purchased that instead of the 12. The 10HG is definitely supposed to be in the mini-JCM800 realm. The 12 is more vintage marshall, with a bit of extra sparkle, maybe a bit closer to Hiwatt tone, but IMO it was like a Marshall/Fender hybrid.